Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Featured Album: Thinking Plague - In Extremis

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    Good to hear.
    The new HBO series “Lovecraft Country” was the first to record an orchestral soundtrack, but done with each individual player recording by themselves, w/ no orchestra actually getting together. It turned out pretty well. Plus, doing it that way, one has more power to adjust the orchestration in places where it may not quite have worked with a full orchestra playing together. But if you entertain the possibility of ever performing it live, with orchestra, you’ll want the orchestrations to be solid, in that regard.
    I’ve used Finale since the early ‘90s, but started using Sibelius, as well because of certain job requirements. I still prefer Finale.
    Cool note there regarding Lovecraft Country!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    I am working on it (and other things). And of course, it's slow going - I get hyper-perfectionistic in the writing phase. In this case, as I think I told you, Bob, I'm looking to incorporate a real "orchestra" (or at least one or two players of strings, winds, brass, etc., that can be overdubbed however many times - all of which will depend on money and availability of capable willing players). Having had limited experience writing for orchestra, I've had to up my game, as it were, in the Finale software (and look into other new softwares), and to learn a lot more about scoring and orchestration. Meanwhile, I finally broke down and acquired Kontakt with a large library of sounds, which I will incorporate for samples, synths and weirdness. I plan to play all guitars, bass, and keys (playing or programming).
    So, will it be "Thinking Plague?" Hmmmm...
    Geeez. Now I'M intrigued too
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

The new HBO series “Lovecraft Country” was the first to record an orchestral soundtrack, but done with each individual player recording by themselves, w/ no orchestra actually getting together.
    Gavin Harrison's (and Laurence Cottle's) album Cheating the Polygraph mostly used one trumpeter, one trombonist, and one multiple-sax player, all overdubbed into a full-on jazz big band.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Gavin Harrison's (and Laurence Cottle's) album Cheating the Polygraph mostly used one trumpeter, one trombonist, and one multiple-sax player, all overdubbed into a full-on jazz big band.
    And it sounds great!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

This was my first exposure to Thinking Plague. I found it hard to comprehend musically: It sounded a bit like Yes - however, a Yes where the guitar and vocals were in the same key, but somebody had accidentally hit the "transpose" button on the keyboard, the bassist was reading from a baritone sax part, and the sax player was reading from a flute part. But there was something there, something halfway audible yet just out of my grasp. I needed to pursue it to find out what that was, and pursue it I did - to reviewing A History of Madness, to (rather contentiously) interviewing Mike online, to having dinner with him during a visit to Colorado, to seeing various versions of the band a number of times, and to finally becoming long-distance friends with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    And, crazily-enough, Gavin's drums were overdubbed at the very end - I guess he's really good at playing to a click.

Good to hear.
    The new HBO series “Lovecraft Country” was the first to record an orchestral soundtrack, but done with each individual player recording by themselves, w/ no orchestra actually getting together. It turned out pretty well. Plus, doing it that way, one has more power to adjust the orchestration in places where it may not quite have worked with a full orchestra playing together. But if you entertain the possibility of ever performing it live, with orchestra, you’ll want the orchestrations to be solid, in that regard.
    I’ve used Finale since the early ‘90s, but started using Sibelius, as well because of certain job requirements. I still prefer Finale.
    I'll have to check out Lovecraft Country. With a name like that.... Thx.