Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream 10-CD Box Set 1980-1983

Tangerine Dream 10-CD Box Set 1980-1983

Pilots Of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 – 1983

Pre-order link: https://tangerinedream.lnk.to/POPTPR

Following the success of the 2019 box set, In Search of Hades, Tangerine Dream’s classic recordings for Virgin made between 1980 and 1983 are to be released in Pilots of Purple Twilight – The Virgin recordings 1980 – 1983: a 10-CD box set, released on October 30 through UMC/EMI.

Pilots Of Purple Twilight showcases the next chapter in this period of Tangerine Dream’s history. The Berlin band are one of the true pioneers of electronic and ambient music, and the albums they recorded for Virgin Records between 1980 and 1983 remain classics of the genre.

The new box set features newly re-mastered versions of the albums Tangram, Thief, Exit, White Eagle, Logos Live and Hyperborea along with the previously unreleased soundtrack for The Keep from the 1983 movie directed by Michael Mann, something of a holy grail for Tangerine Dream fans. All audio has been drawn from the original master tapes and has been enhanced by new stereo mixes by Ben Wiseman.

Pilots Of Purple Twilight also features previously unreleased material across 4 discs, including the full concert at The Dominion Theatre, London, from November 1982. In addition, it includes 4 tracks from White Eagle and Daydream – Moorland that are released for the first time on CD and digitally. Thief includes “Dr. Destructo” (extended version), previously only used for promotional use only.

The Tangerine Dream tracks featured on the Virgin soundtrack LP for the movie Risky Business are also included in the box set, including the band’s biggest streamer, “Love On A Real Train” and from the Virgin archive, the unreleased songs from the soundtrack to the 1982 movie The Soldier, which was scored, composed and performed by the band.

Single CD editions of Tangram, Thief, Exit, White Eagle, Hyperborea and Logos Live are also set for release with the audio taken from the 2020 remasters and feature bonus tracks from the box set. A D2C edition of the box set will also be available which includes a reproduction of a rare poster.

CD 1: Tangram (1980)
    “Tangram Set 1”
    “Tangram Set 2”

CD 2: Thief (1981)
    “Beach Theme”
    “Dr. Drestructo”
    “Diamond Diary”
    “Burning Bar”
    “Beach Scene”
    “Scrap Yard”
    “Trap Feeling”
    “Igneous”
    “Dr. Destructo (extended version)”

CD 3: Exit (1981)
    “Kiew Mission”
    “Pilots of Purple Twilight”
    “Choronzon”
    “Exit”
    “Network 23”
    “Remote Viewing”

CD 4: White Eagle (1982)
    “Mojave Plan”
    “Midnight in Tula”
    “Convention of the 24”
    “White Eagle”
    “Das Mädchen auf der Treppe”
    “Flock”
    “Katja”
    “Speed”
    “Daydream”
    “Moorland”

CD 5: The Soldier (1982)
    “Main titles”
    “Cue #1 – variation on Logos #1”
    “Cue #2 – variation on Horizon #1”
    “Cue #3 – The Soldier #1”
    “Cue #4 – variation on Dolphin Dance”
    “Cue #5 – variation on Tangent #1”
    “Cue #6 – The Soldier #2”
    “Cue #7 – The Soldier #3”
    “Cue #8 – The Soldier #4”
    “Cue #9 – The Soldier #5”
    “Cue #10 – variation on Horizon #2”
    “Cue #11 – The Soldier #6”
    “Cue #12 – The Soldier #7”
    “Cue #13 – variation on Logos #2”
    “Cue #14 – The Soldier #8”
    “Cue #15 – variation on Horizon #3”
    “End Titles”

CD 6: The Dominion Theatre Concert, November 6, 1982 (previously unreleased) (Part One)

CD 7: The Dominion Theatre Concert, November 6, 1982 (Previously unreleased) (Part Two)

CD 8: Logos Live (December 1982)
    “Logos” (Part 1)
    “Logos” (Part 2)
    “Dominion”

CD 9: Hyperborea (November 1983)
    “No Man’s Land”
    “Hyperborea”
    “Cinnamon Road”
    “Sphinx Lightning”
    “The Dream is Always the Same”
    “No Future (Get off the Babysitter)”
    “Guido the Killer Pimp”
    “Lana”
    “Love on a Real Train (Risky Business)”

CD 10: The Keep (Soundtrack to the 1983 film directed by Michael Mann) – Previously unreleased
    “Puer Natus Est Nobis (Gloria)”
    “Arx Allemand”
    “Truth and Fiction”
    “The Silver Seal”
    “Ancient Powerplant”
    “Supernatural Accomplice”
    “The Challenger’s Arrival”
    “Heritage Survival”
    “Parallel Words”
    “Canzone Voices from a Common Land”
    “Wardays Sunrise”
    “The Night in Romania”

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yikes. Autobuy timed to coincide with the next autobuy Box Of Crim. I wonder if the Keep soundtrack is really the Keep soundtrack, or just a repackaging of the bogus limited release Keep pseudo-soundtrack from a while back.

