Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiromi

Hiromi

I've been off in jazz land for a while, and Hiromi has been a major discovery. She's an incredible pianist and utterly frenetic in performance. Here are a few live performances to give you something to chew on during quarantine.

First up, her Trio Project, featuring Anthony Jackson on contrabass guitar, and Steve Smith on drums. (She records with Simon Philips on drums; videos are available with him in the trio as well.)

Duet with Chick Corea.

Collaborative performance with Hiromi and tap dancer Kazunori Kumagai. Really amazing to see them improv together.

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Hiromi is wonderful! Thanks for sharing those vids. Such a talented musician and performer. I've got a few of her CDs, but still want to get the rest.

Good to hear from you.

Her sonic bloom is quite good also. I saw the trio project a few years ago. I’ve got most of her stuff but still missing a few excluding her masters solo piano album. Some like to compare her to Keith Emerson which she has some of his style in her. Great musician and great live also.

I have only heard Another Mind which I found a bit to showy for my tastes. Is this pretty representative of her work?

I like this one for Steve Smith's drum solo which is so good it's ridiculous!

I reckon many here adore this outrageously talented pianist's ability. I have around 6 or 7 albums, which means I need more Hiromi.

Quote Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
    I have only heard Another Mind which I found a bit to showy for my tastes. Is this pretty representative of her work?
    I haven't heard Another Mind, so I can't compare. She is a very high-energy performer; she uses the quieter pieces only as a change of pace. The festival performance above is roughly comparable to the Trio Project's studio recordings. She did a duet album with Chick Corea, so the Hiromi & Corea video above is typical of that recording. Her solo piano recordings fall somewhere in between, but her Rhapsody in Blue variations with the tap dancer give a flavor of her solo studio work.

Basically, if you're looking for understated jazz, you won't find it with Hiromi. She puts her passion, and her amazing technical chops, front and center.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I reckon many here adore this outrageously talented pianist's ability. I have around 6 or 7 albums, which means I need more Hiromi.
    This. I don't have her early albums yet (Another Mind, Brain, Spiral). Those are a different trio than the later Trio Project. When I have them all, I'll still need more.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    This. I don't have her early albums yet (Another Mind, Brain, Spiral). Those are a different trio than the later Trio Project. When I have them all, I'll still need more.
    This is the opening track on Brain, which she writes "is for Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan."

Tony Grey on bass, Martin Valihora on drums. This upload is incomplete, but that's why you get the albums.

Obligatory posting of one of my favorite performances of all time ( yes, all time )
    I saw this line up a couple of times. Pure magic.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I've seen her a number of times with WideOpenEars, and have a good number of her albums. Saw her with The Stanley Clarke Band as well. So much talent and joy.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

I like this one for Steve Smith's drum solo which is so good it's ridiculous!
    Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed it!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm definiltely a fan. I only own one CD (with a picture of her on the cover).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

She’s incredibly talented and a Prog fan’s dream as a wizard on the keys. I do find a good portion of her recorded work tedious and not something I come back to much. It’s great for threads like this, where you hear a track and see her energy and get excited, but a little goes a long way. Perhaps she is not unlike Keith Jarrett in this regard.

By FAR the albums I get the most mileage from are the two Sonicbloom sessions. You still get the best of Hiromi, but the music is less about showcasing her talent and more of a group setting where the synergy of the group becomes greater than the sum of its parts. I’d like to see more releases like this.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I’m not very knowledgeable on her career, but I have picked up more than a few CDs down the years, both solo and Sonicbloom, and like them a great deal. I would love the opportunity to see her perform one of these days.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    She’s incredibly talented and a Prog fan’s dream as a wizard on the keys. I do find a good portion of her recorded work tedious and not something I come back to much. It’s great for threads like this, where you hear a track and see her energy and get excited, but a little goes a long way. Perhaps she is not unlike Keith Jarrett in this regard.

By FAR the albums I get the most mileage from are the two Sonicbloom sessions. You still get the best of Hiromi, but the music is less about showcasing her talent and more of a group setting where the synergy of the group becomes greater than the sum of its parts. I’d like to see more releases like this.
    I'm in the same place, I enjoy when a track comes up in rotation but I rarely listen to a full album, I have Voice & Move.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have most of her stuff, maybe all of it...seen her many times, but never enough. Love the Sonic Bloom project the most..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The woman has mad skills. Here she is going absolutely nuts on a solo. Kneeling on the bench, jumping up and down, playing with her elbows...

And one of my favorite jazz pieces, but very proggy just the same, is this one...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice clips - she is really mad talented!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Have you ever thought of comparing Hiromi and Tigran ?
    Apples to oranges ?

I've been a fan since her first album.

Seen her live a couple of times.

To say she has major chops, sounds like a massive understatement.

I own everything she has release, except "Beyond Standard". I am just so tired of "standards" releases by modern players. Especially since I don't consider any of what are commonly known as "standards", as my set of standards.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    She’s incredibly talented and a Prog fan’s dream as a wizard on the keys. I do find a good portion of her recorded work tedious and not something I come back to much.
    I agree.

Next to someone like Satoko Fujii I find a major bulk of Hiromi's output almost bland.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Apples to oranges ?
    Apples and oranges, pretty much. Tigran is an interesting composer and pianist, though; thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree.

Next to someone like Satoko Fujii I find a major bulk of Hiromi's output almost bland.
    Apples and kiwis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Apples to oranges ?
    Maybe a Jello match.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!