Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerts you have no memory of

Concerts you have no memory of

OK, so someone posted a picture of his NEARfest t-shirt, from the year that Magma and Hawkwind were the headliners, on Facebook. So I was looking at the shirt, and I was shocked to see Magenta among the bands that also played that year. I have absolutely no recollection of seeing them, and in fact, I don't even remember them being on the bill. Zip! Zero! Nada!

OK, so I often times have to look at the Wiki page to be reminded of some of the bands that played each year, but then at least I can say "Oh, I remember not liking those guys" or "I remember that was the band that finished their set by playing their new album in it's entirety, and i had to get up for a bathroom break 30 minutes into it" or whatever. But no bells are ringing when at all when you say "Magenta". And obviously, I fully remember stuff like Magma (both times!), FM, Happy The Man, and whatever.

So has that happened to anyone else? Anyone else found out they saw a band that really just don't remember at all?

I have a drawer full of ticket stubs that I poke through on occasion.
    Did I really see that show?
    All.The.Time.
    And then there were the 3 bands for 3 bucks ( or 4, or 5 for 5 ) shows at 9:30. Hazy memories at best.
    The late 70's and early 80's were not kind to my concert going memory.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Many many like that...I guess if they never made an impact you forget them quite easy. Age and dope are a factor too...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

In my younger days (<20) there was a tendency to inhale alcohol and weed at concerts, and that has resulted in limited recollection of some concerts.
    Rather fast it also made me realize that this combination was a waste of money.

There's a saying: if you remember the 60s, you weren't there.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

High Bird. I apparently saw them at some point. I have no memory of having done so. I can literally remember nothing of their set. They can’t have been very memorable!

New Sun are another band I saw but have NO memory of them! At least they made an album, unlike High Bird, who were lost in the mists of time.
    Last edited by Progbear; 08-29-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Gentle Giant. <gasp> Well... maybe. Recently, I saw a promo poster for a Rick Wakeman "King Arthur" show that I saw in St. Louis (October 22, 1975). It lists Gentle Giant as opening for them, but I do not remember them at all. Setlist.fm also lists them as opening - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rick-...-3bee0878.html

So, 3 possibilities exist: 1) I saw them and don't remember them, 2) I arrived late and missed the opening act, 3) The poster and setlist.fm listing are incorrect.

I cannot believe that I would not have remembered them! (I really don't remember ANY opening act.) We did have to drive 100 miles for the show and may have been running late. Option 3 is also possible. Maybe a late cancellation? Options 1 or 2 would be very sad!
    Last edited by roylayer; 08-29-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Roxy Music back in the 70's
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There's a saying: if you remember the 60s, you weren't there.
    That's not true!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Gentle Giant. <gasp> Well... maybe. Recently, I saw a promo poster for a Rick Wakeman "King Arthur" show that I saw in St. Louis (October 22, 1975). It lists Gentle Giant as opening for them, but I do not remember them at all. Setlist.fm also lists them as opening - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rick-...-3bee0878.html

So, 3 possibilities exist: 1) I saw them and don't remember them, 2) I arrived late and missed the opening act, 3) The poster and setlist.fm listing are incorrect.

I cannot believe that I would not have remembered them! (I really don't remember ANY opening act.) We did have to drive 100 miles for the show and may have been running late. Option 3 is also possible. Maybe a late cancellation? Options 1 or 2 would be very sad!
    Sad it is, then. The Gentle Giant Tour History confirms that the gig took place, and that a tape exists.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sad it is, then. The Gentle Giant Tour History confirms that the gig took place, and that a tape exists.
    Arghh! Thanks for confirming it. I can't believe I missed that show. Rick Wakeman was fantastic at least!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    When we did the ticket-stub thing a few years back for our 30th wedding anniversary, as i posted at the time we found stubs for Todd and Utopia at the Fine Arts center at Umass Amherst and a King Crimson show at he same venue, both iirc (which is unlikely, hence this thread) in '81?

We have no recollection of these shows.

We blame Rorer de Mexico. We were in college.

Can't remember if I've forgot anyone...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I can't remember which concerts I've forgotten.

The Cowsils, Atlantic City, 1968 or '69. Okay, I was under ten years old, but still.

I pretty much remember every other show. I'm somewhat cursed with a very good memory.

I will state that I didn't recall seeing Bon Jovi opening for Ted Nugent in '84 or '85, until I saw my ticket stub. But, opening bands are often forgettable.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Um, what was the question again?

