Thread: Aka Moon

Aka Moon

I've never heard anything by this Belgian 'jazz' trio that doesn't sound less than fresh. And if you are a sonics freak, their stuff can't be beat.

Any other thoughts on Aka Moon? I love Invisible Moon and their latest, Opus 111 (perhaps the most soulful vocals you'll ever hear from Fredy Massamba).

One of my favourite bands of all time. They've never put out a record that's less than excellent, IMO, and the rhythm section of Stéphane Galland and Michel Hatzigeorgiou is up there with the best on the planet.

The series of collaborations they've done with musicians from different musical cultures all over the world is outstanding, but my favourite stuff is still with the basic trio. If I had to pick a single favourite it'd probably be Rebirth from 1994:

The 20-CD box set of their albums up to 2017, Constellations, is stellar value - still available from the label for €70! Every home should have one.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 09-18-2020 at 04:44 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Saw a Jaco tribute at Melkweg in Amsterdam in 2001 , Galland and Hatzigeorgiu did a 20 min drum bass workout , stellar stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Saw a Jaco tribute at Melkweg in Amsterdam in 2001 , Galland and Hatzigeorgiu did a 20 min drum bass workout , stellar stuff .
    Fantastic! I would have loved to have seen that.

Bandcamp Profile

I've followed Aka Moon since they were still a quartet called Nasa Na with guitarist Pierre Van Dormael and I saw them countless times at their public rehearsal at the Kaai every wednesday evening.

Can't say I've enjoyed everyone of their project equally, but all of them were quality. There are a dozen one-off projects that were never committed to tape as well. It's kind of too bad they won't include Fabien Fiorini as a permanent member, IMHO, but I guess they feel it would restrain their freedom.

Cassol's solo albvums are usually just as good, though I've adhered less with those involving sacred/classical music.
    Hatzi's solo musical project are generally greek folk oriented
    Galland's latest project called Kem is also quite enjoyable.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've followed Aka Moon since they were still a quartet called Nasa Na with guitarist Pierre Van Dormael and I saw them countless times at their public rehearsal at the Kaai every wednesday evening.

Can't say I've enjoyed everyone of their project equally, but all of them were quality. There are a dozen one-off projects that were never committed to tape as well. It's kind of too bad they won't include Fabien Fiorini as a permanent member, IMHO, but I guess they feel it would restrain their freedom.

Cassol's solo albvums are usually just as good, though I've adhered less with those involving sacred/classical music.
    Hatzi's solo musical project are generally greek folk oriented
    Galland's latest project called Kem is also quite enjoyable.
    I envy this! Of course we have a lot of good bands in London, but even so...

I've not really explored the side projects of Cassol, Galland or Hatzigeorgiou very far, but I have been meaning to find time to dig in more. There's a CD Hatzigeorgiou did in 2015, La basse d'Orphee, that looks very interesting from the Discogs listing. But I've no idea how to track it down.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I envy this! Of course we have a lot of good bands in London, but even so...
    I'd love to be in Lodon to see the current Ldn jazz scene (Shabaka, Nubya, etc...)

I've not really explored the side projects of Cassol, Galland or Hatzigeorgiou very far, but I have been meaning to find time to dig in more. There's a CD Hatzigeorgiou did in 2015, La basse d'Orphee, that looks very interesting from the Discogs listing. But I've no idea how to track it down.
    I'll check it out if I can find it for you.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd love to be in Lodon to see the current Ldn jazz scene (Shabaka, Nubya, etc...)
    It's a great period for the London jazz scene, no doubt. The appearance of babies has pretty much kept me away from gigs over the last four years but I used to get to see quite a lot before that. Sons of Kemet were always particularly worth catching!

I'll check it out if I can find it for you.
    That is extremely kind of you, and much appreciated. Of course if I can help in a similar way with anything from the UK I'd be happy to (though Bandcamp seems to cover most things these days...).

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I've not really explored the side projects of Cassol, Galland or Hatzigeorgiou very far, but I have been meaning to find time to dig in more.
    Most of Cassol's solo catalog (usually involves Aka Moon musicians anyway) is top notch. You should run out and get Strange Fruit if you haven't heard it...

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Can't say I've enjoyed everyone of their project equally, but all of them were quality.
    Aka Moon begun my descent into European jazz outside of ECM. I've been following them since the shortly after they put out the Invisible trilogy. There were several things that appealed to me about the group. They embodied the spirit of M-Base style jazz, and Steve Coleman and the Five Elements seemed to be an influence on a chunk of artists in the Belgian and French scenes. Additionally, I was a big fan of Embryo and their explorations of integrating a variety of other cultural influences into their music. Then when you add Cassol's amazing compositional, adaptation, and arrangement talents, an unparalleled rhythm section, and a crossover appeal to prog, classical, and fusion, it was like the perfect storm for my ears.

Soon, I scooped up their whole back catalog. Additionally, I became rather voracious about Belgian and French jazz in general. I purchased much of what was on the WERF label, Igloo, and a few others. I love the majority of their work, but unlike Masco, I prefer the combos and ensembles to the trio music. It's not like they don't create great music as a trio, but Cassol's strength is his arrangements, not as much his playing.

