Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to treat myself to a prog box set .........

I'd like to treat myself to a prog box set .........

I've a birthday just about to come up & I'd like to treat myself to a prog box set to enjoy on the day & later on. Trouble is I can't find anything on the lists of best box sets that I want.

I've ruled out The Later Years from Pink Floyd because of repetition. I already have box sets from the Moody Blues, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes, Cat Stevens, Beachboys, Monkees & similar ........... so you get the idea of my tastes. Renaissance, Camel, something like that would be nice. At least 3 Cds to explore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    BBTPatron

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gentle Giant's Unburied Treasure!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Magma - Konzert Zund?

Still on my wishlist.

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Retrospective I?

There’s a very nice box set of The Pentangle's albums 1968-1972 - if you don’t know the band, listen to some first. Progressive folk with jazz chops, basically, featuring two of the finest acoustic guitarists Britain ever gave us in John Renbourn and Bert Jansch. Vocals are a mixture of John and Bert’s fairly standard “constipated gurning folky” efforts and the beautiful crystalline voice of Jacqui McShee.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Stick Men w/David Cross - Panamerica

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I've a birthday just about to come up & I'd like to treat myself to a prog box set to enjoy on the day & later on. Trouble is I can't find anything on the lists of best box sets that I want.

I've ruled out The Later Years from Pink Floyd because of repetition. I already have box sets from the Moody Blues, Electric Light Orchestra, Yes, Cat Stevens, Beachboys, Monkees & similar ........... so you get the idea of my tastes. Renaissance, Camel, something like that would be nice. At least 3 Cds to explore.

If you want to really splurge and treat yourself to a 17 CD compilation, how about the Iona box set that was discussed in a recent thread? It was supposed to be available earlier this month.

If you don't have most of the individual Caravan discs already, this looks like it has all the great stuff.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=31637

^There was this box which had all their Decca/Deram work. Which of course excludes their Verve debut, but that's still available cheaply anyway.

https://www.discogs.com/Caravan-The-...lease/13958942

It seems to be just a repackage of old releases with nothing new, but as a one-stop shop it's good, I guess.

Tangerine Dream
    In Search Of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973-1979

Gong
    Love from Planet Gong

The Robert Wyatt box set is my favorite. Maybe slightly out of your comfort zone but it contains such an incredible diversity in styles and moods that I think it has something for everybody.

Officially sold out but you can easily find it on Discogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    There’s a very nice box set of The Pentangle's albums 1968-1972 - if you don’t know the band, listen to some first. Progressive folk with jazz chops, basically, featuring two of the finest acoustic guitarists Britain ever gave us in John Renbourn and Bert Jansch. Vocals are a mixture of John and Bert’s fairly standard “constipated gurning folky” efforts and the beautiful crystalline voice of Jacqui McShee.
    Second that,
    one of my favourite boxsets easily to be made into a double treat with the recently released John Renbourn set.

Steve Hillage ‎– Searching For The Spark

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I would be interested in this one. Time for an early Christmas pressie, methinks!

Is the KC Great Deceiver box still available? That's a desert island set IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Is the KC Great Deceiver box still available? That's a desert island set IMO.
    DGM did reissue it a while back, but in a different design. The original was reprinted briefly as well but last I looked was gone again. The "Starless" and "Road to Red" sets (reissued last year) supersede "G.D.", but are obviously quite pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not finding that currently available anywhere, annoyingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Not finding that currently available anywhere, annoyingly.
    Did you try e-mailing Leonardo at noanoamusic@moonjune.com to see if there are any left? They were selling the copies that were intended for the cancelled cruise.

Most of the recommendations don't really fit your tastes (=melodic, symphonic music) I guess.
    Although not available for good prices I'd like to recommend Premonitions from Steve Hackett

Steve Hackett, I think that's what I am looking for. Heard Please Don't Touch but don't own it. He has a rich catalogue, it's time I explored it. Thanks for all the recommendations.
    BBTPatron

Renaissance, Camel, something like that would be nice. At least 3 Cds to explore.

Has there ever been a good or complete Camel box? I picked up that Caravan box that had their Deram catalog a few months back and quite enjoyed that one.

Steve Hackett, I think that's what I am looking for. Heard Please Don't Touch but don't own it. He has a rich catalogue, it's time I explored it. Thanks for all the recommendations.
    By far his best album in my humble opinion.

The two tracks with Richie Havens made me wish he'd done an entire album with him.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    By far his best album in my humble opinion.
    What other ones do you rate please?
    BBTPatron

There's one of those budget 5 Classic Albums sets for Hackett, with his first four Charisma albums and the sixth, Highly Strung. There's no bonus tracks but these were mainly live tracks anyway (which I like having).