Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PFM's Jet Lag - Undervalued Or Jump The Shark LP?

I like the jazzy feel and generally like the music. I am not a big fan Bernardo Lanzetti's vocals. I have always preferred the other vocalists in PFM.

"Traveller" on Jet Lag is a highlight of PFM's catalogue for me-- Majestic, beautiful tune. Sounds like vintage Family, which I'd say is a high compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Their last great / nearly great (depending on your P.O.V) album... (imo)
    Agreed
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

While very different from the first two albums (which to my mind is what I think of when I think classic PFM), it is a very good album. Not even close to jumping the shark. To me that honour belongs to "Suonare Suonare"

v

Jet Lag has aged very well. The band seems to have added more space into their sound, it's less busy. There's some real depth here that increases with further listenings. It may be sacrilege to say so but Jet Lag and their first are my favourites.

I really like this album, definitely like it more than the "english" album that preceded it.
    And I also love Family and Comus so had no problems with the vocals whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Their last great / nearly great (depending on your P.O.V) album... (imo)
    I agree with this. I can see why it might not be as interesting to many listeners, particularly those who love the first three PFM albums. It's different, and I think it's a bit inconsistent, and there's some "jamming," where the other albums are largely very composed.

That said, I adore Jet Lag, and I hate to admit it but I actually prefer this and Chocolate Kings to the first three albums (which I also love, I just love these two more). So definitely put me in the underappreciated/undervalued camp on Jet Lag. And as for jumping the shark, that happened on Passpartu, IMO.

Bill

I posted my opinion before and somehow managed to delete it myself while editing it on the phone. I think this is a very good album and definitely the one I come back more often in the PFM catalogue. I listened to their first albums to death when I was younger, and somehow I do not feel the urge to listen to them as much as before (though Per un Amico is still their best album for me).

The band has a sense of drive and urgency in Jet Leg that makes it a very compelling listening. Also, there is the great guitar solo track Peninsula, which is a personal favorite. The musicianship is top notch as usual, but I would say overal it is an inch above usual. Cerco la Lingua and Traveller are among my favorite songs in the whole PFM canon.

Passpartù is also a very good effort in my opinion. They managed to blend folk overtones with the jazzy and symphonic feel that is dispersed through their previous albums. Although the result is by no means groundbreaking, it still makes it a very rewarding listen for me.

I completely lost interest in later albums though.

As much as I loved early PFM, Jet Lag didn't ruin it for me... once I started listening with different ears. Even like Chocolate Kings (different ears there, too). No problem returning to either one of them when I'm jonesin' for some PFM.
    "Back when I was in a band we used to sound like this." - Mel from Meglaphone
    Ribo World https://riboworld.orgfree.com/

Thanks to this thread found out that Jet Lag is better than expected. Not sure it will print in the head like per un amico, but there are some nice flashes of early Genesis Gabriel, Robert Wyatt (Rock Bottom) and the electric goat from Family Anyway. Not a million miles away from Banco, Gilgamesh or Perigeo either at times. Part of Left Handed Theory gets awful close to FZ's Fifty Fifty, but I'd have to vote that PFM is still on the shark w/ this album.

I know they brought Lanzetti in to secure American interest in the band but he's just not that good singing in English.There was nothing wrong with PFM's vocals on the first three LP's.

That said, Choco Kings and Jet Lag are both really good.
    Prog's Not Dead

Lanzetti's vocals always remind me of Jello Biafra's, which I know is a strange comparison, but that's what comes to mind for some reason when I listen. I'm likely alone in that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I know they brought Lanzetti in to secure American interest in the band but he's just not that good singing in English.There was nothing wrong with PFM's vocals on the first three LP's.
    I think they wanted someone more assertive up front. I don’t have a problem with Lanzetti’s vocals, but then, I am a fan of Roger Chapman. I will submit that his Italian vocals on Passpartù go down a little easier. He also hamonizes beautifully, as evidenced by his work on the two Acqua Fragile albums, especially the more explicitly CSNY-influenced self-titled first.

After Lanzetti left, drummer Franz di Cioccio stepped up to the mike. Perhaps surprisingly, he was a perfectly serviceable lead singer.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Actually, I quite liked Franz di Cioccio's singing on the material that followed. "Chi ha paura della notte?" is one of my favorite PFM songs.

My first PFM, on vinyl, used, in the late 80’s. Loved it then, and now. Didn’t even hear the earlier albums until I bought them in the early years of this century, though I had heard/read about them long before. Jet Lag was bought when fusion was my thing, and it fit right in. My re-acquaintance with Prog in the 2000’s caught me up with Per and Storia....I love them all, but they are quite different!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I like the album but not like the first 3, or even 4. I like the title track particularly but am not fond of ‘left handed theory’.

Listening to it right now. It is different from the other 3 albums I own:
    Per un amico
    L'isola di niente
    Live in U.S.A.

"Circo la Lingua" was one of their best tracks altogether. "Traveler" and the title track are both excellent, and "Peninsula" a killer starter for such an album. "Meridiani" has something going for it, I suppose - but I really don't find much to like in the rest of the material. And if it'd been an all-Italian vocal affair I'd might enjoy something like "Breakin In" [sic], yet alas.

Still I spin it fairly often, though usually along with Chocolate Kings (from which I'm really not much into "Paper Charms" or the title track) and not the first three. I kinda dig the cool groove in "Jet Lag", the song. It's sorta hip on the tip to flip.

Electric goatvox is always good, tho'. Unless it's got potato stuffed in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't have problems with the vocals, but I like Family, Pavlovs Dog and Rush, so what do I know.

Traveler ends with a amazing moog solo !
    And I love the riff in Left handed theory

This was the last PFM LP I liked back then. I bought Passpartu and got rid of it quickly. I think Lanzetti's voice fits in better on this album than on Chocolate Kings because the music on this album isn't very similar to the early albums. I already had the two Acqua Fragile albums when he joined PFM, so I was used to his voice, but on Chocolate Kings I would've preferred the original singers or maybe a mixture.

One thing about these classic bands... I really dig the lesser known albums these days. I've heard the "classics" so many times. Always had a sweet tooth for Jet Lag and Passpartu. Fusion on the first, european rock (???) on the second. But each is well-recorded, full of their fantastic musicianship, and I haven't played them to death!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^ Same goes for Banco's Canto di Primavera and Orme's (yup, w.o. the 'Le') Florian - both very fine and listenable records, if different from their earlier output.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    One thing about these classic bands... I really dig the lesser known albums these days. I've heard the "classics" so many times. Always had a sweet tooth for Jet Lag and Passpartu. Fusion on the first, european rock (???) on the second. But each is well-recorded, full of their fantastic musicianship, and I haven't played them to death!
    Yep. I find myself doing the same thing, and for the same reason. With PFM I've been recently enjoying Passpartu and Suonare (no sharks being jumped on either of those IMO), with Genesis it's been ATTW3; Renaissance Azure d'Or. Once an album gets to the point where I pretty much know every single note and when it is coming, the joy is gone. Doesn't matter how good the music remains in principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Same goes for Banco's Canto di Primavera and Orme's (yup, w.o. the 'Le') Florian - both very fine and listenable records, if different from their earlier output.
    Love Canto di Primavera! I think that was my first Banco album, I believe I found it used for almost nothing and took a chance. I still really enjoy it, though it is, as you say, a bit different from their earlier stuff. But still quite worthy to me. But this is the last of there's I enjoy.

I know I tried Florian at some point. It didn't grab me. Maybe time for a revisit.

Bill