Age also plays a role in not remembering things.....................I'm sorry, what was I saying?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Audience
    Cactus
    Rod Stewart
    Dec 9 1971 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens.

I actually went strictly to see Cactus.

Rod had recently released Every Picture Tells a Story.

Unfortunately I drank a bottle of rum (26oz) and basically passed out before Cactus came on.

Woke up in time for Rod's encore, proceeded to toss my cookies all over the guy sitting in front of me and made a hasty exit before he noticed.

Not my proudest moment.

I was at Watkins Glen Summer Jam in 73 along with 600,000 others, Allmans, Dead and The Band. Total waste of $30 and a trip to Upper NY State since not only did we not see the bands but we couldn't even hear them unless the wind blew in our direction.

The only good thing I remember is acid and fireworks. It took longer to drive from the town of Watkins Glen to the racetrack venue that it did to drive from Toronto to Watkins Glen town

I should say that being an old fart, I’ve seen an untold number of concerts. How can I remember them all? I have a lot of my early shows’ tickets in photo albums. I should revisit them and see how many surprises are lurking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked through my old ticket stubs a few months ago for the first time in 20+ years, so those I sort of "remember"; the ones I don't have stubs for? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Looked through my old ticket stubs a few months ago for the first time in 20+ years, so those I sort of "remember"; the ones I don't have stubs for? Who knows?
    I haven't checked (or looked through) the box where I keep the stubs I kept or those thought worth keeping. That's whenever you get one anymore, which is getting rare.
    Some of those stubs are autographed too. (especially those from Verviers' Spirit of 66)
    I can't seem to find (haven't tried much either) my North Am ticket stubs of the 70's & 80's concerts I have gone to.

Do I remember everyone of them? My guess is 90% of them, I do remember.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

At my age I'm forgetting many shows that I attended. An old friend who I've known since a teenager reminds me all the time about shows that I completely forgot about. Of course there are shows that I'll never forget. Here they are:

The Seeds-1967 (first concert ever)
    Jimi Hendrix-1969
    Spirit-1969
    Ten Years After-1969
    Poco-1971
    Led Zeppelin-1971
    Black Sabbath-1971
    Jeff Beck Group (2nd)-1972
    ELP-1972, 74, 96
    Deep Purple-1974
    Renaissance-1974
    Gentle Giant-1974,75,76
    Frank Zappa-1974
    YES-1975,76,77,78,80
    Genesis-1976,77
    PFM-1977
    Nektar-1977,2012
    Tangerine Dream-1977,80
    UK-1978
    Peter Hammill-1978
    Brand X-1979
    Robert Fripp-1979
    Steve Hackett-1980,05,13,14
    Wall of Voodoo-1981,83
    Mike Oldfield-1982
    Fibonaccis-1984
    Vangelis (guest Jon Anderson)-1986
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse-1986
    Emerson, Lake & Powell-1986
    Jethro Tull-1987
    Loreena McKennitt-1994
    King Crimson-1995,08,14,19
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-2000
    Simon & Garfunkel with The Everly Brothers-2003
    21st Century Schizoid Band-2004
    The Pineapple Thief-2019

Everything else is a blur.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Audience
    Cactus
    Rod Stewart
    Dec 9 1971 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens.

I actually went strictly to see Cactus.

Rod had recently released Every Picture Tells a Story.

Unfortunately I drank a bottle of rum (26oz) and basically passed out before Cactus came on.

Woke up in time for Rod's encore, proceeded to toss my cookies all over the guy sitting in front of me and made a hasty exit before he noticed.

Not my proudest moment.
    That's an honest appraisal but I laughed out loud (my own memories from the 70s and 80s).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

There are a couple of shows I saw back in the early 80's that I have no ticket stubs for, and I cannot find any remembrances of on the Interwebs.
    One was with Chris Cutler, Fred Frith, Tim Hodgkinson and others as I recall.
    I think it was at Friendship Station in Washington DC .
    It bugs me that I don't remember it more
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Going down the memory-stub lane,

I obviously saw Marillion in 1986 - I've always told ppl it was sad I really didn't get the chance see them

Same goes for Toto 1987 and Saga in 1988. I wasn't on anything and dead sober! I've saved the stubs and even written some short personal comment with each. But I can't remember anything whatsoever about the concerts.

In comparison, I have vivid memories of Queen the week before Marillon and Al Jarreau/David Sanborn a few weeks before Toto. Regarding Saga, I almost remember the entire setlist of a smaller-venue concert in the 90's. As for Toto, I was a big Steve Lukather fan and even bought his signature Ibanez guitar
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx