Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tears for Fears - Seeds of Love with SW 5.1 Remix

Banned

Tears for Fears - Seeds of Love with SW 5.1 Remix

Banned
    ^^^

This looks very promising. Some great stuff on that album and it should really sound good given this treatment.

However, I add this album to the "bad opening tracks" thread as there is no way that "Woman In Chains" should have been the first cut on this album. I would have opened with the title cut, which is what they did on their greatest hit album "Tears Roll Down".

Very cool. Would love to hear this in 5.1. Probably my favorite TFF album overall, even if it doesn't contain my favorite song by them.

This album is a real gem. I remember spinning this in the all-CD music store I worked in back in Virginia Beach when it was released. Until that day, I never really rated Tears For Fears. I respected their talent, and their albums were great, but I just didn't really click with them. That Seeds album opened my eyes to give them a serious listen.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Ember
    Apparently SW did this work back in 2015, and it's only now being released.

I'm in, even at the unusually high price. This album has been in my permanent rotation since it came out.

My wife & I's wedding song.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sary View Post
    My wife & I's wedding song.
    Woman in Chains?

Banned
    All songs are good, but my fav is Bad Man’s Song which features Oletta Adams on piano and a super goosebump raising soulful vocal. This Knebworth show captures it:

That right there is some of the best progressive pop of the 80's (or since for that matter).
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Some might be interested in this quote from when I interviewed Steven Wilson a couple of years ago and brought up the Seeds of Love:

Question: In the world of your remixing: has there ever been a time where you love the album but you just don’t think that there’s anything you could contribute to a remix? Like when you get a Sowing the Seeds of Love kind of album up in the queue, do you look at it and say…

Steven Wilson: Absolutely. That’s a good case in point, but I think the point there is that I was asked to do a surround mix and no one had ever done a surround mix before. But doing a new stereo mix for that record is pointless, pointless! There’s no way I can ever match up to that original stereo mix and so I didn’t. I did a surround mix and I didn’t even deliver a new stereo mix. Because I’d be on a hiding to nothing, quite rightfully so. The fans would listen to my mix and give me a good kicking. But there the difference is that no one had ever done a surround mix before. So I can do something different with it. There are certainly cases where, for example, I did Rush’s “Farewell to Kings” last year as well and I didn’t deliver a stereo mix because it’s pointless. The stereo mix is perfect as it is. So I only delivered a surround mix. And there are certainly examples where I’ll say to the management or the record company, “Look, I can’t match the original stereo mix. I’m not even going to give you a new stereo mix. I’ll just give you the surround mix.” But there are other times when I feel I can give another perspective on an album with a new stereo mix or perhaps create higher degree of clarity. And so I think it’s definitely a question I ask myself when I do a mix. It’s, “should I even think about delivering a new stereo mix or is the original mix impossible to create any new perspective or improve at all?”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Some might be interested in this quote from when I interviewed Steven Wilson a couple of years ago and brought up the Seeds of Love:

Question: In the world of your remixing: has there ever been a time where you love the album but you just don’t think that there’s anything you could contribute to a remix? Like when you get a Sowing the Seeds of Love kind of album up in the queue, do you look at it and say…

Steven Wilson: Absolutely. That’s a good case in point, but I think the point there is that I was asked to do a surround mix and no one had ever done a surround mix before. But doing a new stereo mix for that record is pointless, pointless! There’s no way I can ever match up to that original stereo mix and so I didn’t.
    Well of course, but the technology used for the Seeds of Love original stereo is way above what was used for classic Prog. Note however there is a new remaster of the original SOL mix done at Abbey Roads studio. AR studios just went through an overhaul to support the Sgt Peppers effort which resulted in a Dolby Atmos remix which is phenomenal. Even better is the AR Atmos remix of AR by Giles Martin. I listened to that in 5.1 without the Atmos channels and it sounded great. I wonder why the drums and bass on that AR remix sounds so uncompressed compared to the SW remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post

Steven Wilson: Absolutely. That’s a good case in point, but I think the point there is that I was asked to do a surround mix and no one had ever done a surround mix before. But doing a new stereo mix for that record is pointless, pointless! There’s no way I can ever match up to that original stereo mix and so I didn’t. I did a surround mix and I didn’t even deliver a new stereo mix. Because I’d be on a hiding to nothing, quite rightfully so. The fans would listen to my mix and give me a good kicking. But there the difference is that no one had ever done a surround mix before. So I can do something different with it. There are certainly cases where, for example, I did Rush’s “Farewell to Kings” last year as well and I didn’t deliver a stereo mix because it’s pointless. The stereo mix is perfect as it is. So I only delivered a surround mix. And there are certainly examples where I’ll say to the management or the record company, “Look, I can’t match the original stereo mix. I’m not even going to give you a new stereo mix. I’ll just give you the surround mix.” But there are other times when I feel I can give another perspective on an album with a new stereo mix or perhaps create higher degree of clarity. And so I think it’s definitely a question I ask myself when I do a mix. It’s, “should I even think about delivering a new stereo mix or is the original mix impossible to create any new perspective or improve at all?”
    Link? I am sure I can get a few dozen clicks for this today from the TFF fandom.

If anyone is on the fence with this box set, make up your mind soon. The first two sets sold out and went for huge money on the secondary markets.

