Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Featured Album: Marillion - Marbles

Where is the RIO crowd on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I am a rio fan now but I was not when I was 16. I was a Marillion fan. I kept following them through their carreer although my musical preferences changed.

I think this is a fine album but not as good as Aos.

I'm in the RIO crowd, but I really like a lot of neo-prog. Not a big Hogarth fan. I can't count how many times I've tried to like Brave and utterly failed. Marbles isn't a keystone album for me, but it's in the "surprisingly good" category.

I like both the more avant/experimental arms of progressive music as well as the more traditional arms.

*shrug*
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I am an "RIO" fan, but also love Marillion. I think Marbles is awesome.

I also like Neo RIO. This is when a rock band tries to write stuff that sounds kinda like Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, and the keyboardist plays a DX7.
    Last edited by Rick L.; 09-02-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Grievous typo

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I like both the more avant/experimental arms of progressive music as well as the more traditional arms.

*shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I am an "RIO" fan, but also love Marillion. I think Marbles is awesome.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I also like Neo RIO. This is when a rock band tries to write stuff that sounds kinda like Messiaen's Quarter for the End of Time, and the keyboardist plays a DX7.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

*shrug*
    I think I'm viewed by some people on here as a 'symph weenie' or whatever. Yet I own and listen to more- say- Frank Zappa CDs than I do Marillion ones. However, I never took to Henry Cow at all. Played Leg End fairly recently as I still have it and sorry, still no dice. That strand of the music is not one I gravitiate towards, so I don't post about it.

Marillion are one of few bands deemed to be in the neo style I do still listen to (and even then, more from Misplaced Childhood onwards). The early IQ albums are the only others.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-02-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think I'm viewed by some people on here as a 'symph weenie' or whatever. Yet I own and listen to more- say- Frank Zappa CDs than I do Marillion ones. However, I never took to Henry Cow at all. Played Leg End fairly recently as I still have it and sorry, still no dice. That strand of the music is not one I gravitiate towards, so I don't post about it.

Marillion are one of few bands deemed to be in the neo style I do still listen to (and even then, more from Misplaced Childhood onwards). The early IQ albums are the only others.

I think that's actually really how it ought to be; we just like bands. And just because we like Band X in Genre Y doesn't necessarily mean we will like ALL bands in that genre

(Also, FWIW...Leg End did squat for me with Cow. I think In Praise of Learning was the one that I kind of liked and ended up using as my gateway)
    Last edited by battema; 09-02-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nice review, Duncan.

Great album! I like all the songs on it. IMO the poppier songs on this are some of their best poppy songs - they have a few clunkers when they try to get a hit or rock out, IMO. But The Damage is great, as is YouÂ’re Gone. Both those songs have great lyrics. And DonÂ’t Hurt Yourself is simply an excellent song which would have been a big hit in some alternate world. A great, American-sounding song. Some Country artist probably could have made it a hit.

I still donÂ’t understand what some people have against Anorak or Somewhere Else. Anorak has only one song I donÂ’t really like (Map of the World), and Somewhere Else has only Most Toys for me to dislike, and IÂ’m lukewarm on See It Like a Baby.

But I like all Marillion albums and only really dislike a handful of their songs. I became a fan in ‘83 Soon after seeing and ignoring them open for Rush at Radio City Music Hall, and never got off the bus.

Although Marillion's pop songs are not what I look forward to when listening to their albums, I also think Marbles features some of their best poppy material. Yes, Don"t Hurt Yourself could have been a hit if performed by some other artist. Even the ones that don't do much for me, like Angelina, have an undeniable special quality.

(My favorite Marillion pop song may be Tumbling Down The Years on .com, but I've never really heard any praise on that one. I just love it, for whatever reason.)

^I think the issue is, I ask myself would I listen to these sort of songs by someone else and I'd have to say no. They aren't objectionable though.

The album as a whole was arguably their best since Afraid Of Sunlight.

Please elaborate as to what you believe that alleged "crowd" to be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Please elaborate as to what you believe that alleged "crowd" to be.
    As opposed to the symph-weenie, he's talking of the RIO bradwursts.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-03-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Back to Marillion's Marble. My favourte track is Ocean's Cloud. I think Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, and Season's End are vastly superior but Marbles is still excellent. I saw the Marbles tour in Montreal and the audience loved them. I had great seats and the show was excellent.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-03-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Invisible Man is one of their strongest ever tracks IMO. They really nailed it with that one. I saw them play the whole album live at one of the Montreal weekends and it was pretty fantastic. Angelina is another favourite of mine, I love the vibe of that one. Really conjures the image of being wide awake at 3:00 am listening to the radio.

The one-disc version shouldn't even exist.

Being a fan of all 'types' of prog across the spectrum, it's of no importance to me whatsoever which 'crowd' does and doesn't like this album. It brings me great joy, what could matter more?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^ I was just listening to the Invisible Man, live in Chile, it's indeed a very powerful track.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Good album (of course the double set is superior) -- slightly better concert at the Fillmore in SF, if my memory is at all reliable. Hogarth always puts on a good sheewww, to quote Mr. Ed.

Oddly, while I like Hogarth Marillion more than Fish Marillion on a creative/artistic level, I find Fish Marillion albums a bit easier to just grab and throw on when I'm driving about. They're not quite as intellectually demanding and function better as "music to occupy air space". The Hogarth stuff tries so hard to get inside your head and I'm rarely in the mood for that anymore. Especially not these days!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My Top Three Marillion are all from the H era:

Marbles
    Brave
    FEAR

Never really took to any of their other albums...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^^ I was just listening to the Invisible Man, live in Chile, it's indeed a very powerful track.
    I see that track as Marillion's equivalent to Radiohead's "Creep".
    Regards,

Duncan

The eons are closing
    Thats generally my issue with post Anorak Marillion - they took all the wrong 'features' from Radiohead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Some of ‘Invisible Man’ reminds me of Talk Talk, circa Spirit of Eden. The singer’s voice and production values are often Hollis-esque.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Their last truly great album.
    Agreed.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

...sometimes I think,I should go see a shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    In what way? Creep is a simple little pop song. Invisible Man is structured very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    In what way? Creep is a simple little pop song. Invisible Man is structured very differently.
    I think he meant lyrically. In a "I'm invisible no-one sees me" kind of way.