Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerts you have no memory of

Oh man... If I skip the fact of going to few local death metal bands, then I must say that I remember all of the concerts I've been to. I've never wanted to get drunk or high during the concert, because I came for the band. I can get wasted at home... I guess some may disagree with me when I look at others

[QUOTE=Dave the Brave;994908]Audience
    Cactus
    Rod Stewart
    Dec 9 1971 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens.

I actually went strictly to see Cactus.

Rod had recently released Every Picture Tells a Story.

Unfortunately I drank a bottle of rum (26oz) and basically passed out before Cactus came on.

Woke up in time for Rod's encore, proceeded to toss my cookies all over the guy sitting in front of me and made a hasty exit before he noticed.

I was at that show Dave, I only remember Audience, and I came to see Rod the Mod! worked out well!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Concert I’d like to forget I saw:

Journey - 1981

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Journey - 1981
    Wow. I saw them in 1980, and they were fantastic. Hard to believe they fell so far in a year. Pretty sure I saw them in 1981 too. It wasn't as good as '80, but I don't recall it being terrible.

Journey - 1981
    Really? I saw that tour and thought it was fantastic. Thin Lizzy opened. It was a killer double bill.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Really? I saw that tour and thought it was fantastic. Thin Lizzy opened. It was a killer double bill.
    I’m just not a Journey fan. I was in my fist year at SU and a friend and just wanted to see a show at the Carrier Dome. I’ve always been a little disappointed that this was my first concert - I think we missed the opener.

[QUOTE=adap2it;995956]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Audience
    Cactus
    Rod Stewart
    Dec 9 1971 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens.

I actually went strictly to see Cactus.

Rod had recently released Every Picture Tells a Story.

Unfortunately I drank a bottle of rum (26oz) and basically passed out before Cactus came on.

Woke up in time for Rod's encore, proceeded to toss my cookies all over the guy sitting in front of me and made a hasty exit before he noticed.

I was at that show Dave, I only remember Audience, and I came to see Rod the Mod! worked out well!
    Huge Cactus fan. Never saw them live. Obviously you didn’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to see Chicago in San Francisco in December of 1977, accompanied by my brother. Brother provided some smokable stuff and only told me after I was pretty well baked that it contained a certain amount of opium, which pissed me off (and is, largely, why I have never smoked the stuff since). I don't remember much of the show.

I do, however, remember Bobby Lamm saying that he was happy because it was the last night of the tour and they were going home.

A little over a month later, Terry Kath was dead.

So I saw the last Chicago concert with Terry Kath, and I remember almost nothing of it. Grrrr!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

From the early eighties concerts of my youth, even if I can't remember anything off the setlist I can usually remember at least what the stage looked like from where I was sitting. The only show I know I was at that I remember absolutely nothing from is UB40, either freshman or sophomore year of college. Actually there are two: the Psychedelic Furs, also from the same time period. No intoxicants at either show, just nothing anywhere in my brain.

Journey - 1981
    Chris de Burgh , got a free ticket from a radio station, we were seated first row in a 2000 seater , it was incredibly loud and after every song a couple of women hushed to the edge of the stage to put flowers in front of his feet. ... funny thing I had seem him in 77 as solo support act for Yes just with a 12 string which was not bad at all

I have kept a complete log of all my concerts, some I cant remember specifically, sometimes I remember fragments, some are just a blur. For example I saw Heart and Toto twice in the 80's but the two for each are blurred into one.

One I wished I'd never seen (and therefore no ùeùory of) is the Stevie Winwood/Level 42 at MLG in 86.

Not only was the opening Level 42 not good (but the audience came to see them), but Winwood was not very good either. He hardly used the Hammond organ on stage, despite its return on a couple of tracks on the High Life album - I can't even remember if they did Freedom Overspill - the only good track of that album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oh, another one. I saw Nektar in ... '77? '78? ... at the Berkeley Community Theater, with Dave Nelson on guitar. Good show. But the opening act was a German band called Lake. I'd never heard of them before, and all I really remember is that I was so bored that I was noticing the lead singer's barrel chest and excellent dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Oh, another one. I saw Nektar in ... '77? '78? ... at the Berkeley Community Theater, with Dave Nelson on guitar. Good show. But the opening act was a German band called Lake. I'd never heard of them before, and all I really remember is that I was so bored that I was noticing the lead singer's barrel chest and excellent dental work.
    Lakes first album had some pretty good song on it. After that I found their stuff inconsistent. I mist say that a recent discussion about who opened for gentle giant at the tower got me thinking about the fact that I don’t remember many of the opening acts for shows that I’ve been to. Couldn’t even tell you the names of the bands. I think there was a band called rainmaker that opened for Kansas back during their power tour but it’s very vague.

