Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Selling Unauthorized CD-Rs? (Not third-party)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Amazon Selling Unauthorized CD-Rs? (Not third-party)

I don't have real confirmation on this yet, but I just received a Daevid Allen CD that I bought directly from Amazon (not from a third-party Amazon seller) that looks like a CD-R, and Amazon has a note in the description saying "CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com." I hadn't noticed that note when I ordered, as the CD is part of the Obscura Series (#15, Daevid Allen Solo At The Axiom) and all the others look alike, but this one has slightly different looking packaging (it came in a Jewel case for one thing, which none of the other CDs in the series have).

I also just noticed that another CD I bought from Amazon in 2011, Gong Global Family Live in Brazil, is the same, and has the same note.

I emailed Floating World, which owns Voiceprint, and asked them about it. I received a reply from someone at Floating World immediately, saying it was odd and to let them check it out. So I don't know yet - maybe Amazon has some agreement with Voiceprint that this guy is unaware of - but I'm wondering if anyone else here has encountered this, or knows that Amazon has agreements to make and sell CDRs of some CDs, etc.

The weird thing about the Obscura series disk is that it's supposed to be a limited edition of 1000 (all the others say that on the back, this one does not!) so why would Voiceprint allow Amazon to make CDRs on demand?

Very puzzling. I smell a rat, but don't want to jump to conclusions. But you can do it for me!

I especially thought someone like Steve from Wayside or Aymeric from Calyx might have some insight into this. (Sorry to keep assuming you two know everything that's going on but...well...you do! I'm really interested to find out what the deal is.

Amazon has an on-demand program that some labels subscribe to in order to keep lesser selling titles in print.

I have no problem with that except in the case of something that's supposed to be a limited edition. Also, in their listings Amazon should ALWAYS refer to it as a CD-R and never a CD.

It's strange, I've almost never needed to return anything to Amazon, but this will be the third item this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't have real confirmation on this yet, but I just received a Daevid Allen CD that I bought directly from Amazon (not from a third-party Amazon seller) that looks like a CD-R, and Amazon has a note in the description saying "CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com." I hadn't noticed that note when I ordered, as the CD is part of the Obscura Series (#15, Daevid Allen Solo At The Axiom) and all the others look alike, but this one has slightly different looking packaging (it came in a Jewel case for one thing, which none of the other CDs in the series have).

I also just noticed that another CD I bought from Amazon in 2011, Gong Global Family Live in Brazil, is the same, and has the same note.

I emailed Floating World, which owns Voiceprint, and asked them about it. I received a reply from someone at Floating World immediately, saying it was odd and to let them check it out. So I don't know yet - maybe Amazon has some agreement with Voiceprint that this guy is unaware of - but I'm wondering if anyone else here has encountered this, or knows that Amazon has agreements to make and sell CDRs of some CDs, etc.

The weird thing about the Obscura series disk is that it's supposed to be a limited edition of 1000 (all the others say that on the back, this one does not!) so why would Voiceprint allow Amazon to make CDRs on demand?

Very puzzling. I smell a rat, but don't want to jump to conclusions. But you can do it for me!

I especially thought someone like Steve from Wayside or Aymeric from Calyx might have some insight into this. (Sorry to keep assuming you two know everything that's going on but...well...you do! I'm really interested to find out what the deal is.
    I believe this is on the up and up; they've also been doing it with oop blue note titles like wayne shorter's odyssey of iska. They provide a properly burned CDR with a label, as well as the cd booklet reproduced to look like the original.

But I am quite certain this is on the up and up, and that there's no rat to be smelled

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    But I am quite certain this is on the up and up, and that there's no rat to be smelled
    It was really just the reaction of the guy from Floating World that made me think, not that Amazon was doing this on the sly, but that they might be doing it with some albums they weren't supposed to in excess zeal.

Anyone remember the Tangerine Dream "Boot Moon" bootleg releases? At the time, the word was that these were not authorized by the band, however I see that Amazon is still carrying them (all from third-party sellers though). Does anyone know if these were in fact somehow allowed by whoever holds the rights? I bought these from Amazon back when they were first released, and two of them each had one side of audio that belonged to the other - they were mixed up in the plant or whatever.

I got the same note from Amazon with Starcastle's CITADEL.

It's a CDR and the artwork looks blurry and not at all like the crisp original cover.

