Thread: The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth

The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth

I first heard TPT in 2003 when their 3rd album Variations On A Dream was released and I've been a fan ever since. In those days the band's music was more on the psychedelic/space side of prog. I've followed leader Bruce Soord and the band over the years, and have enjoyed their music immensely. There have been many personnel changes, but the core members, Bruce Soord-vocals, guitars and keyboards, John Sykes-bass & backing vocals, and keyboardist Steve Kitch solidified with the 2005 release 10 Stories Down. I've watched the band grow and move into many different musical realms, from psyche/space, and into darker melancholy realms with long extended songs, which often featured lots of mellotron and borderline psychotic lyrics from Soord. Their musical direction kept evolving into different realms and started to change into a more alternate and more acoustic/electric guitar direction with 2010's Someone Here Is Missing. Soord's often frightening lyrics also began to mellow, although melancholy despair was and still is present. I often wondered why Soord, this great singer/songwriter and his band were so obscure? Longtime drummer Keith Harrison departed in 2013. Dan Osborne had a three year run on drums from 2013-2016, and again the band was left with no percussionist. The band then employed Porcupine Tree/King Crimson drummer Gavin Harrison as a session guest for the 2016 release Your Wilderness. IMO I believe Gavin's fame brought more notice to the band. In 2017 Gavin toured with the band and played on that year's live album Where We Stood, which gained the band more new fans. GH became a full-time band member in 2017. And finally after over 20 years this great band has been warmly received by more and more alternate/prog lovers. For years I wished I could have seen the band perform live, and that dream came true in 2019 during their first American Tour. Now we come to their new 13th studio album release, Versions of the Truth. I won't review it as a whole, I just want to bring it the PE members because the band is not spoken of much on this forum. No more extended songs, 7 minutes is the longest, however IMO each song is a winner. Still very proggish and alternate, a fine balance again IMO. Beautiful songs very well recorded and produced. At first listen it didn't grab me. But I was floored upon 2nd listening. Bruce Soord's talent has not diminished, he's just honed down the band a bit more to appeal to more music ears. Give it a try, as I think it's one of this years best in alternate/prog.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Definitely on my list.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I first heard TPT in 2003 when their 3rd album Variations On A Dream was released and I've been a fan ever since. In those days the band's music was more on the psychedelic/space side of prog. I've followed leader Bruce Soord and the band over the years, and have enjoyed their music immensely. There have been many personnel changes, but the core members, Bruce Soord-vocals, guitars and keyboards, John Sykes-bass & backing vocals, and keyboardist Steve Kitch solidified with the 2005 release 10 Stories Down. I've watched the band grow and move into many different musical realms, from psyche/space, and into darker melancholy realms with long extended songs, which often featured lots of mellotron and borderline psychotic lyrics from Soord. Their musical direction kept evolving into different realms and started to change into a more alternate and more acoustic/electric guitar direction with 2010's Someone Here Is Missing. Soord's often frightening lyrics also began to mellow, although melancholy despair was and still is present. I often wondered why Soord, this great singer/songwriter and his band were so obscure? Longtime drummer Keith Harrison departed in 2013. Dan Osborne had a three year run on drums from 2013-2016, and again the band was left with no percussionist. The band then employed Porcupine Tree/King Crimson drummer Gavin Harrison as a session guest for the 2016 release Your Wilderness. IMO I believe Gavin's fame brought more notice to the band. In 2017 Gavin toured with the band and played on that year's live album Where We Stood, which gained the band more new fans. GH became a full-time band member in 2017. And finally after over 20 years this great band has been warmly received by more and more alternate/prog lovers. For years I wished I could have seen the band perform live, and that dream came true in 2019 during their first American Tour. Now we come to their new 13th studio album release, Versions of the Truth. I won't review it as a whole, I just want to bring it the PE members because the band is not spoken of much on this forum. No more extended songs, 7 minutes is the longest, however IMO each song is a winner. Still very proggish and alternate, a fine balance again IMO. Beautiful songs very well recorded and produced. At first listen it didn't grab me. But I was floored upon 2nd listening. Bruce Soord's talent has not diminished, he's just honed down the band a bit more to appeal to more music ears. Give it a try, as I think it's one of this years best in alternate/prog.
    Dude this is a 4 week typing job for me, props to you.

My copy arrived a few days back and I've been giving it a fair bit of time.

Not perhaps as immediate as previous albums, but I have a feeling this will be a grower.

Here's my take on it, for interest:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....he-truth-2020/

The last one did nothing for me so I am very cautious about this.
    The Prog Corner

The last one is the first that I enjoyed as a whole, the others were always very hit and miss for me. Judging by the first single and the review, it looks like this one is not for me. If it initially sounds bland even to a fan, it's unlikely that I'll come to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The last one is the first that I enjoyed as a whole, the others were always very hit and miss for me. Judging by the first single and the review, it looks like this one is not for me. If it initially sounds bland even to a fan, it's unlikely that I'll come to enjoy it.
    Give it a chance with a few spins, as each time I listen I realize it's a great work. The review by Valen above^^^^ is fair and insightful, and echoes many of my same sediments.

Listen on Bandcamp: https://kscopemusic.bandcamp.com/alb...s-of-the-truth
    Last edited by AncientChord; 09-08-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nice OP, and nice review from Valen. I preordered this from Lasers Edge and my copy is about to ship. It’s the first PT album I’ve bought since they were on Cyclops. I’ve been listening to the singles as they come out, and while I’m not overenthused, I can see them growing on me, especially within the context of the full album. Valen, your description of what Gavin Harrison adds is encouraging, so I’ll keep that and all observations you guys make in mind while listening.

During lockdown because of the raging Covid-19 virus, my listening has branched out to include several bands I either wasn’t aware of or had never investigated, so I decided to take a chance. I also remember Geezer always saying how much he like Pineapple Thief. I saw the band open at a Marillion weekend in 2005, and also saw them at NEARfest, and I have to say they didn’t make much of an impression either time, but sometimes I go the extra mile!

Why did Keith Harrison leave the band anyway? My wife, who is a fanatic about this band, and I have always preferred his drumming style which seemed to be a better fit for PT. But we've never heard or read anywhere why he left the band. Not even from Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak33 View Post
    Why did Keith Harrison leave the band anyway? My wife, who is a fanatic about this band, and I have always preferred his drumming style which seemed to be a better fit for PT. But we've never heard or read anywhere why he left the band. Not even from Bruce.
    Prog dork fun trivia:

Keith Harrison is Kerry Minnear's nephew.

OK, bye.