Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Wildfires

2020 Wildfires

As if 2020 didn't suck ENOUGH so far this year......the Northwest is burning up! Here in Washington State 330,000 Acres burned in a 24 hour period Monday.

The rainy NW is igniting folks.

The smoke is so bad its seeping into my home and setting off the smoke alarm....like at 2:30AM this morning! (nearest fire - Sumner, WA about 20 miles east)

Fires in Eugene, OR.....and I-5 is closed south of Medford, OR as the town of Talent (near Ashland, OR) is burning.

yeah....it's HOT (for us) 90's this week and you can Feel the low humidity.

Born & raised here folks and it's Never been like this in the 60 years I've lived here.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The pictures from san fran might be the most surreal thing about this whole year.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Every year, so much acreage burns in Cali, that I marvel that the whole state isn't one big ash pile at this point.

...and here in September we have already passed the record for most acreage burned in one year: well over 2,000,000 acres.

Yesterday was like end-times scary:orange sky, orange light, could not see from one end of the block to the other.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The Arctic hit an all time record high in Northern Siberia, and has been burning out of control pretty much all summer. Here in the Phoenix area, we've had our hottest summer on record. We blew through the record number of days over 110, over 115, and morning lows in the 90s. Just this week, we had the latest ever 115 day. In summers past, we've had a "non-soon" in which the monsoon didn't produce much rain. This year, we've had a total failure of the monsoon...we didn't have the usual gulf moisture flow to moderate our temperatures. This spring, we didn't have any days with highs in the 90s. We went from the 80s straight into the 100s.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Have one nearby caused by a stupid gender reveal. Got a evacuation warning on Tuesday evening, but didn't have to evacuate.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Have one nearby caused by a stupid gender reveal. Got a evacuation warning on Tuesday evening, but didn't have to evacuate.
    Pretty soon we will need “exit permits” for urban folk to enter the wilderness. Bringing flash pods into a wooded area....sheesh
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2
    Been through Mentone Beach many times and still have people in the area. Good luck. The Creek Fire also has burned down forest country fond in my memory. Helluva year.

Haven't seen the sun all day, and there isn't a cloud in the sky. It's all smoke. Not that I'm complaining while we have a roof over our heads. Been watching nothing but fire coverage for days.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    Just post a sign, penis up or penis down.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Scary as hell! Some of the numbers mentioned above are unbelievable. I hope all PE’ers in these areas remain safe their homes intact. Must be awful to deal with the uncertainty for so long.

Winter is coming...

^^^but not soon enough.

Here in CA, we've already set the record for "most acreage burnt in one year" (over two and a half million acres) ... and it's only early/mid September; late October and early November are usually the bad months...

Any other year here in AZ, there would be no fires this time of year, due to the monsoon moistening things up. With this year's monsoon failure, we have fires out the yin-yang.

BTW: our monsoon failure is directly related to the heat wave in the Pacific Northwest. The dome of high pressure which typically pulls in moisture from the Gulf of Mexico massively expanded. The moisture flow this year has been way to the south of us. The larger pressure dome extended well into the Northwest.

Today was “lighter” than the past 10 days. Still can’t see farther than a half block but I can now read without extra reading lights.

stepped out into the yard a bit yesterday. No longer smells of smoke but I feel like I’m at an elevation around 10,000 feet! Getting winded just walking to the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Today was “lighter” than the past 10 days. Still can’t see farther than a half block but I can now read without extra reading lights.

stepped out into the yard a bit yesterday. No longer smells of smoke but I feel like I’m at an elevation around 10,000 feet! Getting winded just walking to the shed.
    I know the feeling. Been turning on lights in the house in the middle of the day when usually I would rely on sunlight coming through the windows. Saw the red sun rise this morning. It no longer smells of smoke because we have lost our ability to smell smoke. Too much of it for too long. Haven't done yardwork in weeks because too much visible smoke. Still, as one whose house was 3-4 blocks from the edge of a wildfire in an earlier year, I can't complain too much. There are a lot of places I wanted to show my kid, that will now be blackened should we ever be able to afford to go.

The smoke reached the East Coast last night! Too high up to affect air quality, but it was noticeably hazy today, and the sunlight had a slightly orange cast.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The smoke reached the East Coast last night! Too high up to affect air quality, but it was noticeably hazy today, and the sunlight had a slightly orange cast.
    I could smell smoke. I don't know if someone was burning anything nearby or not.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Saw the red sun rise this morning.
    I have only seen the outline of the sun for a few minutes once this past Week. Its That Bad.

Brother texted me yesterday afternoon from Tigard, OR (suburb south of Portland, OR) AQI (air quality index) = 305!

My AQI in Lakewood, WA (145 miles north) = 171....right now its 182

Its the time of year when we start getting Marine air (fog ) in the morning. Mix that with fire smoke and its like a London murder mystery out there.

The sky was actually blue for a few minutes yesterday.

We had a few days when the high level smoke produced enough of an overcast condition to moderate our extreme heat.

I have only seen the outline of the sun for a few minutes once this past Week. Its That Bad.

Brother texted me yesterday afternoon from Tigard, OR (suburb south of Portland, OR) AQI (air quality index) = 305!

My AQI in Lakewood, WA (145 miles north) = 171....right now its 182

Its the time of year when we start getting Marine air (fog ) in the morning. Mix that with fire smoke and its like a London murder mystery out there.
    What is a normal, good AQI value?

What is a normal, good AQI value?
    AQI=3 is currently on the coast of CA right now.

If you go to the Map App on your phone....in the lower right corner it displays the current Temperature and AQI (Air Quality Index) for the map you have brought up....default is your current location....search some west coast cities to see how bad their AQI is.

First "clear" day since Labor Day. Wind has finally blown the smoke out of the area and we got quite a bit of rain overnight. I can Finally go outside now!

The only thing we need now to cap off this shitty year? Maybe an Earthquake.....or reelection.....

El Monte, California got the earthquake last night, a 4.5 magnitude. The Bobcat fire continues to burn a few miles to the north of the site of Legion Stadium.

First "clear" day since Labor Day. Wind has finally blown the smoke out of the area and we got quite a bit of rain overnight. I can Finally go outside now!

The only thing we need now to cap off this shitty year? Maybe an Earthquake.....or reelection.....
    And for you, this just so happens to be post number 666. Coincidence???