I was thinking about a show I saw at the Providence Civic center in the summer of 1974: Andy Pratt, PFM, and Loggins & Messina (headliner)

Andy Pratt was very good. "Avenging Annie" had been a recent hit. For a couple of numbers he used two bass players. First time I'd ever seen that. I was hoping he'd do his song about "Jaws," but no dice.
    PFM was utterly wonderful. I really thought after seeing them that they were going to be big.
    Loggins & Messina: no memory of their performance at all and I was completely sober. They must have been so bland they were not memorable.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I missed Steve Morse Kansas by about a week. While in the Navy stationed in the San Joaquin Valley, I went to Naval Air Station North Island for a detachment aboard the ship. Not long after I arrived, I found out Kansas performed on the base about a week prior. This would've been the last stop on the Power tour.
    Last edited by progmatist; 09-29-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

^ At least you know why you don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I missed Steve Morse Kansas by about a week. While in the Navy stationed in the San Joaquin Valley, I went to Naval Air Station North Island for a detachment aboard the ship. Not long after I arrived, I found out Kansas performed on the base about a week prior. This would've been the last stop on the Power tour.
    So, Kansas went the full Spinal Tap and played a military base, huh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Lakes first album had some pretty good song on it. After that I found their stuff inconsistent. I mist say that a recent discussion about who opened for gentle giant at the tower got me thinking about the fact that I don’t remember many of the opening acts for shows that I’ve been to. Couldn’t even tell you the names of the bands. I think there was a band called rainmaker that opened for Kansas back during their power tour but it’s very vague.
    Opening bands...I remember a glam metal band called Street Legal (I think) opening for Marillion the first time I saw them, on the Season's End tour.

I remember a really lame local punk band called Bluto's Revenge opening for Spinal Tap in 92.

I remember a band called Fear Factory, I think, opening for Kiss one of the times I saw them. Another time, they had Ted Nugent and Skid Row (minus Sebastian Bach) opening for them.

I remember Star People opening for Ozric Tentacles. Twice!

I remmeber The Lizards (with the same bass player as Star People) opening for Uli Jon Roth

I think it was The Heads (basically Talking Heads minus Byrne, but with the addition of Johnette Napolitano) opening for The Who in 96.

Hawkwind had a band called Space Core opening for them a couple times, another time it was Sosumi opening for them (both of those are local bands, btw), and I forget who opened for them in 97.

I remember ELP opening for Jethro Tull, and Steve Morse Band opening for The Dregs.

I remember Icarus Witch opening for Heaven And Hell, and I think, Whitesnake opening for Judas Priest.

Nektar had Caravan opening for them the second time I saw them, another time they had Huw Lloyd Langton and Brainticket opening for them (I would have seen Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash opening for them on yet another occasion, but they venue had booked Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash on numerous occasions, and I guess out of loyalty, refused to allow Martin's band to take the stage)

I saw Derek Trucks play a boring set before Eric Johnson one of the times I saw Eric.

Those are the only opening bands I can think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So, Kansas went the full Spinal Tap and played a military base, huh? lol
    If I remember my Kansas history correctly, one of their re-unions (can't remember which) came about due to a tour of military bases in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember ELP opening for Jethro Tull
    It was kind of sad seeing ELP relegated to support status towards the end of their career. But they were at least in good company: I've seen plenty of great bands opening for Tull over the years, among them Steeleye Span, Procol Harum, U.K., Starcastle, and of course Fairport Convention back when the two bands shared members. We didn't get the Jethro Tull bills with Yes or Gentle Giant in my neck of the woods, though.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I saw UK open for Tull also.
    The next year I saw Tull with Eddie Jobson on violin/keyboards, and Whitesnake opened. I have no memory of Whitesnake's performance except that it was too damn loud.

The next year I saw Tull with Eddie Jobson on violin/keyboards, and Whitesnake opened. I have no memory of Whitesnake's performance except that it was too damn loud.
    They were awful! I did want to hear Jon Lord, but his keyboards were completely lost in the wall of noise. I actually saw two shows on that tour, in San Diego and L.A., but traffic on the way to the latter show led us to conveniently miss Whitesnake's set.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I saw UK open for Tull also.
    I have a similar experience when I saw Uriah Heep open for Tull in 1978. Have no memory of the Heep's set other than "it was too damn loud"!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    They were awful! I did want to hear Jon Lord, but his keyboards were completely lost in the wall of noise. I actually saw two shows on that tour, in San Diego and L.A., but traffic on the way to the latter show led us to conveniently miss Whitesnake's set.
    The show I saw was great. I thought both bands kicked ass. It was my first time seeing both.