Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual ProgDay 2020

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^ I'm just jealous! I've got 6.5 years until I'm 65 - then my pension from the federal government will take care of things.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll probably work another 5 years.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^ I'm just jealous! I've got 6.5 years until I'm 65 - then my pension from the federal government will take care of things.
    True, but don't you all in Canada have socialized health care?? that is a big help.
    Not trying this post sound too political. but I recently retired at 60, only because of complications after brain surgery, so I have SS now, and our medicare, my wife has 3-5 years left to work at her career, only because of health care.

To clear things up a bit, I only "retired" now at 64 to begin collecting SS. Had I waited until 66 and 4 months (my max age for max benefits) I would not have received much more than I am receiving at 64. So I took the benefits now as I can really use them. And to be sure, I am still working to supplement my SS benefits as they do not cover all my bills. But collecting them now does classify me as "retired". Luckily I have health insurance but Medicare will also kick in at 65.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hey Greg. If you can, just retire at 60, sell that Ottawa house (assuming that you own one), move to a rural location and buy a much cheaper house, live off the money from the sold house, and (hopefully) whatever RSP funds you have, for a couple of years, and then still wait until 65 to collect your CPP and Old Age Security money, which will be much higher a monthly rate than 60, of course. Simple, right, lol? Well, that's what I'm strongly considering at least. Either way, as long as I'm able to, I hope to continue to make it to Progday, whether I am retired or not.

And yes, we up here in Canadia, can sometimes have it a bit easier with health care coverage, despite the weak dollar.

neil

In case anyone's still looking for another opinion, I just put up my annual ProgDay "scrapbook" page, a week late as ususal:

http://eichler.byethost11.com/progda...ogDay2020.html
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    True, but don't you all in Canada have socialized health care?? that is a big help.
    Not trying this post sound too political. but I recently retired at 60, only because of complications after brain surgery, so I have SS now, and our medicare, my wife has 3-5 years left to work at her career, only because of health care.
    >
    Yes, universal health care helps. I hope the surgery went well.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Hey Greg. If you can, just retire at 60, sell that Ottawa house (assuming that you own one), move to a rural location and buy a much cheaper house, live off the money from the sold house, and (hopefully) whatever RSP funds you have, for a couple of years, and then still wait until 65 to collect your CPP and Old Age Security money, which will be much higher a monthly rate than 60, of course. Simple, right, lol? Well, that's what I'm strongly considering at least. Either way, as long as I'm able to, I hope to continue to make it to Progday, whether I am retired or not.

And yes, we up here in Canadia, can sometimes have it a bit easier with health care coverage, despite the weak dollar.

neil
    Sage advise Neil but I just moved into a new house this week (3,000 square feet) near downtown. I'm viewing things as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    In case anyone's still looking for another opinion, I just put up my annual ProgDay "scrapbook" page, a week late as ususal:

Great review as usual Bob and good to see Bell's Octoberfest made it into your drinking lineup!

I'm probably never going to be able to stop working. I've frelled up so badly that "retirement" probably won't be feasible for me until I'm like 80 or something.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post

Very nice review, thanks

I bought the recent albums by Les Evades, Stop Motion Orchestra & Vespero. I will be buying the Ghost Rhythm. I already have all the VAK & Hooffoot.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Great review as usual Bob and good to see Bell's Octoberfest made it into your drinking lineup!
    Yeah, my neighbor told me about a distributor around here that's similar to Total Wine down in Chapel Hill, except they stock mostly beers. But they carry as many different types as they can find from all around the US and the world. So a couple days before ProgDay I spent about an hour going through their stock finding every Octoberfest beer they had. I ended up buying something like 30 different Octoberfest beers.
    --

Hi Bob.

You were asking about Vespero's set list. Here you go:

- Tharmas (from The Four Zoas)
    - Untitled (premiere)
    - Kidish Hail (from Fitful Slumber until 5 A.M.)
    - Luvah (from The Four Zoas)
    - Lebedivo (premiere)
    - A Sense of Clarity (from SADA)
    - LOS (from The Four Zoas)
    - Frozen Lilies (Melt in Heaven) (from DROGA)

Great setlist! But now to get the set itself...music and/or video. Any news on that?? These guys are a real fav of mine.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    Hi Bob.

You were asking about Vespero's set list. Here you go:

- Tharmas (from The Four Zoas)
    - Untitled (premiere)
    - Kidish Hail (from Fitful Slumber until 5 A.M.)
    - Luvah (from The Four Zoas)
    - Lebedivo (premiere)
    - A Sense of Clarity (from SADA)
    - LOS (from The Four Zoas)
    - Frozen Lilies (Melt in Heaven) (from DROGA)
    Thanks, I'll update my web page.
    --