Thread: Box of Shamans - Belief of Illusion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Box of Shamans - Belief of Illusion

This 2015 album was just reissued, and is a great Prog album with a really strong vocalist (like an alternate Jon Anderson). I see it’s somehow related to the band Mars Hollow. Can anyone remind me of the actual name of the guy from Mars Hollow who used to post here (I think under the member name Mars Hollow)?

I’m curious if he’s on this album. I miss his posts! I know there was some kind of angry break up of the band. I never listened to them, but now I should. I think this album is also related to the band that came about after the split, called Heliopolis, and the singer is I think from the band Ten Jinn. I is confuzzled!

I see Heliopolis played at a ROSfest, so someone here should be able to clear this up!

Oh, Melodic Revolutions Records is selling the CD and digital album on Bandcamp. Their CD prices are good!

Wasn't that Kerry Chicoine who posted under Kerrykompost or so..

Jon Neudorf
    Yes that's him.

Jon Neudorf
    Mars Hollow was indeed an excellent band.

Jon Neudorf
    Heliopolis is also very good. Only one album, City of the Sun, is excellent retro style prog done in tradition of Yes, et all. Nice melodies as well has a good amount of eclecticism.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Yes. A very nice guy.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I’m curious if he’s on this album. I miss his posts! I know there was some kind of angry break up of the band. I never listened to them, but now I should. I think this album is also related to the band that came about after the split, called Heliopolis, and the singer is I think from the band Ten Jinn. I is confuzzled!
    Belief and Illusion is a very good album. I notice a big Yes and Rush influence but the guys are not aping (like for example Wobbler at Rites at Dawn or some Glass Hammer albums), they add a strong personal approach on that style.

And yes, they are members of Heliopolis. Their drummer was also on Mars Hollow but Kerry is not with them.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Oh yeah, how did I forget that? I don’t think he was involved in this album.

Heliopolis sans Kerry became Amuzeum who very recently released an album.

Didn't Kerry go all Grizzly Adams and move to the high desert in Cali? Hope he's OK, with what's going on now.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Heliopolis sans Kerry became Amuzeum who very recently released an album.
    Ohh, I had no idea Amuzeum was connected to Heliopolis. Thanks, Greg. When I bought the Amuzeum CD I judged it by it's cover, which looked sort of similar to the cover of a few of Laser's Edge's metal releases (on the Sensory sublabel). Imagine my surprise when I first put it on! Not...at...all...metal! I haven't given it a real listen yet, but MRR has been putting out some good releases lately, and I always admire Nick's dedication to physical releases in eco-friendly packaging at a good price. He emails out a nice newsletter too, if you subscribe to the mailing list.