Thread: Magma Perpignan Mar 2020 pre-lockdown

Magma Perpignan Mar 2020 pre-lockdown

There are three clips from this: Here is the first, and you can locate the other 2 from it. :-) It is right from before lockdown. The new band.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^ It's OK, but would be better with Billy Sherwood.

Bubu's tone was better. /rant
    bass player and singer in an occult heavy prog band called Papangu
    https://papangu.bandcamp.com/

Marco- very much. I could rant as well. What I hear here sounds tentative, which I suppose is to be expected since they had had little chance to play together. I like the dual keys, and the choir, but the bass leaves me feeling like something is missing; it does not dance and slide around like Bubu's best. This is really notable in parts of Wurdah Itah and in Theusz Hamtaahk, in the parts where guitar and bass and playing in synchrony. I wonder if they have even been rehearsing since lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Marco- very much. I could rant as well. What I hear here sounds tentative, which I suppose is to be expected since they had had little chance to play together. I like the dual keys, and the choir, but the bass leaves me feeling like something is missing; it does not dance and slide around like Bubu's best. This is really notable in parts of Wurdah Itah and in Theusz Hamtaahk, in the parts where guitar and bass and playing in synchrony. I wonder if they have even been rehearsing since lockdown.
    One could blame the mix, too. It's not really balanced - maybe recorded straight outta the soundboard as a stereo track - and the bass could have used some compression.
    But still, that overtly scooped tone and lack of proper Magma legato is Top's fault.

The keys were outta sync in the MDK guitar solo vamp section too.
    bass player and singer in an occult heavy prog band called Papangu
    https://papangu.bandcamp.com/

Give that Boy a Fighting chance, having to follow his Father the "Infernal Machina" and Bubu "the" Bass is a hard thing to do

This lineup might have a chance of being good, but I really don't like the tone choices of Thierry Eliez. And Simon Goubert's MDK "solo" was absolutely nightmarish.
    The band as a whole feels sort of incohesive, but that's not unexpected given for how short a time they've been playing. Having six vocalists in a loud rock/jazz context is pretty challenging, and it was hard to hear much of the whole vocal ensemble most of the time...
    Hopefully Boy-Top develops his style, right now I don't think he has enough attack in his playing.
    Those are my cheery impressions.

I think you are all a bit harsh, having first read this thread and later listening myself- I was pleasantly surprised, this pretty good for an embryonic show by this specific incarnation, if from here it will only go up then this is a pretty solid starting point, and a highly enjoyable show.

I dunno. Would you want to be the person replacing Phillipe Bussonet?