Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream 10-CD Box Set 1980-1983

Can't. Stop. Buying. Box. Sets.

This fall is Boxset Fest 2020 and my wallet is on fire.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I've saved a few grand in concert tickets and festival passes. A box set (or two) isn't going to tip the scales too much
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Another tempting box set. I have the regular albums, which is the same reason I haven't picked up Hades yet. Does anyone know how much the full concert differs from Logos as there is just a months time between the two? Hades is in the running for the Christmas list, (you got to start early!) and I have to decide if this makes it also.

Also in the running so far KC Meltdown, PF The Later Years, and possibly the new KC box.

Must.Win.Lotto!
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-14-2020 at 07:25 AM.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the Dominion live set spans two discs so it must be a fair bit of new material.

Dude...Hades. For two full discs of additional outtakes from Phaedra and a complete Oedipus Tyrannus, it's SO worth the coin.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm not sure, but it looks like the Dominion live set spans two discs so it must be a fair bit of new material.

Dude...Hades. For two full discs of additional outtakes from Phaedra and a complete Oedipus Tyrannus, it's SO worth the coin.
    Oedipus Tyrannis is sooo good. I am going to have to find the scratch for it. I wish these boxes sets would come out like Pink Floyd's The Early Years sets where there were a bunch of books. I ended up getting 3 of them and will probably pick up at least one more. But the Later Years isn't like that and that's a bunch of change for stuff I already have. I don't really need the remixed AMLOR but I have heard about it for years so I'm curious. But not an autobuy. I would like the full DSOT concert. The unreleased stuff is nice to have but nothing essential. But it big bucks for stuff I already have. Same goes for this TD set. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now

IMHO...the Later Years are most worth it for the stunning reinvention of Delicate Sound of Thunder. It was so like an entirely new recording that it almost threw me at first. Now, I love it.

Hades is of most value for the outtakes from Phaedra and the OT full release (plus, the surround mixes are pretty nice on both Phaedra and OT). The three unreleased live shows aren't going to be revelations if you have any of the old Tangerine Tree stuff (which I suspect you do ) although I do think the quality is a slight improvement there as well.

I never got the early 70/80 box set, so the few solo tracks from that one peppered on Cyclone and FM as bonus tracks (plus the actual Coventry audio) are pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Another tempting box set. I have the regular albums, which is the same reason I haven't picked up Hades yet. Does anyone know how much the full concert differs from Logos as there is just a months time between the two? Hades is in the running for the Christmas list, (you got to start early!) and I have to decide if this makes it also.
    Oh, you want In Search of Hades, sooner rather than later! As Battman says, there is an avalanche of bonus material on there.

If the full Dominion concert is anything like the one at Fairfield Hall, Croydon, it's a doozy!

Logos Part I 7:17
    Heritage Survival 5:33
    Mirage 2:27
    Sign In The Dark 4:37
    The Night In Romania 4:30
    Dreamscape 6:14
    Choronzon 8:29
    Tangent (Excerpt) 4:03
    Mojave Plan (Excerpt) 10:41
    Logos Part II 7:15
    Logos Part III 13:37
    Logos Part IV 4:56
    Logos Part V 4:1
    Logos Part VI 9:57
    Midnight In Tula 4:38
    White Eagle 5:26
    Dominion 6:04

Here's the only-slightly-more-detailed breakdown of the two Dominion discs in the box set:

DISC 6
    1 The Dominion Concert Part One

DISC 7
    1 The Dominion Concert Part Two
    2 Midnight in Tula
    3 White Eagle
    4 Dominion

Last three tracks are the same as Croydon so, hopefully fairly similar!

Here's the only-slightly-more-detailed breakdown of the two Dominion discs in the box set:

Last three tracks are the same as Croydon so, hopefully fairly similar!
    That's why I pulled the Croydon tracklist. I saw that and thought wow, nice info, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That covers the FFS era, except for unreleased scores like Strange Behavior, Forbidden, Vision Quest and Red Heat.
    Any idea why the FFS-era release of Pergamon/Quichotte was not included in this set? I know it was originally an Amiga release, but I had read that Virgin had bought the rights to it and re-released in the mid-80's.

IMHO...the Later Years are most worth it for the stunning reinvention of Delicate Sound of Thunder. It was so like an entirely new recording that it almost threw me at first. Now, I love it.
    I was at the Nassau Coliseum shows which DSOT was mainly recorded from and was always annoyed that they hacked part of Comfortably Numb’s solo and didn’t include Welcome to the Machine. Now they are back. Of note I heard Guy Pratt complaining that some of his solos are now gone. I really wasn’t looking for a re-edit, just include what was missing and clean up any bum notes. I honestly liked that they tried something new with Money (YMMV as to whether it was a success), but I have so many versions of it floating around, that I liked the changes. I will definitely have to get this box set.

Oh, you want In Search of Hades, sooner rather than later! As Battman says, there is an avalanche of bonus material on there.

