Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: THE FLOWER KINGS: Islands - October 30

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've seen this criticism before (that they all "sound the same"), but I think it stems from a lack of familiarity. They've made several albums which have a distinct sound, when compared to others from their catalog. The songs on UTF sound instantly recognizable, for example, especially compared to Adam & Eve, or Paradox Hotel, or Space Revolver. But I have all their CDs and have listened to them a lot over the years, so again, familiarity is a factor.
    This. One of the things I really like about Flower Kings albums is that, apart from the songs themselves, they are for the most part very nice sounding recordings. It's hard for me to separate the sonics from the songs after a while. I do think that Back In The World Of Adventures and Retropolis sound quite similar to each other, but otherwise I think most of the albums do have distinct differences. As far as songwriting I think things have evolved over time, but there's definitely the thread of a trademark sound (songwriting-wise) which runs through them all which is largely Roine's musical fingerprints.

But like you, aith01, I've heard these a lot over the years.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think TFK also suffer from so many filler tracks or rather weak tracks. I have had all of their albums except the last two but have got rid of quite a few due to this. No matter how familiar I am with their music is not going to make me like it any more, in fact I became very bored with it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm surprised you would even bother anymore.
    <sig out of order>

I've seen this criticism before (that they all "sound the same"), but I think it stems from a lack of familiarity. They've made several albums which have a distinct sound, when compared to others from their catalog. The songs on UTF sound instantly recognizable, for example, especially compared to Adam & Eve, or Paradox Hotel, or Space Revolver. But I have all their CDs and have listened to them a lot over the years, so again, familiarity is a factor.
    Point taken. The Flower Kings have put out a LOT of music. Most of it is very high quality. I guess, given that there's so much more music out there by other artists, investing the time to become more familiar with the FK's catalog just doesn't make sense for me. I think after two or three of their albums, you "get the idea". I must confess to feeling the same way about a lot of music. Steve Morse is another one that comes to mind. A lot of his Steve Morse Band records sound indistinguishable from one another. Should I buy the new one even though it's probably not going to plow any new ground or simply listen to one of my favorites that I already have and investigate something new? The recent run of Steve Hackett records is another example. I guess I'm glad to see that some others feel the same as me. I'm not meaning to crap on a FK thread, as I admire them and like the several albums I have by them. I just don't need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Point taken. The Flower Kings have put out a LOT of music. Most of it is very high quality. I guess, given that there's so much more music out there by other artists, investing the time to become more familiar with the FK's catalog just doesn't make sense for me. I think after two or three of their albums, you "get the idea". I must confess to feeling the same way about a lot of music. Steve Morse is another one that comes to mind. A lot of his Steve Morse Band records sound indistinguishable from one another. Should I buy the new one even though it's probably not going to plow any new ground or simply listen to one of my favorites that I already have and investigate something new? The recent run of Steve Hackett records is another example. I guess I'm glad to see that some others feel the same as me. I'm not meaning to crap on a FK thread, as I admire them and like the several albums I have by them. I just don't need another one.
    Good points. I have a few bands that I feel the same way about. I don't know if I could really say exactly why I want to hear another Flower Kings album and not, say, a new Big Big Train album. I mean, I could point at a couple factors, but maybe when I got done listing those things out it would turn out others could apply the same criticisms to TFK. So I tend to think it's just some sort of hard-to-define personal preferences at play.
    <sig out of order>

My thoughts exactly, funnily enough I do have all of Steve Morse's albums too, sadly he hasn't made a new one for years, agree about Hackett too.

Those are fair points, and I understand where you're coming from. Actually I feel pretty much the same about Steve Hackett's recent albums, which is why I haven't picked up the last few. I'm sure there are other examples of artists/bands I feel that way about too. There's a ton of music out there to investigate, and like you said we have to choose how we'll spend our time listening/exploring. I didn't think you were thread-crapping, and in fact I appreciate your point of view, so thank you for elaborating.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Good points. I have a few bands that I feel the same way about. I don't know if I could really say exactly why I want to hear another Flower Kings album and not, say, a new Big Big Train album. I mean, I could point at a couple factors, but maybe when I got done listing those things out it would turn out others could apply the same criticisms to TFK. So I tend to think it's just some sort of hard-to-define personal preferences at play.
    This is a good point too.

Am I the only one getting a decidedly "Fracture" vibe from "Broken?" Not that a little KC spice hurt any dish...
    The Prog Corner

TFK have a consistent sound, style and production which sounds great to my ears, but I don't hear it as "doing the same thing over and over" because of these differences -- there are albums with epics and albums without... albums with very little Hasse for those who don't like his vocal style... albums with saxophone and albums without... albums with wacky percussion and sound effects and albums without... albums with more or fewer instrumentals... albums with psychedelia... albums with more straight ahead rock... structured instrumentals vs. freeform instrumentals vs. ambient soundscape instrumentals... albums with Daniel Gildenlow doing a few lead vocals... an album with moody, spare acoustic songs (Paradox Hotel)...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I love this lineup. Has anyone spent any quality time with An Endless Sporadic? If so, then you know that the future of TFK is in great hands - Bodin or not.
    The Prog Corner

^ Only really listened to the first CD from An Endless Sporadic. Although I have their second one, I still haven't actually spent any time with it. I need to though.

I really enjoyed the first An Endless Sporadic album. But it was the second one Magic Machine where it really took it to another level in playing and composition. I absolutely love that one. Jonas plays on it and Roine guests on one song. Jonas said it was the most challenging album he ever played on from a technical standpoint. But this is not just shredding complexity - it is very melodic. I think Zach is a perfect fit for TFK and hopefully he keeps going with Endless too.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love this lineup. Has anyone spent any quality time with An Endless Sporadic? If so, then you know that the future of TFK is in great hands - Bodin or not.
    Didn't know about this group so I'm listening now. First album, the song "Shell". Right at the 1:05 mark is, I think, something that sounds a lot like the opening phrases of the FK song "House of Cards". Not exactly, but it's certainly in the same vein.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Another track from the new album has been uploaded by Inside Out. Undeniably TFK. A bit understated, but in a good way. Two thumbs up from me!

They should change their name to The Flower Pants.

Or The Flour Keys.

Glad to see Roine is still rocking the flower pants.

Long live the Flour Keys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    They should change their name to The Flower Pants.
    Then the Brits would be wondering why they named themselves after underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Then the Brits would be wondering why they named themselves after underwear.
    I meant The Flower Underwear.

Keyboardist Zach can certainly play.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Keyboardist Zach can certainly play.
    He's very good. He turns in some fine performances on this new album as well as the previous one. More on that when it's 'review time'!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Or The Flour Keys.
    That's one way to make some bread.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That's one way to make some bread.
    Especially if you're baked
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I like that new tune. The Yessness is high on that one.

I predict that due to Jon and Roine having worked together, Jon will join the band as full-time lead vocalist, and the band will change it's name to 'Yes featuring Jon Anderson and the Swedish Guy.'

You heard it here first.

It is, but I'd love for FK to spend more time in minor keys for a change.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.