Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: THE FLOWER KINGS: Islands - October 30

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It is, but I'd love for FK to spend more time in minor keys for a change.
    For a change?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Another track from the new album has been uploaded by Inside Out. Undeniably TFK. A bit understated, but in a good way. Two thumbs up from me!

Wow, I love that. Sounds like they are done with the style they adopted during their dire Banks of Eden-Desolation Rose period. Song's too short though!
    Last edited by yesstiles; 09-27-2020 at 05:42 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't have much to say, except it's really f**king nice!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-26-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Wow, I love that. Sounds like they are done with the style they adopted during their dire Banks of Eden-Desolation Rose period. Too short though!
    Even though I really liked Banks and Desolation Rose, I'm not unhappy to hear them doing stuff like this too.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Thanks for posting! Your review makes me even more excited to hear it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Another quality review!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000493372210

Good Interview with Roine on "Yes Music Podcast" : Anderson/Stolt 1 and 2, Transatlantic, Sea Within, new TFK album talk, Roger Dean.

Nice review! Thanks for posting.
    <sig out of order>

My favorite FK album! Last Minute On Earth is probably my favorite song of theirs. Love the ending instrumentals and Serious Dreamers with all it's synth solos. The mini epics aren't bad either. Also has that classic early 00s prog cover art.

Could you elaborate on this? I Sum is supposed to be more 'proggy' but every album has short tunes, mini epics and sometimes a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    My favorite FK album! Last Minute On Earth is probably my favorite song of theirs. Love the ending instrumentals and Serious Dreamers with all it's synth solos. The mini epics aren't bad either. Also has that classic early 00s prog cover art.
    The new album is your favorite?

A new video from the album:

Says Roine: "The plan was to write and record a very 'intuitive & inclusive' album where we could be free to do any style to fit in a multicolour tapestry. Morning News was an acoustic piece that was a natural choice - sort of a simple McCartney style acoustic song - that needed little or no wall of sounds. The song is about a beautiful end, realisation and acceptance of our own mortality."

Dropped today....like a big double bag of flour.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dropped today....like a big double bag of flour.
    Flour power!

I've been looking forward to this one -- in fact, I woke up this morning thinking about it. Hoping that my vinyl box gets here today, as it shipped a week ago. But I may just listen to it on Spotify first rather than wait all day.

I got it two days ago. Heared it 3 times now and here is my take.

I think its a good album but not a great album.

The great plus is the great variety in songs; yessy songs, bluesy ones, funky bits and even some jazzy stuff.

There are a lot of tunes on these 2 cds and some do sound a bit leightweight, however there are some stretches of strong material. Most notably the second part of cd1 and the first part of cd2 (except the first track). Makes you wonder if they should not have made 1 very strong.... oh wait! We've been there many times before. Lets not go there again :-)

Overall I think its a step up from the previous one and the FK fans will be pleased. This new aproach with shorter and varied material works quite well.

Just want to add: A new species is really the standout track here. This is really on par with the best they've done.

^ Thanks for the insights, man. I appreciate it. And glad that you found it to be a good album, even if it's not great. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Agree on "A New Species" Kamins really brought some strong material to this album and that song in particular sounds exactly like what would happen if An Endless Sporadic merged with The Flower Kings. It's great!

I'm really warming up to the album after several listens now. As a long time fan I was (and still am) a little surprised when songs like "Riding with Blinders On" and "Fool's Gold" suddenly fade out and end after 3 or 4 minutes. It seems like those songs are just getting started to me. In old TFK world these would have been 8 or 9 minute songs with lots of twists and turns along the way. This is a very tight and song focused album. Anyone who complained about filler or noodling won't find that here, however I was never one of those so I kind of miss that some of the songs aren't allowed to stretch out a little more. "Solaris" is one of the few exceptions.

One other thing - Jonas sounds great! It's a pleasure just to follow his bass lines and they are recorded really clearly.

Mine just arrived today, but have not had time to listen to it yet.

Mine didn't arrive today after all, so I opted to listen on Spotify. A couple tracks into the second disc, and it's quite good. I'm enjoying it so far.

"Tangerine" is a nifty little tune. I really like that one.

A TFK album that's focused on shorter songs may catch my interest. I love them, but years ago I grew tired of their "epics with many twists and turns and everything including the kitchen sink". I know this is what a lot of fans love about them, but I'm open to a more concise approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    A TFK album that's focused on shorter songs may catch my interest. I love them, but years ago I grew tired of their "epics with many twists and turns and everything including the kitchen sink". I know this is what a lot of fans love about them, but I'm open to a more concise approach.
    Ditto, as long as it isn't a double album.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Does anyone know where I can buy a hi res download of this? Qoboz only sells it in CD quality. HDtracks and 7Digital (US) aren't carrying it, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I understand what you mean, although I typically really like their epics. The last time they really did that was on 2012's Banks of Eden though, so it's been a while. They've been sticking to shorter songs for the last few records, at least relatively speaking.