Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: THE FLOWER KINGS: Islands - October 30

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I completely agree, i never have warmed up to Adam & Eve or anything that came after.
    How do you define "latest"? Adam & Eve was 16 years ago now.

I think that Unfold the Future is their crowning achievement. It's sprawling and ambitious, plus their most fusion-y record to date. But I do tend to prefer their music from Space Revolver and later rather than the earlier stuff. I think they developed more of their own sound as they went on.

Tomas Bodin is one of my favorite keyboardists, period. He was super nice when I met him; he stood around and chatted for several minutes, even seemed to know how far away my hometown was when I told him where I'd traveled from. Still have the copy of Carpe Diem that he and Roine signed.

I'm bummed out that Tomas isn't on these CDs, although Zack is a great player too. But it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I completely agree, i never have warmed up to Adam & Eve or anything that came after.

If you delete the song Elaine Rainmaker is a damn good record.
    Agreed, although I dig that tune too! City of Angels is such an ass-kicker on that one...totally underrated or undersomething. I love Roine's Vox Wah comping on that during the verses, and the chorus is so damn catchy. A tune like that shows them at their best imo, but I can see some folks thinking the layer of cheese is too thick? I don't listen to these guys much anymore but those albums from World of Adventures through about Adam and Eve have some rippin' stuff on there. How about the Cinema Show-esque section on Big Puzzle? Not 100% original but good stuff right there anyway.

^ City of Angels is one of my faves, for sure. Is it cheesy? Maybe a bit -- but I like cheese! But seriously, it doesn't fall into melodrama and the music is tight. What's not to love?

I don't listen to TFK as much as I used to, but I still dust off some of their CDs from time to time.

The only Flower Kings songs that I actively can't stand are the vampire one, the nazi one and the one about hating an ugly baby. I don't even understand the last one.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    the one about hating an ugly baby. I don't even understand the last one.
    I'm sorry, which song is this?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'm sorry, which song is this?
    I think it's "Jealousy" off of Paradox Hotel.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

The only Flower Kings songs that I actively can't stand are the vampire one, the nazi one and the one about hating an ugly baby. I don't even understand the last one.
    Is that Elaine? Smiling like a horse? I always thought he was busting balls on that or something....it's definitely a strange lyric.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is that Elaine? Smiling like a horse? I always thought he was busting balls on that or something....it's definitely a strange lyric.
    Maybe? I have to go listen.

I think it's "Jealousy" off of Paradox Hotel.
    I don't think that's what "Jealousy" is about.

It is an odd lyric, for sure. I always took it to mean he was describing someone who was maybe "not all there" mentally, but I could always be wrong.

I don't love every Flower Kings song - just most of them.

Yeah, the vampire one sucks...goodness gracious!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Yeah, the vampire one sucks...

How do you define "latest"? Adam & Eve was 16 years ago now.

I think that Unfold the Future is their crowning achievement. It's sprawling and ambitious, plus their most fusion-y record to date. But I do tend to prefer their music from Space Revolver and later rather than the earlier stuff. I think they developed more of their own sound as they went on.

Tomas Bodin is one of my favorite keyboardists, period. He was super nice when I met him; he stood around and chatted for several minutes, even seemed to know how far away my hometown was when I told him where I'd traveled from. Still have the copy of Carpe Diem that he and Roine signed.

I'm bummed out that Tomas isn't on these CDs, although Zack is a great player too. But it is what it is.
    Agreed about Tomas. It’s difficult for me seeing him to involved anymore with the band. He’s is very fan friendly and goes out of his way for the fans. He always has.

Zack is fantastic as well. The Kings are
    Roine’s outlet and always has been. I respect anything that he does immensely. I’m sure we are in for a treat with Islands.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Like "Islands", The Mandalorian Season 2 will also be released on October 30.

Double treat right before Trick or TREAT

I don't know about others, but other than the 1st 2 Flower King records, I can't tell which album a random song comes from. They all sound the same to me. Thus, I'll stick with what I have and not be buying the new one. "New" doesn't apply to Flower Kings music to my ears. Heresy, I know. I feel the same about Neil Morse, Transatlantic, and Big Big Train. No "new" ground gets trodden.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

Double treat right before Trick or TREAT
    This is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I don't know about others, but other than the 1st 2 Flower King records, I can't tell which album a random song comes from. They all sound the same to me. Thus, I'll stick with what I have and not be buying the new one. "New" doesn't apply to Flower Kings music to my ears. Heresy, I know. I feel the same about Neil Morse, Transatlantic, and Big Big Train. No "new" ground gets trodden.
    This is the way.

Agreed. I have a similar problem with other bands who keep remaking the same album over and over. Sometimes though people overlook that because they like the sound that a band makes so much they are quite happy to have more of it, which is fair enough.

