Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: THE FLOWER KINGS: Islands - October 30

I've listened to the new album a half dozen times now, but today was the first time I've actually heard the album all the way through in a single sitting. If this were the first time I'd heard The Flower Kings, I'd be damned impressed. For a band that's been around so long, this one feels really fresh and energized. I'm loving the Zappaesque flourishes.
    Last edited by Superfly; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:11 AM.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Just been listening again on You Tube, have yet to find a bad track. Having not bought a new TFK album since Banks Of Eden I am pleasantly surprised, I might even order it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yes - I enjoyed that. The Roinster is a good guy - I met him briefly in NYC at a gig we did with them after NF 2003. The end bit about Tomas seemed slightly uncomfortable and they may have an Ian/Martin or Roger/David thing happening - Swedish style.
    Agreed, that was a nice interview. I think the Roinester is a good guy also. I only briefly met him at the 3RP show in 2008, but it was cool getting to meet him in person after hearing his music for several years. Probably a different dynamic though, seeing as you were a fellow performer at NearFest.

It did seem a bit uncomfortable when he talked about Tomas; I got the impression that maybe they have some differences in terms of commitment to TFK. Those things can get tricky, especially with long-standing relationships. It doesn't sound like there's any ill will, so I hope that they can patch things up in the future as friends if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It did seem a bit uncomfortable when he talked about Tomas; I got the impression that maybe they have some differences in terms of commitment to TFK. Those things can get tricky, especially with long-standing relationships. It doesn't sound like there's any ill will, so I hope that they can patch things up in the future as friends if nothing else.
    Very interesting take. Like he said about "relationships", the parting of ways reminds me of my last project working with a guy I have known for the better part of almost 40 years. We had worked on our various musical projects off & on since we were in a band back in "81. This time, however, I just completely burned out on what we were doing. I also found myself becoming increasingly critical of how he was crafting his parts. In other words there were sections I had written on keyboards where he would come in & throw crunchy, loud guitars over it & to my ears this was completely wrong & killed the original vibe. Also, he was known for being very cheap when it came to gear & his overall sound never evolved or varied much. Don't get me wrong, this guy was an excellent musician, much more talented, skill-wise, than me, but it just wasn't working anymore. I was hearing things one way & he was hearing them another. The cohesiveness just wasn't there anymore. I'm thinking this was the type of message Roine was trying to convey about his relationship with Tomas or something similar IMO.

Have given this a few more listens since my initial reaction and there are certainly parts of it that elicit a more emotional reaction than they did at first. My opinion that the songs seem more like fragments than complete pieces still hold. Some, like "Morning News", especially seem like segments of a larger whole that just isn't there. If it is, it isn't connected to these pieces in a way that seems to flow.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Have given this a few more listens since my initial reaction and there are certainly parts of it that elicit a more emotional reaction than they did at first. My opinion that the songs seem more like fragments than complete pieces still hold. Some, like "Morning News", especially seem like segments of a larger whole that just isn't there. If it is, it isn't connected to these pieces in a way that seems to flow.
    This is my feeling after several listens. I do like it more than the past 3 albums, but I do feel link a lot of it could have been developed more. Which would have been fine, a triple or quadruple set

Seriously though, I do miss the epics, even though I still don't get much out of Numbers.

All that said, I think it's a solid album for them and certainly gets a lot of the old vibes back for me.