Thread: Slade - Whatever Happened to Slade

Slade - Whatever Happened to Slade

This is for the most part I donít think this is considered Slades best effort but Iíve seen some high praise for it by some fans. I find it to be Slades heaviest album with crunching guitar riffs. I love it all the way through and donít think thereís one bad song on it. Iíve always felt as though you donít have to be a Slade fan to enjoy the album. One of my favorite guitar albums of all time. Any other fans on here?

It might have been Slade's rawest effort but unfortunately Slade were a very average band. However, along with Play It Loud they're their best albums.

PS. Gypsy Roadhog is the track that does not fit there i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's a rough and rocking album, just a shot in the dark by a band that was out of both options and fucks to give. Play it loud!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Heard the whole album on YT. Yeah it's heavy. This is what heavy metal sounded like in 1977. Good, rockin' album.

I haven't listened to these guys in years, haven't really even thought of them in a long time. But I saw them live back in 1975, opening for ZZ Top on their Fandango Tour. Slade were so good as an opening act that ZZ Top was a complete bore by comparison.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

'Gypsy Roadhog' was a single but not one of their better ones IMHO. The single and album were pretty much a commercial disaster. In the earlier part of the 70s, Slade and T Rex were the biggest singles acts in the UK. Their attempt at cracking America with a 'heavier' sound in this mid 70s period not only failed to do that, but commercially derailed them in the UK as well.

They did ultimately make some inroads into the US market with those 80s hits (maybe helped along by Quiet Riot covering 'Cum On Feel The Noize').

Just watched a Slade documentary on YT titled...."It's Slade." Very entertaining and funny. Recommended.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Gypsy Roadhog' was a single but not one of their better ones IMHO. The single and album were pretty much a commercial disaster. In the earlier part of the 70s, Slade and T Rex were the biggest singles acts in the UK. Their attempt at cracking America with a 'heavier' sound in this mid 70s period not only failed to do that, but commercially derailed them in the UK as well.

They did ultimately make some inroads into the US market with those 80s hits (maybe helped along by Quiet Riot covering 'Cum On Feel The Noize').
    Somehow this post made me want to put on Status Quo!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Status Quo were pretty much one-hit wonders in the US, I believe. But big singles and album sellers for many years here- even now, really. I like their 60s/70s stuff, though not what followed. I'd say the double Live! album from 1976 is one of the best rock live albums.

Slayed? is probably the Slade album I listen to most. 'Look At Last Nite' is a great album track, though it was also on their first best of 'Sladest'.

Slade (starting with the 'My Friend Stan' single) then started to take on a more Beatles-influenced style...it suited them, actually! I never really liked their 80s hits that much.

The eons are closing
    I was in London from 76 thru 80 - the Quo is a big part of my time there

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I wrote a long post in reply to the original message and it somehow got deleted...never mind.

Slade started out as Ambrose Slade, and were a sort of skinhead band...short hair, bovver boots, turned up jeans etc.

They changed to Slade in the early seventies and started to produce short, catchy, rocky singles like Cuz I Luv You, Mama Were All Crazy Now etc.

They had moderate success then they started becoming more and more flamboyant with their clothing, and were always a highlight on Top Of The Pops.

The band were an interesting mix...lead singer Noddy Holder (who went on to be a radio and TV presenter) was a good frontman, and he had that type of voice that could be gravelly and yet subg in a high register at the same time. Reminded me a bit of AC DCs Brian Johnston in that regard.

Guitarist Dave Hill was the outrageous one, often wearing silver wigs, glitter and also had custom made guitars, one which said ' Super Yob' if I remember correctly.

Bassist Jimmy Lea was tge talented musician of the band. He also played piano and violin, and may have also played the guitar parts on many of the albums.

Drummer Don Powell was 'the quiet one' of the band. He later suffered a very bad car accident, and though he returned to the band I dont think he was ever quite the same.

The band had a string of hits in the 70s, the best know of which was Merry Christmas, which became and still is a perennial favourite.

Though they were often considered a glam rock band, they had a harder edge to them than that, but could also write ballads and anthems when they wanted, such as Everyday and My Oh My. And occasional whimsical singalong stuff like My Friend Stan.

They all but disappeared at the end of the 70s, but in the 80s they made a bit of a comeback. They were invited to play the Reading Rock Festival after a minor hit with Runaway, and by all accounts went down a storm with the rock crowd. But that success didn't last.

I think a version of the band soldiered on...not sure if they are still going.

I did like Cheap Tricks version of one of their songs When The Lights Are Out a few years back. Both bands were able to make those poppy singalong songs and so it was a good fit.

The above is all purely from memory by the way, so apologies for any inaccuracies.

It must be going on thirty years since Noddy Holder and Jim Lea were in any incarnation of Slade. But then they were the songwriters, including the omnipresent Christmas one, which is a regular yearly income right there.

They came close to a full reunion circa 2007/8 but there were still underlying personal tensions, apparently, so it fizzled out.

Noddy Holder had a terrific rock voice. I never much cared for Brian Johnson's voice myself; at full throttle, Holder's voice does have that hell-for-leather Bon Scott quality.

I saw an interview with Noddy where he said the last time they all got into a room together the same arguments and bickering started immediately. So he got up and walked out. I'm not sure what the fighting is about other than Dave and Don hating each other, but who knows.

I only saw them once, sandwiched between the Ian Gillan Band and Nazareth in a mid-size Midwest arena. They blew both acts out of the water, playing with a lot of focus and flying around the stage. They definitely knew how to put on a show. Also, they had that massive wall of amps turned up full and it was ear-splitting. My ears rang forever.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like the way Noddy goes from his speaking voice to that giant brawling one when he counts down. Warning, you will hear the Christmas song.