Thread: Five-Storey Ensemble - Not that City

Five-Storey Ensemble - Not that City

Got the album yesterday and gave it two spins so far. Here are my first impressions.

Five-Storey Ensemble is the band centrered around Olga Podkaiskaya and Vitaly Appov that arose from the ashes of Belarussian band Rational Diet. Cyrill Kristia still plays violin on a couple of tracks but didn't compose any.

The music is certainly more controlled and composed then Rationel Diet. Maybe 'restrained' is the correct word. On a first listen I miss that eclectic and intense side that characterized Rational Diet. That doesn't mean that this album is more accesible. Far from it; this is dense and very avant-gardish stuff. It will take many spins to fully absorb this and to asses how this holds up to the earlier stuff.

Joost

Thanks for turning me onto this!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looking forward to this one once it makes it Stateside. So with this & The Arches have Rational Diet's parts become great than the whole?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Looking forward to this one once it makes it Stateside. So with this & The Arches have Rational Diet's parts become great than the whole?
    Looks that way. I think Cyrill Kristia has taken the rockier part of RD with him to the arches. ON facebook the name of his band changed to "archestra' btw.

Five-Storey ensemble is certainly different then RD. Not really rock anymore. It's modern avant-garde chamber music. I am at the moment totally amazed by the song "Amid The Smoke And Different Questions". Completely weird but with a demonic attraction.

I can add to Joost remarks that the music is more melodic and more refined...the voice of Olga still remain a distinguishing feature...without it it's not the same.
    But I think with this project Olga and Vitaly have managed to achieve something magical different than RD but still recognizable.

Marcello - When do these land in the USA?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just found a live recording of my current favorite song of the album on youtube. Absolutely awesome!
    God, I would love to see this band live.

They are playing Gouveia Festival in Portugal.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Marcello - When do these land in the USA?
    next week

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I listened to samples from both (The Arches & FSE) and I know I liked one more than the other but I can't remember which.

Needless to say, both were enjoyable though. If the disbanding of RD results in two bands of the same caliber I'm all for it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Arrived in Wayside

Ordered!!
    Ian

Anyone else has heard this yet?

I think this is a good album, very good even, but not 'great'.

There are a couple of songs that don't quite work for me; especially the two duets 'The incommunication' and 'Yesterday dormant'.The lyrics are probably very good, but musically they dont grab me at all. On the other hand the highs are very high. I am especially fond of the last two tracks, which are simply magic.

I think the potential for a masterpiece is there but not quite on this album yet.

I just listened to this last night and really enjoyed it

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...%20That%20City. It's at Progstreaming since this morning.