Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yes -Royal Affair Tour (Live in Las Vegas)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    and here is the pic, look up Brindleysmusic on Instagram.

Attachment 14540
    What is the third neck, with 6 strings, which look they form pairs?

Similar to a 12string guitar (and 8 string basses), the pairs are forming octaves to produce a natural chorusing effect.
    Although Chris Squire has mentioned he has tuned the two higher pairs of the 8 string in fifths for the song Changes

Chris Squire Master Licks video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprcYnffK_o) , from minute 24:30
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    Similar to a 12string guitar (and 8 string basses), the pairs are forming octaves to produce a natural chorusing effect.
    Although Chris Squire has mentioned he has tuned the two higher pairs of the 8 string in fifths for the song Changes

Chris Squire Master Licks video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprcYnffK_o) , from minute 24:30
    So it's a kind of 6 string bass, instead of an 8 string bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    and here is the pic, look up Brindleysmusic on Instagram.

Attachment 14540
    OMG this image also features the Thunderbird Bass that Chris played during "Owner of a Lonely Heart" too!!

The Gibson Thunderbird models have a chapter in Geddy Lee's BBBB book featuring Reverse (and non-Reverse), II, III and IV but does not have this Emerald Green.
    I'm sure Geddy would be "green" with envy..LoL

Thanks to all who enthusiastically gave your feedback on my question about the Chris Squire triple neck and gave your own views and comments, all very cool. Even Henry's.

So considering if there are a few replicas around the globe, the authentic triple neck Bass is with Chris' family in Arizona - safe to say.

I think the triple neck copies were made by a Japanese guitar maker who gave one to Chris and kept the other for himself. I hope Chris's wife doesn't feel the need to sell his basses although long term of course that will likely end up happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    So it's a kind of 6 string bass, instead of an 8 string bass?
    I think of it more as a 3-string bass (with octaves).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    OMG this image also features the Thunderbird Bass that Chris played during "Owner of a Lonely Heart" too!!

The Gibson Thunderbird models have a chapter in Geddy Lee's BBBB book featuring Reverse (and non-Reverse), II, III and IV but does not have this Emerald Green.
    I'm sure Geddy would be "green" with envy..LoL
    That's not a Thunderbird, that's a Mouradian bass built for Chris with his initials on the front. He did have a non-rev 60s T-bird that he used on Does It Really Happen and a few others (Release Release?).

Squire bird4.jpg

The 6 string on the triple neck was originally a normal guitar, but he had it changed to pairs tuned Aa Dd Gg. Like an 8 string with the E strings lopped off.

OMG this image also features the Thunderbird Bass that Chris played during "Owner of a Lonely Heart" too
    That is a Mouradian Bass. Jim Mouradian made 25 initial units. Here is a Reverb link about #6 of 25:

https://reverb.com/item/3368021-mour...ginal-25-built
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

And here's the story of the original Wal triple neck:

http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/2...-neck-wal.html

I realize this isn't going to be a popular opinion in these parts, but having given this a listen and a half since last night, this might be the best live album they've dropped since Lyon. Tempos are up, Billy and Schellen are locked tight, everyone sounds great. I liked the 50th anniversary album, but this ups the game a bit from that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I realize this isn't going to be a popular opinion in these parts, but having given this a listen and a half since last night, this might be the best live album they've dropped since Lyon. Tempos are up, Billy and Schellen are locked tight, everyone sounds great. I liked the 50th anniversary album, but this ups the game a bit from that one.
    There's some good energy on the early numbers. "NONNEN" and "Tempus Fugit" are good; "America" less so, I though.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I think of it more as a 3-string bass (with octaves).
    Indeed, so the same way a 8 string bass is a 4 string with octaves.

You can also have a 12-string bass being a 4 string with 2 octave strings. I even have known someone playing an 18-string bass, being a 6-string with double octave strings.

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    And here's the story of the original Wal triple neck:

http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/2...-neck-wal.html
    So if this history is accurate, the Wal Bass is now in the Hard Rock Cafe NYC where it was returned by Chris himself.
    It is one true valuable piece of YES and PROG history indeed. Thanks for sharing.

But only Awaken can be played on it.

Don't even try OTHER tunes.

How about the original King Arthur songs it was actually made for? The occasional guitar parts can be played (again) when using octave strings on the topmost neck (putting back the original nut or a similar one)

I got this the other day and its no WAP but its ok I guess.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Received my copy and listened to the Royal Affair Live CD; excellent sound and cover.

But that's it. Nothing new or extraordinary about it, if you are not a completist like me, avoid it. It's a so weird that Gates of delirium was not included (we know why) and only God knows if ever it will be played again live in the post-covid world.
    But if it does, as we all hope, that further live release with Gates won't happen - if we're lucky - until 2022 at the earliest.

Received my copy and listened to the Royal Affair Live CD; excellent sound and cover.

But that's it. Nothing new or extraordinary about it, if you are not a completist like me, avoid it. It's a so weird that Gates of delirium was not included (we know why) and only God knows if ever it will be played again live in the post-covid world.
    But if it does, as we all hope, that further live release with Gates won't happen - if we're lucky - until 2022 at the earliest.
    Agreed 100%. I caved in and bought it because I am a bit of a Yes collector but there is no reason to play it twice.

OK I admit -- I kinda like this version of Siberian Khatru. No Opportunity Needed.... is an interesting choice. I've Seen All Good People is also not bad on here.
    Yeah, Gates would have been nice. Its not like you get Gates of Delirium every tour, even if it wasnt as good as the version on Yesshows.
    Amazon once again sucks. This album came out on the 28th I think? I didn't get the physical CD for almost a week even though I pre-ordered (maybe stress buying a bit ok I admit), oh and I didnt get the digital download through amazon music until today. Thanks guys.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I gave it a listen yesterday while I was out raking leaves in the yard.. I saw the tour last year so this version didn't surprise me much.. overall an enjoyable listen. (I even added a version of Gates from earlier in the tour just for good measure)

Listening to the opening track, No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed, it occurs to me: none of the musicians in this performance appeared in the original recording. That lineup was Anderson, Banks, Bruford, Kaye and Squire. It might as well have been a cover or tribute band performing it on this album...as good as the performance actually was.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Listening to the opening track, No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed, it occurs to me: none of the musicians in this performance appeared in the original recording. That lineup was Anderson, Banks, Bruford, Kaye and Squire. It might as well have been a cover or tribute band performing it on this album...as good as the performance actually was.
    Indeed.

Although, to be fair, Anderson, Banks, Bruford, Kaye and Squire weren't on the original recording either, what with it being a Richie Havens song.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Indeed.

Although, to be fair, Anderson, Banks, Bruford, Kaye and Squire weren't on the original recording either, what with it being a Richie Havens song.

Henry
    Again, the Yessed-up version is miles away from the Havens track, as their covers often were in those days. Howe & co. are not covering Richie Havens, they are covering Yes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Again, the Yessed-up version is miles away from the Havens track, as their covers often were in those days. Howe & co. are not covering Richie Havens, they are covering Yes.
    Well, that's true in some ways, and not in others. I'm pretty certain royalties are still going to Havens' estate.

I think the situation illustrates how music is a living, breathing thing that doesn't necessarily have a single origin.

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

There are three officially released live versions of “Gates of Delirium” to go along with numerous bootlegs. Take your pick. Of course I’d enjoy a newly released official live version too...but one recorded between 74 and 76 please.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters