Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FLOWER KINGS: Islands - October 30

Last Minute on Earth in particular is perhaps Hasse's most powerful and emotional vocal performance ever.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Last Minute on Earth in particular is perhaps Hasse's most powerful and emotional vocal performance ever.
    Yeah, I love his singing on that one.

Well this is a nice surprise! I felt ‘Waiting for Miracles’ was a nice return to form. They kind of lost me on ‘banks of Eden’, which is my least favorite. I have a feeling there’ll be plenty of enjoyable music on Islands. Probably not too long before we have a YouTube video...

<sig out of order>

Well that bodes well. Really enjoyed that.

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!
    The Prog Corner

Is it just me or does that track appear to have more of the "fairy dust" that was largely absent from the TFK albums of recent years?
    <sig out of order>

oh man this is going to be tough - but gotta be disciplined - not going to listen until I get the album.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ^^ You're a stronger man than I .

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    And quite enjoyed that track.

It DOES sound good. I've really not liked the last few they did so pleasantly surprised, although it does sound like they've done this before.

I like it, it's the Flower Kings, the group that brought back the Prog after it had been detoured. really how you gonna knock Roine after all he has done to bring the music forward, what a great guy, what a great band! Pick it apart if you must but really he's bringing it as best he can and I LOVE IT, YMMV

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is very promising indeed - like it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It sounds like typical FK for the whole verse/chorus....but the best part is the instrumental passage which has been absent from the latter albums, not that I know them very well tbh. I like this band when they stretch out at points.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It sounds like typical FK for the whole verse/chorus....but the best part is the instrumental passage which has been absent from the latter albums, not that I know them very well tbh. I like this band when they stretch out at points.
    I am in the same boat. I do not care much for the singsong part but the instrumental part DOES sound inspired. I will probably buy this one.

Preview track sounds great, I'm in! TFK hasn't released a bad album in my book. The "worst" (or least good) TFK album is still better than my worst Rush or Yes albums. There are Rush and Yes albums I can't/won't listen to whereas every TFK rekkid is an enjoyable spin. I hope some of those song titles include quirky instrumentals.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Listened to the single a few times already and like it. As said above, it's The Flower Kings and that's what I'm looking forward to listening to come October 30th.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am in the same boat. I do not care much for the singsong part but the instrumental part DOES sound inspired. I will probably buy this one.
    To my ears there's nothing particularly special about the track. I've always preferred Roine's vocals to Hasse. Agreed about the instrumental portion however. If they can build off the Miracles album, they may have something.

I agree with Frank that TFK is always best when they can stretch out. I'd also add/suggest that much of their earlier work is focuses on simple themes/melodies and grooves and is less complex/proggy, or trying to be.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

For what it's worth, I simply enjoy their music. Listening to a Flower Kings album is always a pleasant experience and it makes me feel content. What can I say, I like nice melodies and they always provide me with those.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    For what it's worth, I simply enjoy their music. Listening to a Flower Kings album is always a pleasant experience and it makes me feel content. What can I say, I like nice melodies and they always provide me with those.
    I totaly agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'd also add/suggest that much of their earlier work is focuses on simple themes/melodies and grooves and is less complex/proggy, or trying to be.
    Not sure I agree with this. Retropolis and Stardust We Are both have some pretty complex/proggy stuff on them. I actually think they moved away from "trying" to be proggy on Desolation Rose, as all the songs were shorter and punchier except for the opening track (which is still "short" by TFK standards ). It was a slightly different direction for them; a bit darker, a bit harder. But "The Resurrected Judas" is a beautiful song IMO (and maybe the most overtly Genesis-influenced they've ever sounded).

Typical TFK is just fine. They don't need to reinvent the wheel for me, I already like Roine's style of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. Retropolis and Stardust We Are both have some pretty complex/proggy stuff on them. I actually think they moved away from "trying" to be proggy on Desolation Rose, as all the songs were shorter and punchier except for the opening track (which is still "short" by TFK standards ).
    I think you're taking my comment in a different direction than intended. I'm not saying early TFK is not complex or proggy.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think you're taking my comment in a different direction than intended. I'm not saying early TFK is not complex or proggy.
    I guess I don't understand what you meant then.

I like The Rainmaker (well, most of it). More than the lastest-ish stuff anyway.
    I completely agree, i never have warmed up to Adam & Eve or anything that came after.

If you delete the song Elaine Rainmaker is a damn good record.