Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jimi Hendrix 50 years ago today

RIP Jimi Hendrix 50 years ago today

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Some of the stuff he made has never been surpassed!

A concert mismatch for the ages: Jimi Hendrix backing The Monkees.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...011357916.html
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    A concert mismatch for the ages: Jimi Hendrix backing The Monkees.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...011357916.html
    Yeah.....I wonder if I can get a copy of that concert promo poster!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Yeah.....I wonder if I can get a copy of that concert promo poster!
    It would be only slightly more funny than....

simon-and-garfunkel-and-the-doors-concert-poster-pd.jpg

Actually I would enjoy the S&G/Doors concert more.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Rare footage of Jimi on Maui, 1970.

Sumbitch, I feel ooooold....
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

1970 - man, I was still in junior high. I was not...experienced. Playing the Royal Albert Hall show right now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Playing Electric Ladyland right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Sumbitch, I feel ooooold....
    You could say luckily we got old !

It's thanks to Jimi the Fender Strat has been available all these decades. Fender originally planned on phasing out the Strat and Tele, replacing them with the Jaguar and Jazz Master. He's one guy I'd like to kiss.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It's thanks to Jimi the Fender Strat has been available all these decades. Fender originally planned on phasing out the Strat and Tele, replacing them with the Jaguar and Jazz Master. .
    I've heard that disputed by some of the peopel who worked for Fender. THe line I remember hearing was that Fender's sales dipped because everyone was playing semi-hollow guitars, Gibsons, Gretsches, Rickenbackers, etc, because that's what the British Invasion bands were playing. That's why Fender introduced the Coronado line, because they were trying to compete with that market.

But there's been conflicting stories that came out decades later about whether or not Fender were gonna kill the Strat and Tele. I've heard Fender employees saying the company was on the verge of pulling the plug on the Strat, while others say that was never talked about. But you're basically right, it was Jimi who brought the Strat back to popularity, as everyone else at the time were playing either Les Pauls or Teles (Beck played an Esquire on a lot of the Yardbirds stuff and Page used a Tele with the Yardbirds and the early Zep).

Never heard of him

I kid; I kid ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

RIP. Legendary. My ears are ringing from watching that video with headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Rare footage of Jimi on Maui, 1970.
    Not rare anymore. It's being officially released in November. Just listened to a good part of the entire set today and man does it kill. I've had it on vinyl for decades and forgot how great it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    1970 - man, I was still in junior high. I was not...experienced. Playing the Royal Albert Hall show right now.
    My favorite show of his and one of the absolute best performances. Some day, we'll get an official release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've seen the original Rainbow Bridge film- about 15-20 minutes of Hendrix and the rest is completely unwatchable. This new Maui clip looks so great but it's badly filmed. Filming the crowd when Hendrix is soloing, WTF?? But that's all they had to work with now, I guess.

There was a cinema screening of that famous second Royal Albert Hall show last year. Not sure whether it was the complete concert though. That's the Hendrix show I personally have played most. 'Stone Free', 'Bleeding Heart', 'Little Wing' and 'Voodoo Child' are definitive performances.

The oft-maligned RAH show the week before has a few train-wrecks (seems there were some serious sound issues on stage) like 'Red House', but some great performances too. 'Spanish Castle Magic' is really epic, going into a jam around what became the 'Message To Love' riff.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There was a cinema screening of that famous second Royal Albert Hall show last year. Not sure whether it was the complete concert though. That's the Hendrix show I personally have played most. 'Stone Free', 'Bleeding Heart', 'Little Wing' and 'Voodoo Child' are definitive performances.
    I would add a few others as definitive, like "Hear My Train A-Comin'. I think it's the best show I've ever heard.

NP: Axis: Bold As Love

Love this album.

NP: Machine F***ing Gun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Machine F***ing Gun.....
    Have you ever heard the version from his Berkley soundcheck?

you can disregard the footage

Have you ever heard the version from his Berkley soundcheck?
    I tried. I gave up a minute in. The video with the loud shooting ruined it. If there's a raw version without the video I'll check it out.

I do have the DVD which also has the audio for the Live At Berkeley CD on it. Not sure if I've heard a soundcheck version.

The thing with Berkeley is that the most famous tracks ('Hear My Train A Comin', 'Johnny B Goode') are in the first show that day. Yet the second show is what came out on CD as Live At Berkeley. I've heard the first show and there are some issues with tuning towards the end but ISTR the then-new 'Straight Ahead' was the worst affected track.

This is a good site for making your way through the tangled web of posthumous Hendrix releases.

http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/contents.htm
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-19-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I tried. I gave up a minute in. The video with the loud shooting ruined it. If there's a raw version without the video I'll check it out.
    I'm pretty sure that's only the first few seconds, isn't it?

A better link

I like this one better than the Fillmore one.

Music will always be the biggest love of my life. But there are certain musicians that have totally gutted me upon first hearing of their deaths. I cried for several days afterwards. Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, John Lennon and Ennio Morricone. Jimi especially hit me hard at age 16. My friends and I loved him dearly. We saw him perform in 1969. From the very first listen to Are You Experienced in 1967, I knew that this man was very special, and in a league of his own. It's hard to believe that it's been 50 years since that dark day. Here's a glimpse of the concert I attended. And an appropriate song...

Last edited by AncientChord; 09-19-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.