Usually if I like the band I'm most likely going to like the new songs, (usually) YMMV.

I don't know about others, but other than the 1st 2 Flower King records, I can't tell which album a random song comes from.
    I've seen this criticism before (that they all "sound the same"), but I think it stems from a lack of familiarity. They've made several albums which have a distinct sound, when compared to others from their catalog. The songs on UTF sound instantly recognizable, for example, especially compared to Adam & Eve, or Paradox Hotel, or Space Revolver. But I have all their CDs and have listened to them a lot over the years, so again, familiarity is a factor.

I think TFK also suffer from so many filler tracks or rather weak tracks. I have had all of their albums except the last two but have got rid of quite a few due to this. No matter how familiar I am with their music is not going to make me like it any more, in fact I became very bored with it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think TFK also suffer from so many filler tracks or rather weak tracks. I have had all of their albums except the last two but have got rid of quite a few due to this.
    They've definitely had weak or "filler" tracks on their albums. But when there's that much music, a lot of those tracks can be removed and you're still left with an LP's worth of tunes (to paraphrase Todd Rundgren). IMO the quality music outweighs the throwaway tracks.

No matter how familiar I am with their music is not going to make me like it any more, in fact I became very bored with it.
    I thought it was obvious that I was not saying that. But let me try again...

From my perspective the criticism of all the albums "sounding the same", or that they keep making the "same album over and over", is probably a result of just not knowing the music/band very well. I've seen that same argument said several times here by different folks -- and it's something that I could say about any band with whom I'm marginally acquainted. For instance, upon hearing a Henry Cow song I couldn't tell you which album it's from because all Henry Cow songs sound very similar to me -- but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the music, it's due to my own lack of familiarity with the material.

That's why I find it to be a tired argument, but it's a popular one to make here when it comes to certain bands. I've heard TFK try enough different things over the years that I've not gotten bored by them yet. But they're never going to come out with a record that sounds like Art Zoyd.

I guess I don't understand why you post in a TFK thread when you don't seem to have any interest in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    Agreed about Tomas. It’s difficult for me seeing him to involved anymore with the band. He’s is very fan friendly and goes out of his way for the fans. He always has.

Zack is fantastic as well. The Kings are
    Roine’s outlet and always has been. I respect anything that he does immensely. I’m sure we are in for a treat with Islands.
    Yeah, Tomas is/was such an asset to the overall sound -- and that dude can play. Watching him solo on "The Truth Will Set You Free" when I saw them in Pittsburgh was a blast. Of the "big names" from the 70s, I guess he's probably closer in style to Wakeman than Banks or Emerson, but honestly I like him better than Wakeman. Not that Tomas is objectively better or anything, I just enjoy his playing a lot more. That might have just cost me my prog street cred...

Actually, I really liked the direction TFK were going in with Desolation Rose, so Waiting For Miracles didn't quite hit me as hard. I like it, and it has grown on me, but I had to adjust my expectations a bit. I kinda expect Islands will be in a similar vein, and that's fine of course. I don't know if they'll ever do a song as cool (IMO) as "Last Carnivore", but I'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    This is the way.
    I didn't realize this until you guys mentioned it, but now I'm really stoked! More Mando and TFK, on the same day no less!

They've definitely had weak or "filler" tracks on their albums. But when there's that much music, a lot of those tracks can be removed and you're still left with an LP's worth of tunes (to paraphrase Todd Rundgren). IMO the quality music outweighs the throwaway tracks.

I thought it was obvious that I was not saying that. But let me try again...

From my perspective the criticism of all the albums "sounding the same", or that they keep making the "same album over and over", is probably a result of just not knowing the music/band very well. I've seen that same argument said several times here by different folks -- and it's something that I could say about any band with whom I'm marginally acquainted. For instance, upon hearing a Henry Cow song I couldn't tell you which album it's from because all Henry Cow songs sound very similar to me -- but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the music, it's due to my own lack of familiarity with the material.

That's why I find it to be a tired argument, but it's a popular one to make here when it comes to certain bands. I've heard TFK try enough different things over the years that I've not gotten bored by them yet. But they're never going to come out with a record that sounds like Art Zoyd.

I guess I don't understand why you post in a TFK thread when you don't seem to have any interest in the band. [emoji38]
    As I said, I have owned most of their albums, been a fan since 2000, have seen them live but have become bored with them, so I'm interested but doubt I'll buy the new album.

As I said, I have owned most of their albums, been a fan since 2000, have seen them live but have become bored with them, so I'm interested but doubt I'll buy the new album.

I know. That wasn't what I was talking about. I thought that was made clear, but evidently not.

Never mind.
    Last edited by aith01; 1 Week Ago at 05:35 PM.

Sounds good. I prefer Roine's singing though.

I would love for them to go back to their Flower Power/Sum Of No Evil style of music-making.