Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FM Reissues: Black Noise and Direct To Disc

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sweet- now pester them to do Fireballet!!
    Yes!!!!!!!!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Just listened to DtD again and I agree it sounds great without much compression. Tonality is similar the vinyl but without all the cracks and pops mine has

Yes a well done vinyl transfer when done from virgin vinyl without noise reduction can sound excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Wasn't Laser's Edge trying to do Fireballet?
    Yeah, think you're right... I remember a couple of the band guys were fired up for it and then it seemed to fall apart.

I gotta say, I'm very happy, never heard D2D before until last Saturday when I received my copy, I was floored when I played in the stereo for the first time, the intensity, the crisp perfect sound, it's my favorite release of the year so far...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yeah, think you're right... I remember a couple of the band guys were fired up for it and then it seemed to fall apart.
    Not sure the label, but Doug Larson Imports has it on a Swedish label: http://www.douglarsonimports.com/fir...bald-mountain/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Not sure the label, but Doug Larson Imports has it on a Swedish label: http://www.douglarsonimports.com/fir...bald-mountain/
    Flawed Gems is a bootleg label.

Although I am friendly with Jim Cuomo I never had any plans or discussions to reissue Fireballet.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Although I am friendly with Jim Cuomo I never had any plans or discussions to reissue Fireballet.
    Thanks for the clarification, I really couldn't remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Flawed Gems is a bootleg label.

As it names amost plainly indicates...

================

How are the booklets on these reissues??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

booklets reproduce all the original vinyl liner notes, and have informative interviews/write-ups.

I tried to order 6 CDs from Cherry Red and the shipping came out to 32 pounds!
    I'll wait till I can get all these domestically as that's ridiculous.
    I have Black Noise, Surveillance and Retroactive on CD anyway, but dying to hear D2D.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I tried to order 6 CDs from Cherry Red and the shipping came out to 32 pounds!
    I'll wait till I can get all these domestically as that's ridiculous.
    I have Black Noise, Surveillance and Retroactive on CD anyway, but dying to hear D2D.
    If you already have Surveillance on cd then it's a boot. Hasn't been officially released before.

direct comparison of Black Noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel3 View Post
    FINALLY we get to hear the Canadian trio on CD for the first time from the master tapes, and it sounds terrific. UPS dropped the package off just before the bad weather hit, and it was perfect music to listen to on a rainy afternoon. Talk about bringing back memories! Black Noise sounds better than ever having been finally released using the original master tapes. The power prog trio many of us loved finally get two releases that not only bring back the classic albums, but bring them back sounding better than ever. Esoteric once again gets it right by releasing two beloved classics. Direct to Disc sounds phenomenal, although my only complaint lie in the 31 minute running time of the original album (I wish we could have had some outtakes or bonus tracks). Black Noise is vastly superior than the original One-Way records release. If you're thinking about getting these, don't hesitate because they are well worth it, (despite the slight mark-up on Amazon for an import).

How's this...short, sweet and to the point...and I'm not even tripping over myself gushing?

A nice mid-week surprise. Now all I have to do is wait for next month's forthcoming Surveillance and City of Fear re-releases and I can finally rest easy after waiting for these albums get released on CD since about 1985!
    Not trying to be a dick about this, but have you done a direct comparison of the Black Noise CD's? It's a given that I'm going to purchase the other three discs, but I have the CD release of Black Noise on NSH, and I have a vinyl rip that I did of the album about ten years ago when I was doing vinyl rips of the other unrealeased albums. My vinyl rips are hardly audiophile quality, but I don't mind the sound of a needle hitting vinyl or a bit of crackle and hiss here and there.

BTW why didn't they use the alternate version of the B side of the album, the one that appeared on the Headroom titled version of the album, as a "bonus" track? I've never heard the alternate version, but some sources indicate that the differences are substantial enough to make the idea of a bonus like that not completely absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Francis View Post
    BTW why didn't they use the alternate version of the B side of the album, the one that appeared on the Headroom titled version of the album, as a "bonus" track? I've never heard the alternate version, but some sources indicate that the differences are substantial enough to make the idea of a bonus like that not completely absurd.
    FWIW, there were two alternate takes of side B (B1 & B2) that were released in addition to the one used on most releases (B4). I have not heard B1 or B2 in a while, but from what I remember one of them is almost identical to take 4, while the other one has a more spacey end.

I saw the the first 2 on Amazon and Gary at the Artist Shop will have them all shortly. Still a little spendy but Surveillance is a must for me.

Back in the early 90s I was listening to the Stone Trek prog radio show on KOME in San Jose. Greg Stone played an FM song that started out "I am on the outside looking down upon the Earth." Can someone tell me which song that is and which album it is on?

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Back in the early 90s I was listening to the Stone Trek prog radio show on KOME in San Jose. Greg Stone played an FM song that started out "I am on the outside looking down upon the Earth." Can someone tell me which song that is and which album it is on?
    "Horizons" from the Surveillance album.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Horizons, form their 1979 album Surveillance. The song starts around the one minute thirty five mark of the following video.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I just got Direct to Disc and it sounds great. I kind of think though that it's probably a vinyl transfer. No where in the credits does it mention tapes.
    Considering, as the title indicates, this was an in-the-studio-straight-to-disc-cutter recording, I imagine there were no master tapes.

I was always disappointed by this album musically. I expected it to be the most progressive album they ever made, but it just turned out to be a half-hours worth of jamming. Nothing they did ever came close to Black Noise qualitatively.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Glad All Over”-Grits/Rare Birds

Banned
    is this fm band with steve overland on vocals by chance

Quote Originally Posted by Smartmind View Post
    is this fm band with steve overland on vocals by chance
    No, Steve Overland sang for the British AOR/Pop band also known as FM UK founded in the mid-1980s. The FM on this thread is a Canadian progressive rock band founded in the mid 1970s.

The vocals from the Canadian FM were mostly done by their keyboard and bass player Cameron Hawkins.
    Last edited by enpdllp; 03-10-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Incredible video from 1981 opening for Rush

Thanks for that video. I saw them a few months before that show (January 1981) opening for Saga and both bands were outstanding.

Does anybody knows if there are any complete shows from that era out there? The only complete show that I have heard is one from the Surveillance tour (Buffalo, NY).

Thanks progmeister and enpdllp. I will definitely have to pick up Surveillance.