Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson on current Yes lineup

I really don't care what Anderson says anymore. Yes are the current line up, they have plans and contracts for next year, Jon A's not coming back period. That's it. Finished. Done. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I really don't care what Anderson says anymore. Yes are the current line up, they have plans and contracts for next year, Jon A's not coming back period. That's it. Finished. Done. The End.
    Agreed. He clearly wants to be in a band that is called Yes, though. I know he is just answering the question (over and over), but one would think he would move on.

I switched the video off after hearing him say the things that got this conversation rolling. I love the guy, but he has nothing new to add to what he's already said again and again over the years, and really, I don't need to hear him talk ever again. On the other hand, I'll always love to hear him sing. Regarding who he plays with, he'll just have to make do with all the other extremely talented musicians out there who are also much younger (and certainly less constrained by internal band politics) than some of the current Yes members are.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Uh, didn't you mean to state: "He rose to that level on all of the YES albums through and up to Tormato, then skipping ahead to 1983 for 90125 and then beyond..."
    No, I meant what I said. Tormato IMO is sub-standard, and the magical classic YES was dying. 90125 to me was lack-luster, as well as anything after. YES was still semi-prog, but Trevor Rabin brought a more pop element into the band. And IMO the real classic YES was the Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Squire, Bruford line-up, although they still were great in concert. The energy and performances were outstanding. But after 1977 the energy and magic seemed to fade. I know I'll get heat for my opinions, but I'm confident in my convictions. But in hindsight Tormato is great compared to trash like Fly From Here. I prefer to remember YES in their heyday as one of the great pioneering prog bands. I do think that Drama was a great album, even though Jon was absent.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I'll take another Anderson/Stolt album over another Yes album any day.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    No, I meant what I said. Tormato IMO is sub-standard, and the magical classic YES was dying. 90125 to me was lack-luster, as well as anything after. YES was still semi-prog, but Trevor Rabin brought a more pop element into the band. And IMO the real classic YES was the Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Squire, Bruford line-up, although they still were great in concert. The energy and performances were outstanding. But after 1977 the energy and magic seemed to fade. I know I'll get heat for my opinions, but I'm confident in my convictions. But in hindsight Tormato is great compared to trash like Fly From Here. I prefer to remember YES in their heyday as one of the great pioneering prog bands. I do think that Drama was a great album, even though Jon was absent.
    Both '78 and '79 tours showed the band in fine form..

No, I meant what I said. Tormato IMO is sub-standard...
    Yet, if they released another album like that, this place would be jumping for joy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yet, if they released another album like that, this place would be jumping for joy.
    Maybe some people here, but not myself really.

If they did something like Drama, or even Fly From Here (which is not "trash", btw), I'd be happy.

... But in hindsight Tormato is great compared to trash like Fly From Here. I prefer to remember YES in their heyday as one of the great pioneering prog bands. I do think that Drama was a great album, even though Jon was absent.
    I also agreed with everything you said, and I think even "The Ladder" is much better than "Fly from here"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not me!
    <sig out of order>

I think the current Yes should do an album loosely modeled after late 70s-early 80s Talking Heads. Maybe get Tony Levin to play bass.

Some folks act like Yes is their plaything to assemble whatever way they please. Don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Some folks act like Yes is their plaything to assemble whatever way they please. Don't they?
    Yep, especially on Yesfans! The speculation and fantasy never stops over there.

Yes

Yep, especially on Yesfans! The speculation and fantasy never stops over there.
    And in Jon A's world as well, it seems. lol

You can't stop Yes...

...fans.

Are we talking fans or band members?

To be honest, there is sooooo much more music out there that I don't need to hang on every note issued by an entity calling itself Yes. And thank all that is good and holy for that, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Are we talking fans or band members?

To be honest, there is sooooo much more music out there that I don't need to hang on every note issued by an entity calling itself Yes. And thank all that is good and holy for that, lol.
    This is true, I think we all know Yes of whatever line up is never going to produce anything much better than Heaven & Earth, or worthy of the name ever again anyway and yet some people still think they are going to come up with another Close To The Edge!

This is true, I think we all know Yes of whatever line up is never going to produce anything much better than Heaven & Earth, or worthy of the name ever again anyway and yet some people still think they are going to come up with another Close To The Edge!
    Part of the problem is no other band has come up with another Close to the Edge either, so it's natural to look to the old farts who created it in the first place to come up with something like it!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Part of the problem is no other band has come up with another Close to the Edge either, so it's natural to look to the old farts who created it in the first place to come up with something like it!
    QFT 100%

Ember
    IMO it's the same kind of entitlement that leads to fans "re-editing" other people's movies or changing the endings of TV series.

It's the prog-rock equivalent of fan fiction. As if, having heard the music, we now have a proprietary interest not only in it, but also in the people who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    They came out with five side-long pieces in a row right afterwards and didn't come up with something like CTTE. Now, I like the Topographic songs and Gates of Delirium but they are their own thing. If they wanted to or were capable of doing more lengthy pieces they would have. I mean, they did long tracks on the Keys to Ascension albums but frankly they were not very memorable or anything I'm ever clamoring to listen to.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The current version of Yes isn’t even “that good” compared to the In The Present band. It has zero hope of holding a candle to any of the assorted versions of Yes that featured Anderson between 1968 and 2004.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I've already had 35+ years to realize (particularly since 90125, etc.) that the old Yes ain't coming back, at least in terms of studio albums. Not that there weren't a few things here and there that I learned to accept/like on their own terms in the years since.
    <sig out of order>