Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obscure and dated references in lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Genesis are a goldmine for this sort of thing. Knights of the green shield stamp and shout - Green Shield Stamps disappeared in 1991.
    Also from the same album....

I don't belong here, said old tessa out loud.
    Easy, love, there's the safe way home.
    Thankful for her fine fair discount, tess co-operates

Referencing four different supermarkets only two of which survive. Gabriel must have enjoyed retail!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Also from the same album....

I don't belong here, said old tessa out loud.
    Easy, love, there's the safe way home.
    Thankful for her fine fair discount, tess co-operates

Referencing four different supermarkets only two of which survive. Gabriel must have enjoyed retail!
    I remember when I first heard the album, I knew about the US store chain Safeway (though I think they were on the West Coast only, so I'm not sure why I knew the name). Somewhere along the line, I learned there was a store chain in the UK called Tesco's, but I didn't realize what Peter (or whichever band member it was who wrote that stanza) had done with the line "Tess co-operates" (i.e. combining the name of two different stores) until someone pointed it out a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Genesis are a goldmine for this sort of thing.
    While still an accurate and legit term used in ICE and government nomenclature, there is a movement to change the term in everyday use. Somehow I don't think this will be as catchy with "It's no fun being an undocumented worker...."

Over the border, there lies the promised land
    So don't tell anybody what I wanna do
    If they find out you know that they'll never let me through.
    It's no fun being an illegal alien...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I recognized Safeway and Tesco. What are the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I recognized Safeway and Tesco. What are the other two?
    Fine Fare and Co-Op. I found a reference to Home also being a supermarket, but I'm having a hard time confirming that.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

^^ There is BHS, which stands for British Home Stores and may be the one you are thinking of, although it wasn't a supermarket chain. It was around at the time these lyrics were written but has since gone to the great retail park in the sky, along with Safeway and Fine Fare.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    ^^ There is BHS, which stands for British Home Stores and may be the one you are thinking of, although it wasn't a supermarket chain. It was around at the time these lyrics were written but has since gone to the great retail park in the sky, along with Safeway and Fine Fare.
    I had to look that one up, because I recall a Top Gear episode where prog rock aficianado/car nut/idiot Jeremy Clarkson drove a Ford...oh I forget which model it was, it's the one that had the guitar amp built into the stereo (they had "a local guitarist", who bore an uncanny resemblance to Eric Clapton demonstrate it), anyway, he was being chased by, I think, a Corvette, through a shopping mall, I guess to demonstrate how good the new Ford's tires do on the smooth marble floors (and how poorly the Corvette did), and there's a bit where they basically trash a BHS. "The Corvette is stuck in British Home Stores!", Jeremy bellows.