Since the box is being culled from Virgin's archives by EMI, and not (likely) being built from the Eastgate archives, I'd expect this will be the real deal.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

There are all of TWO people I know of who say The Keep soundtrack was actually released (and then recalled), and one of them is F. Paul Wilson, who wrote the novel!

I don't care where it comes from, just gimme!

The Soldier?? Well, shoot...how long have we waited for that!!

I must say: I LOVE the box's cover art! That is dope.

P.S. I wonder if Edgar's solo output will ever get the same treatment. There's a lot of stuff there, including "Sobornost," which we hear a portion of in Risky Business.

Ed is using the:

Oberheim OB-Xa
    PPG Wave 2
    PPG 340 B
    PPG 380 EG
    Custom Seq & Terminals

I'm frank(e)ly amazed and thrilled that this exists at all. Apparently they moved enough of the 70's box set to justify taking a stab at this one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm frank(e)ly amazed and thrilled that this exists at all.
    Right there with you. I did NOT think we were getting an 80s box!

Apparently they moved enough of the 70's box set to justify taking a stab at this one.
    I bet they moved quite a few. What TD fan wouldn't want these?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    What TD fan wouldn't want these?
    Have you FORGOTTEN what site you're on?!?!?

Waiting to see who pops in first with "meh, as soon as Baumann left they went downhill" or "I only dug them in the Ohr years, this is just a cash grab."

This is my favorite era of TD.
    You son of a bitch, I'm in! (on a Rick & Morty bing!)
    The first box is beautiful, expect this will be as well. Quality stuff.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

This wraps up the Virgin period.

I have all the Booster sets, so I can't imagine springing for a box from the so-called Melrose, Seattle, TDI and Eastgate periods, and I'd really have to think about one for the Blue period.

Actually...the only minor complaint I would have that it only covers what Virgin could access so we aren't also getting the latter half of the Schmoelling era. Complete Poland concert, SO many soundtracks that could be expanded. But that's a minor complaint...I'm so happy to see this happening.

Waiting to see who pops in first with "meh, as soon as Baumann left they went downhill" or "I only dug them in the Ohr years, this is just a cash grab."
    Any TD without Klaus Schulze are impostors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This wraps up the Virgin period.

I have all the Booster sets, so I can't imagine springing for a box from the so-called Melrose, Seattle, TDI and Eastgate periods, and I'd really have to think about one for the Blue period.
    I very much expect this is mostly about EMI emptying the Virgin vaults rather than any sort of comprehensive overview of TD during these decades. The moment they find themselves back at the negotiating table for licensing fees, they're going to be out.

Have you FORGOTTEN what site you're on?!?!?
    Dude, I'm not referring to this place!

What, are there even thirty of us here? Two dozen?

But for every one of them, there are two or three who prefer the FFS line-up to their predecessors.
    Last edited by dropforge; 09-11-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Hey, I'll be happy for anyone else who pops in to throw some love on this box and lineup.

It was a total shock to see the news this morning and I'm just so thrilled to see it happening. Especially after seeing the level of quality in the 70's box, this should be real treat for us fans

Actually...the only minor complaint I would have that it only covers what Virgin could access so we aren't also getting the latter half of the Schmoelling era. Complete Poland concert, SO many soundtracks that could be expanded. But that's a minor complaint...I'm so happy to see this happening.
    The reason Thief is in this set is because Virgin released it in the UK. Virgin released Heartbreakers, too, which Silva Screen reissued in 1995 with a subpar cover.

Varèse Sarabande released Wavelength, and it got a remaster in 2014 (with the original poster art, not the "alien kid").

Varèse Sarabande and MCA both issued Firestarter (no sign of the long-rumored remaster yet).

EMI released Flashpoint and One Way Records reissued it in 1995.

MCA issued Legend, and Varèse Sarabande reissued it in 1995.

Silva Screen released The Park is Mine in 1995.

That covers the FFS era, except for unreleased scores like Strange Behavior, Forbidden, Vision Quest and Red Heat.

Hey, I'll be happy for anyone else who pops in to throw some love on this box and lineup.

It was a total shock to see the news this morning and I'm just so thrilled to see it happening. Especially after seeing the level of quality in the 70's box, this should be real treat for us fans
    Word! I'm like

Auto buy for me. Love this TD period & the releases being available on this box set. Really looking forward to the unreleased soundtrack material (especially The Keep).

Scott
    https://radiospiral.net

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This is certainly tempting. I really only want that live set (I have the previously released studio albums, although obviously not any bonus tracks)...price point may dictate, but I will probably at some point fall over the line and purchase.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'll probably cherry pick a few remasters. The lack of 5.1 surround/hi rez mixes is a bit of a deal breaker for me on a big expensive box set. Sorry to be the first Debbie Downer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Not much going on in that piece.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    We are definitely in the 80s here.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not much going on in that piece.
    Some stuff works better in the context of the film. That's definitely a minimalist opening title.