There are so many good albums I hesitate to name my favorites, but Elohim, Invisible Sun and Invisible Moon get the most plays from their early material. And Aka Balkan Moon/Alef Ba and this new one Opus 111 are their best recent albums imo.

And I completely envy Trane for having been able to see them live. I have some of those rare live recordings and I would have loved to have seen some of that in person.

FWIW, here is a selective Gnosis ranking of some of my favorite Belgian jazz albums that are beyond Aka Moon for anyone interested in exploring.

14 Cassol, Fabrizio Strange Fruit Bel 2012
    14 Octurn 21 Emanations Bel 2006
    13 Cassol, Fabrizio / Kris DeFoort Variations On A Love Supreme Bel 1995
    13 De Masure, Geoffroy Tribu Bel 2001
    13 Octurn Dimensions Bel 2002
    13 Octurn / Pierre Van Dormael North Country Suite Bel 2007
    13 VSPRS Orchestra (Fabrizio Cassol) VSPRS Bel 2006
    12 Cassol, Fabrizio Pitié Bel 2009
    12 DeFoort, Kris Diving Poet Society Bel 2017
    12 DeFoort, Kris / Basement Party Live at the Werf Bel 2006
    12 Grande Formation, La Anyone Lived In A Pretty How Town Bel 1991
    12 Octurn / Ictus Gamelan Bel 2013
    12 Octurn / Magic Malik _XPs (live) Bel 2008
    11 3io (Fiorini, Lehr, Sardjoe) Something Red in the Blue Bel 2008
    11 aRTET Secondary Interrogation Bel 2007
    11 aRTET Watts Up Bel 2008
    11 Deep in the Deep Snake Ear Bel 2000
    11 DeFoort, Kris Passages Bel 1999
    11 DeFoort, Kris / Kessels, McFadden, Quatuor Danel ConVerSations / ConSerVations Bel 2005
    11 Dumoulin, Jozef / Lidlboj Trees Are Always Right Bel 2009
    11 Dumoulin, Jozef / Red Hill Orchestra Trust Bel 2014
    11 Galland, Stéphane & Kem The Mystery of Kem Bel 2018
    11 Grande Formation, La La Galilee Bel 1994
    11 Maak's Spirit Live Bel 1998
    11 Maak's Spirit Al Majmaa Bel 2004
    11 Maak's Spirit Stroke Bel 2004
    11 Maak's Spirit 5 Bel 2006
    11 Pierre, Antoine Urbex Bel 2016
    11 Trio Bravo Quatrieme Monde Bel 1990
    11 Van Dormael, Pierre Vivaces Bel 2001

I had known of Aka Moon , but hadn't heard them. A while back, a PE member (rottersclub, maybe?) and I were chatting, and they mentioned that my band Tamandua kinda reminded them of Aka Moon. My local shop actually has multiple copies of Rebirth (!), so I picked it up. I dig it, and can hear the similarities. Jazz/"prog"/"world music" fusion, I guess. Our "world music" (kinda silly term) influences come more from The Middle East and Asia, though.

OK, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    FWIW, here is a selective Gnosis ranking of some of my favorite Belgian jazz albums that are beyond Aka Moon for anyone interested in exploring.

14 Cassol, Fabrizio Strange Fruit Bel 2012
    14 Octurn 21 Emanations Bel 2006
    13 Cassol, Fabrizio / Kris DeFoort Variations On A Love Supreme Bel 1995
    13 De Masure, Geoffroy Tribu Bel 2001
    13 Octurn Dimensions Bel 2002
    13 Octurn / Pierre Van Dormael North Country Suite Bel 2007
    13 VSPRS Orchestra (Fabrizio Cassol) VSPRS Bel 2006
    12 Cassol, Fabrizio Pitié Bel 2009
    12 DeFoort, Kris Diving Poet Society Bel 2017
    12 DeFoort, Kris / Basement Party Live at the Werf Bel 2006
    12 Grande Formation, La Anyone Lived In A Pretty How Town Bel 1991
    12 Octurn / Ictus Gamelan Bel 2013
    12 Octurn / Magic Malik _XPs (live) Bel 2008
    11 3io (Fiorini, Lehr, Sardjoe) Something Red in the Blue Bel 2008
    11 aRTET Secondary Interrogation Bel 2007
    11 aRTET Watts Up Bel 2008
    11 Deep in the Deep Snake Ear Bel 2000
    11 DeFoort, Kris Passages Bel 1999
    11 DeFoort, Kris / Kessels, McFadden, Quatuor Danel ConVerSations / ConSerVations Bel 2005
    11 Dumoulin, Jozef / Lidlboj Trees Are Always Right Bel 2009
    11 Dumoulin, Jozef / Red Hill Orchestra Trust Bel 2014
    11 Galland, Stéphane & Kem The Mystery of Kem Bel 2018
    11 Grande Formation, La La Galilee Bel 1994
    11 Maak's Spirit Live Bel 1998
    11 Maak's Spirit Al Majmaa Bel 2004
    11 Maak's Spirit Stroke Bel 2004
    11 Maak's Spirit 5 Bel 2006
    11 Pierre, Antoine Urbex Bel 2016
    11 Trio Bravo Quatrieme Monde Bel 1990
    11 Van Dormael, Pierre Vivaces Bel 2001
    Great list, thanks! There's much to explore here - I've got exactly two of these records.

Bandcamp Profile