A shame they didn't see fit to include the Santa Barbara 1990 concert on the blu-ray - I've got the DVD, but would love to have an HD upgrade of it. --Peter

Ember
    Was that shot on film? It's been a while since I've seen it, but my recollection is of a show shot with SD video cameras, meaning of course that no HD remaster is possible.

Probably shot on video, certain with video effected added in. I can understand it wouldn't be full HD, but I'm sure a higher encode would yield better P/Q over the existing DVD. --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Woman in Chains?
    The first question that popped in my head as well, ;-)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    If anyone is on the fence with this box set, make up your mind soon. The first two sets sold out and went for huge money on the secondary markets.
    The strange thing with those two box sets is that they were re-released in March this year. The Songs From The Big Chair went well I believe, but The Hurting was impossible to get and indeed now selling for idiot prices.
    See: https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...inyl-pic-disc/

I'm one of the few here that lost interest in the band with their third album. Not because they weren't becoming a better band, but because they lost their own voice in my ears.
    So no box set for me (and I have the first run of Songs.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The strange thing with those two box sets is that they were re-released in March this year. The Songs From The Big Chair went well I believe, but The Hurting was impossible to get and indeed now selling for idiot prices.
    See: https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...inyl-pic-disc/

I'm one of the few here that lost interest in the band with their third album. Not because they weren't becoming a better band, but because they lost their own voice in my ears.
    So no box set for me (and I have the first run of Songs.
    Fans went crazy when Seeds box went up for pre-sale. I haven't opened my Hurting of Big Chair boxes. I'm planning on a nice couple of weeks where I delve into these boxes to enjoy their full quality once Seeds arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    However, I add this album to the "bad opening tracks" thread as there is no way that "Woman In Chains" should have been the first cut on this album. I would have opened with the title cut, which is what they did on their greatest hit album "Tears Roll Down".
    It's always amazing to me how two different sets of ears hear things so differently. For me, "Woman in Chains" is a terrific opener, and I think placing the title track a couple songs down the list only make it more dramatic when it comes.

Just an observation. I suspect that, as is most often the case, a lot of time and effort was put into establishing the sequencing of tracks that finally ended up as it did. Yes, different sets of ears may well hear an entirely different story told, when placing an album's tracks into an alternate sequence. But for me, I tend to accept the narrative being told by placing albums in the order they are as being as much the artists' intent as the songs themselves.

A terrific example is ECM Records. Almost all of the label's output (even more than the number he produced) is sequenced by label head/producer Manfred Eicher. And with such a large number of recordings on the label, I've come to trust Eicher to go beyond the individual tracks to make each album something best absorbed as a whole, rather than as a discrete collection of tracks. And while he sometimes makes very unusual choices when opening an album, with time it becomes clear that his was, indeed, the right choice.

Sorry for the tangential thing here, but for me, the ordering of tracks really is as important as the tracks themselves, especially if you're a luddite like me who almost never listens to individual tracks - or uses shuffle, for that matter; the only time I use that feature is if I specifically want to hear some things I haven't heard in awhile, and so using shuffle means random tracks will pop up. But that's rare. More often than not I want to hear albums from start to finish, ideally without interruption. And given the amount of effort most artists put into track order, I guess I just accept that this is the correct order.

That is, of course, just me and I'm in no way suggesting that those who disagree are wrong. SunRunner would rather hear the album start with the title track and hear "Woman in Chains" somewhere else on the album. Me? I can't imagine it any way other than as it is.

Viva la difference!!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

Sorry for the tangential thing here, but for me, the ordering of tracks really is as important as the tracks themselves, especially if you're a luddite like me who almost never listens to individual tracks - or uses shuffle, for that matter; the only time I use that feature is if I specifically want to hear some things I haven't heard in awhile, and so using shuffle means random tracks will pop up. But that's rare. More often than not I want to hear albums from start to finish, ideally without interruption. And given the amount of effort most artists put into track order, I guess I just accept that this is the correct order.

That is, of course, just me and I'm in no way suggesting that those who disagree are wrong. SunRunner would rather hear the album start with the title track and hear "Woman in Chains" somewhere else on the album. Me? I can't imagine it any way other than as it is.

Viva la difference!!
    Interesting synopsis of how you view the album and the track ordering aspect. "Woman In Chains" is a slow, emotive, down tempo cut and is an unusual one for TFF as it is. To me, it's one of my least favorite tracks of theirs and therefore I can't call it a good opener for an album that is this powerful and dynamic. I, unlike many listeners, primarily just play various tracks from albums as opposed to listening all the way through. So, it's not an issue for me that it is the opener. However, if it is looked at from a full play aspect, I would bury it halfway in the sequence as sort of a transitional cut between what used to be record "sides". I am using the criteria that was discussed in the threads which focused on opening tracks, good or not so good. The emphasis there was how the individual tracks "flowed" through the entire album.

Link? I am sure I can get a few dozen clicks for this today from the TFF fandom.
    https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...steven-wilson/

Your access to this site was blocked by Wordfence, a security provider, who protects sites from malicious activity.

Some users are getting this when trying to access the interview.

Banned
    Your access to this site was blocked by Wordfence, a security provider, who protects sites from malicious activity.

Some users are getting this when trying to access the interview.
    I have no problem with this link using Safari with an IPhone.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...inyl-pic-disc/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I have no problem with this link using Safari with an IPhone.

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...inyl-pic-disc/
    There is another link which directs to this one, but I went direct and it worked.