Thread: Eddie Jobson To Release “EDDIE JOBSON – LIVE” New Double CD

Eddie Jobson To Release “EDDIE JOBSON – LIVE” New Double CD

Musicians’ musician and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Eddie Jobson, best known for his virtuosic violin and keyboard work with Roxy Music, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and supergroup UK, brings us a compilation of live performances from Poland, Russia, Japan and the U.S.A. with his all-star ‘U-Z Project.’

Jobson’s live concert recordings feature guest musicians Marc Bonilla, Alex Machacek, Marco Minnemann, Mike Mangini, Greg Howe, Simon Phillips, Trey Gunn, TJ Helmerich, Billy Sheehan, Ric Fierabracci, Tony Levin and special guest appearances by John Wetton.

The twenty-one tracks include:

Alaska (UK) - Perm, Russia
    The Only Thing She Needs (UK) - Los Angeles, USA
    Awakening (Mahavishnu Orchestra) - Boston, USA
    Nevermore (UK) - Tokyo, Japan
    Rendezvous 6:02 (UK) - Tokyo, Japan
    Theme of Secrets (Jobson) - Bydgoszcz, Poland
    In The Dead of Night (UK) - Tokyo, Japan
    Presto Vivace (UK)- Tokyo, Japan
    Bitches Crystal (ELP) - Los Angeles, USA
    Red (King Crimson) - Perm, Russia
    Starless (King Crimson) - Tokyo, Japan
    Caesar’s Palace Blues (UK) - Tokyo, Japan
    Forever Until Sunday (Bruford) - Tokyo, Japan
    Carrying No Cross (UK) - Krakow, Poland

Released August 28, 2020

To pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Jobson-...B08DDSD3LH/ref

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 1-828-350-8158, glassonyonpr@gmail.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Googling around leads me to guess that the Bitches Crystal might be from this?
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/prog/...83167198559867

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening to this for the first time. I think this is the U-Z Project stuff that, if I remember correctly, had a limited release in Japan way back, but Eddie wasn't happy with the sound quality, so never released it on an American or European label, until 2020. It's on Globe Music (his label I believe), and...the sound quality SUCKS! How could the sound have gotten so screwed up (on multiple nights and in different countries)? It's still interesting to listen to, but I don't think Eddie was able to improve the sound at all. Also, Wetton's vocals sound atrocious! The sound quality makes them even worse. They're distorted! But also out of tune or something. I think this was back before Wetton had triumphed over alcoholism, and his performances then were suffering. Strangely, there don't seem to be any recording dates supplied.

Has anyone read anything from Jobson explaining this release? Maybe since people wanted to hear it, he just decided to release it, warts (huge warts) and all. But it should have a warning label on the packaging or something. A shame that this is all there is from these shows.

If I remember correctly it was Jobson's choice to let it sound like this. He wanted to create the sound of a live-recording as if you were in the concert-hall, so no studio-trickery afterwards.
    During the Eddie Jobson-forum-days I had some discussions with him and members: I wrote that I thought the drums were recorded in the toilet. Maybe he did some remastering, but I guess when the source isn't good, you can't do a lot to improve the sound.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    If I remember correctly it was Jobson's choice to let it sound like this. He wanted to create the sound of a live-recording as if you were in the concert-hall, so no studio-trickery afterwards.
    During the Eddie Jobson-forum-days I had some discussions with him and members: I wrote that I thought the drums were recorded in the toilet. Maybe he did some remastering, but I guess when the source isn't good, you can't do a lot to improve the sound.
    This reminds me of that character Matt Foley used to do, who said so many things in air quotes:

Ok, maybe this concert recording doesn't "sound good."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    At a couple of the Jobson shows I attended, some crew guys came out before the show and mounted what looked like little portable recorders or cameras on stands at the front of the stage. When "Reunion" came out, the sound was so disappointing, I wondered if those little gadgets were what were used for the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    He said something along those lines about the UK Reunion DVD for sure. Based on the shrill sound I heard, it felt more like some sort of aliasing error, or digital clipping even.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listening to this for the first time. I think this is the U-Z Project stuff that, if I remember correctly, had a limited release in Japan way back, but Eddie wasn't happy with the sound quality, so never released it on an American or European label, until 2020. It's on Globe Music (his label I believe), and...the sound quality SUCKS! How could the sound have gotten so screwed up (on multiple nights and in different countries)? It's still interesting to listen to, but I don't think Eddie was able to improve the sound at all. Also, Wetton's vocals sound atrocious! The sound quality makes them even worse. They're distorted! But also out of tune or something. I think this was back before Wetton had triumphed over alcoholism, and his performances then were suffering. Strangely, there don't seem to be any recording dates supplied.

Has anyone read anything from Jobson explaining this release? Maybe since people wanted to hear it, he just decided to release it, warts (huge warts) and all. But it should have a warning label on the packaging or something. A shame that this is all there is from these shows.
    Ive seen him three times, and his show ALWAYS has some kind of wildly outrageous fuck-ups! His equipment always goes on the fritz. For someone so involved with technology I've never been able to understand how the shit always seems to hit the fan during his shows.