If the full Dominion concert is anything like the one at Fairfield Hall, Croydon, it's a doozy!

Logos Part I 7:17
    Heritage Survival 5:33
    Mirage 2:27
    Sign In The Dark 4:37
    The Night In Romania 4:30
    Dreamscape 6:14
    Choronzon 8:29
    Tangent (Excerpt) 4:03
    Mojave Plan (Excerpt) 10:41
    Logos Part II 7:15
    Logos Part III 13:37
    Logos Part IV 4:56
    Logos Part V 4:1
    Logos Part VI 9:57
    Midnight In Tula 4:38
    White Eagle 5:26
    Dominion 6:04
    Now it looks like I need both boxes! Thanks for the breakdown

I was at the Nassau Coliseum shows which DSOT was mainly recorded from and was always annoyed that they hacked part of Comfortably Numb’s solo and didn’t include Welcome to the Machine. Now they are back. Of note I heard Guy Pratt complaining that some of his solos are now gone. I really wasn’t looking for a re-edit, just include what was missing and clean up any bum notes. I honestly liked that they tried something new with Money (YMMV as to whether it was a success), but I have so many versions of it floating around, that I liked the changes. I will definitely have to get this box set.
    There's one small annoying thing with the DSOT redo that irks me. The CD includes the short version of Signs of Life (as was featured in the original film) but the film includes the FULL version with his whole solo. No...that isn't his single greatest guitar moment but come ON...so close, just give us that last little bit too

But otherwise...when I first heard the remix it threw me off because it was not at all like I remembered. But over time, getting used to the sound...it's fantastic. It's actually PF live in 87. You can hear Mason's drums. Some tracks like Yet Another Movie are like hearing the song for the first time. And good GOD were they on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Any idea why the FFS-era release of Pergamon/Quichotte was not included in this set? I know it was originally an Amiga release, but I had read that Virgin had bought the rights to it and re-released in the mid-80's.
    Virgin reissued it as Pergamon... in Canada and Europe, but Caroline Records reissued it in the States. Relativity, Sequel and Castle Comm. have all reissued it stateside, too. In 2012, Esoteric released a full remaster.

On that note, did you know the entire Palast der Republik concert was made available by Esoteric Reactive as CD3 & CD4 of the 4-disc The Official Bootleg Series Volume Two? A bit pricey now, but still obtainable.

On that note, did you know the entire Palast der Republik concert was made available by Esoteric Reactive as CD3 & CD4 of the 4-disc The Official Bootleg Series Volume Two? A bit pricey now, but still obtainable.
    This is a tasty set. On Pergamon just when they started to go into the "drifting" section( for lack of the right words), side 1 ended on the original vinyl. So happy to hear it all when this came out.

There's one small annoying thing with the DSOT redo that irks me. The CD includes the short version of Signs of Life (as was featured in the original film) but the film includes the FULL version with his whole solo. No...that isn't his single greatest guitar moment but come ON...so close, just give us that last little bit too

But otherwise...when I first heard the remix it threw me off because it was not at all like I remembered. But over time, getting used to the sound...it's fantastic. It's actually PF live in 87. You can hear Mason's drums. Some tracks like Yet Another Movie are like hearing the song for the first time. And good GOD were they on fire.
    Mr. Gilmour and Mr. Mason didn't ask for my opinion, but I wanted them to release the updated AMLOR with Mason's drums and maybe some additional Wright keys, like the rumor mill has be speculating for years. But just clean up and expand DSOT. Don't drastically rework it. But giving your high praise, I'm sure I'll get over it.

It's always something! Now if we can just get Gilmour and Waters to give the box treatment to Animals...

This is a tasty set. On Pergamon just when they started to go into the "drifting" section( for lack of the right words), side 1 ended on the original vinyl. So happy to hear it all when this came out.
    That concert is one of my favorite things by that lineup. The sounds are dynamite. You can get lost in it...

Box set pre-ordered from Burning Shed Records.
    Really looking forward to this allot!

Scott
    https://radiospiral.net

The only 80s TD I've heard is Optical Race, so maybe I should order this one. The Hades box is quite excellent, so I expect a stellar job with this one as well. I guess I'll have to sample the albums represented.

Opinions will vary, but IMHO for the albums represented on the 80's box I'd suggest these:

Thief (especially the tune Diamond Diary, IMHO one of the finest TD tracks period)
    Logos
    Tangram

Also, the song "Love on a Real Train" from the Risky Business soundtrack is kind of a fan favorite. I'm certainly a big fan of the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The only 80s TD I've heard is Optical Race, so maybe I should order this one.
    EVERYTHING on this box is better than Optical Race. That was the album where I checked out from TD

Quote Originally Posted by ctoelle View Post
    EVERYTHING on this box is better than Optical Race. That was the album where I checked out from TD
    Great tour though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Great tour though.
    True! I saw them in San Diego. And half of Optical Race is pretty cool...