I rarely have dreams about music, let alone collecting it. Most of the dreams I remember are typical stuff - hot dogs chasing donuts.

Last night I had an unusual dream that I think is worth documenting. I was record shopping in a store I’ve never been to. I think it was in the US but in an unfamiliar city – everyone spoke fluent English so I guess I can rule out Brooklyn. The store was run by a couple – husband and wife. She was kind of dumpy looking, dressed like it was 1969. I don’t remember the husband as he was tending to the register.

It was vinyl only. The store was fairly organized but all the vinyl was displayed in U-Haul boxes – nothing fancy. I kept poking around through the bins and finding various prog albums sprinkled through out. Most of them looked interesting but I didn’t know what they were. I started a pile.

There was one particular French band the owner said was like Magma but taken to the next level. Very rare. The name of the band was Khantus. Pronounced Khan-tuss (not Can-toos). Think “Wrath Of Khan”. This had me very interested and I asked if I could hear it. The shop owner declined. She said she can’t play it on Saturdays – too many people in the store and the music is much too intense. I have to come back on a weekday to hear it. Since I was from out of town I couldn’t return so I never got to hear it.

The dream was so vivid that when I woke up I went on Discogs to see if such a band existed. There is no record of a band named Khantus.

I freely relinquish all rights to the name Khantus. If any musician or band wants to use the name you are free and clear of any restrictions. A donation to your local animal orphanage in the name of Khantus would be appreciated but not required.