Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Jimi Hendrix 50 years ago today

If Jimi lived longer I think he'd probably go through a jazz phase, a funk phase, an a metal phase. I don't hear Jimi doing symphonic prog.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

And I still think the Voodoo Child/Stepping Stone/Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze/Villanova Junction suite from Woodstock is one of the most amazing things imaginable.
    +1000
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

There is a newer one disc Winterland collection, just called Winterland. About half of what was on Concerts is on it. Actually I've just looked and there's nothing exclusive to Concerts now. I wasn't crazy about the Berkeley 'Hey Joe' on Concerts- there was radio interference on it or something. That and 'Purple Haze' rarely lended themselves to stretching out.

http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/live80s.htm
    Last edited by JJ88; 6 Days Ago at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

And I still think the Voodoo Child/Stepping Stone/Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze/Villanova Junction suite from Woodstock is one of the most amazing things imaginable.
    Agreed!

The story behind Jimi and Miles, was that Alan Douglas wanted to nudge Jimi towards a jazz direction - Jimi was becoming over-reliant on Douglas to make all his decisions for him, but agreed that a trio with Miles and Tony Williams was worth exploring.

The three artists agreed to waive fees and go for royalties from any recordings released and a recording session was booked in for 8.00am.

Hendrix was in the studio early waiting for the others, when Miles called at 7.30am and demanded 50k up front. Hendrix was pissed at that and tried to call Miles back, and Miles started playing hard to get, getting his wife to say he wasn't at home etc.

Then Hendrix got a call from Williams saying "I hear you've just agreed to pay Miles 50k - I want the same."

Hendrix then walked away from the project.

[I was just reading about this episode last night in the book Setting The Record Straight, by archivist John McDermott and engineer Eddie Kramer - highly recommended for its factual approach and critical overview of the music, good and not so good.]