Looked like a boot to me, but as some have said here, it could well be authorized.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Some artists at CDBaby sell their music on CDRs, and they say so on their samples pages. That kind of bothered me initially but then I thought, what do I care. it's still on a disc.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Anyone remember the Tangerine Dream "Boot Moon" bootleg releases? At the time, the word was that these were not authorized by the band, however I see that Amazon is still carrying them (all from third-party sellers though). Does anyone know if these were in fact somehow allowed by whoever holds the rights?
    Whatever manufacturing effups there might have been (more common than not with the level of quality control we've come to expect in the TD universe), these are official. For example: http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/vault_iv.htm

Well, get the digital download instead. Why would you want a CD-R with some fake inserts instead of factory-pressed CD (which should last much longer afaik when compared to some noname CD-R) with all the inlays, booklet etc? These CD-R deals remind me of lip-sync performances: the "product" is there obviously, but you feel cheated anyway...
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Phil Collins Big Band - Hot Night in Paris
    was the same way, at least at one time
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Well, get the digital download instead
    This

Any CD's I purchase only get ripped and immediately filed away 4E anyway

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Why would you want a CD-R with some fake inserts instead of factory-pressed CD (which should last much longer afaik when compared to some noname CD-R) with all the inlays, booklet etc?
    Unfortunately the facts do not support your argument. CD-R are generally expected to last *LONGER* than manufactured CDs (50-200 years versus 10-50). However manufacturing variances can change the ratio. Storage in the sun nullifies all claims. And of course applying a paper label to a CD-R is the quickest route to early failure.

When CDs first came out, we were assured that they would last practically forever, and could withstand virtually any abuse that could be hurled at (or on) them.

They lied on both counts.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I believe this is on the up and up; they've also been doing it with oop blue note titles like wayne shorter's odyssey of iska. They provide a properly burned CDR with a label, as well as the cd booklet reproduced to look like the original.

True.

Curt Smith of Tears For Fears re-released his 90's project Mayfield via Amazon on-demand. I know this for a fact.

^ The guy from Floating World contacted me today and said Amazon is NOT supposed to be selling CD-Rs of the Gong Family Live in Brazil album as it's part of their "core catalog."

Yeah it happened to me once, my ex wife asked to buy two copies of a CD by a pop artist to give as Christmas gifts to her girlfriends, when they arrived two days before Christmas it turned out they were CD-R's, I went back to the Amazon site and saw that CD-R policy note which I didn't notice before, it kind of sucks, since then I read very carefully everything before ordering...

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I got the same note from Amazon with Starcastle's CITADEL.

It's a CDR and the artwork looks blurry and not at all like the crisp original cover.

Looked like a boot to me, but as some have said here, it could well be authorized.
    Not sure, but I think that was Renaissance Records' doing, not Amazon's. From what I heard, Renaissance did a first pressing on pressed CD, and subsequent copies on CD-R.

Banned
    Thanks, JKL, for starting this thread. I've always wondered about those CD-R's. So, the artwork is bogus, too?

Well, get the digital download instead. Why would you want a CD-R with some fake inserts instead of factory-pressed CD (which should last much longer afaik when compared to some noname CD-R) with all the inlays, booklet etc? These CD-R deals remind me of lip-sync performances: the "product" is there obviously, but you feel cheated anyway...
    Assuming that Amazon's CD-Rs are a copy of the original CD, the tracks from the CD-Rs will have better audio quality than the ones from an Amazon digital download.

The artworklooks like it's printed on an ink jet printer.

When you search, for, say Gong Family Live, and you get the results like CD, MP3, etc. it should just say CD-R instead of CD. Then people wouldn't order them by accident.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not sure, but I think that was Renaissance Records' doing, not Amazon's. From what I heard, Renaissance did a first pressing on pressed CD, and subsequent copies on CD-R.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...26640&pop-up=1

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    When CDs first came out, we were assured that they would last practically forever, and could withstand virtually any abuse that could be hurled at (or on) them.

They lied on both counts.
    They also told us that prices would drop. So, make that three.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Unfortunately the facts do not support your argument. CD-R are generally expected to last *LONGER* than manufactured CDs (50-200 years versus 10-50).
    Quoted from some forum:

CD-Rs use organic dye, whereas pressed CDs do not. Organic dye will gradually degrade over time, depending on the storage and climatic conditions where the discs are kept. CD-Rs are also not all equal. Depending on the materials and quality control used, some may last longer than others.
    Pressed discs on the other hand, since they do not use organic dye should last longer in general.

Organic dye my ass. Go rub a CD-R on your speaker magnet.....and then play it...