Thread: Tal Wilkenfeld & Vinnie Colaiuta

Tal Wilkenfeld & Vinnie Colaiuta

Right now my favourite rhythm section. I am big fan of Vinnie Colaiuta, I saw him on the 79 tour with Zappa but back then he was just one of the band members for me and I didn't realize what a great drummer he was/ is. So I was going through some concert videos and one where both Tal and Vinnie were invited by Dweezil Z and I was fascinated by their complicity btw most of the time she played back to the audience fronting Colaiuta. Then I saw the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts which is another amazing showpiece of their efficient side (wo)menliness.
    And the video above from a Herbie Hancock concert at Montreux eqally fascinating. I haven't listened to her new record yet but I am quite curious.

https://youtu.be/BSzmqctLuVM
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Great stuff, that was 10 years ago though, does she even play the bass anymore? Tal seems to have become very generic; singer songwriter-ish which leaves me cold sadly.

Here she is opening for The Who less than 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Great stuff, that was 10 years ago though, does she even play the bass anymore? Tal seems to have become very generic; singer songwriter-ish which leaves me cold sadly.
    I saw her a while back. She does play the bass, and plays it very well, of course - some sort of odd hollow-bodied four-string. She and her band stretch out on those songs live, so you still get a sense of her as a first-rate player.

I saw them both with Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall, quite a while back now, it was an absolute masterclass. We even had a Dave Gilmour joining for the encore, quite a special night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I saw them both with Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall, quite a while back now, it was an absolute masterclass. We even had a Dave Gilmour joining for the encore, quite a special night.
    I don't get Gilmour (you bastard!! ), but I did see the Beck group with Tal, Vinnie & Jason Rebello at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 2009, reviewed here. the same week Van der Graaf Generator gave an amazing show at the festival, reviewed here.

Note, a system disaster some time ago lost a great many photos that were on the site, so my images from these shows are no longer there (but the subtitles are... <sigh>).

So, here are a few images from each show:

6cac514eb7b4d5dc8c887acfbaef6.jpg

ff46f7ca8c99a3236a86c2dd2ad88.jpg

cd5b58c7522426616fe104a1bb642.jpg
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

On Jeff Beck's Ronnie Scott's Blu-Ray, Tal looks like she must have been all of 14, but held down the bottom like the best of them. Causes me to ponder my wasted youth.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Tal is a great bass player. She was terrific with Jeff Beck and her first solo album was very good as well.
    The singer songwriter thing isn't for me in her case.

Started listening to an interesting series of podcasts by Vinnie Colaiuta
    https://breakfastwithvinnie.com