Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson on current Yes lineup

Jon Anderson on current Yes lineup

Jon loves doing press for his 1000 Hands album - something that he has gotten to do twice now. But all questions always lead to Yes. In this one, he says he wants to be back in Yes, but he "wouldn't go back into that band because I don't think they're that good. I've said it now. They're good, but they're not that good. If I could get a gig with Jacob Collier, now that's good".

So...he says he wants to be in Yes, but I guess he doesn't want to be in the band with Downes? Or Sherwood? I really side with Steve on this nonsense. Jon makes a big deal about how he wants back in, but it sure comes with a lot of caveats.

Last edited by Dan Roth; 08-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Banned
    Perhaps Jon doesn't care to be the new lead singer for Asia, Mach 13 (or whatever).

Is he wrong? Whatever Yes is now is their greatest hits at half-speed and the somewhat decent Fly From Here (original version...I think Horn's remix is not as good).
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Is he wrong?
    Seriously. Even I wouldn't want to be in that band.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Sibelius 7th is one of my fav pieces ever by anybody, so Jonny just scored some bonus points with me. It makes sense that JA was into that piece (and Sibelius in general)...Sibelius' music evokes nature in profound ways.

The current Yes lineup are all talented, but even ardent supporters have to acknowledge that they aren't the band's best lineup ever. Or the second best. Or even the third. Some of that is just down to age. Jon Davison is the youngest member and he's pushing 50. Jay Schellen is freaking 60!

But it's also because the current Yes lineup (Steve especially) are all about minimizing chaos and internal friction so that they can keep the Yes institution afloat as long as possible. I think Steve feels like he, Alan and Geoff (and Billy to some extent) don't have anything left to prove so they've earned a break from the craziness that comes with being a professional touring musician. And it does sound a bit like sour grapes for Jon to be criticizing them at this point in their careers.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sibelius 7th is one of my fav pieces ever by anybody, so Jonny just scored some bonus points with me. It makes sense that JA was into that piece (and Sibelius in general)...Sibelius' music evokes nature in profound ways.
    Jon visited Finland few years ago when all symphonies of Sibelius where played here. I think the trip was present from her wife.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I have to agree with Jon. The current lineup is good, but not that good. Not really that good at all judging by a live performance in 2019 I witnessed, but I don't believe the current crypt keeper of Yes, Mr. Steve Howe, has any desire to relinquish control despite the wishes of a co founder to do one more Yes album and some gigs. I imagine as long as the pandemic is under control by the time the scheduled Relayer tour comes up next year, Howe's band will plod their way through those glorious pieces of music one paint by numbers keyboard part at a time and Anderson will continue to do his own thing, sounding better in voice on Yes material than Davison ever could. I was surprised by how good Jon's last band was on some of their Yes numbers.

Would I want to be a member of Yes? No.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Would I want to be a member of Yes? No.
    Jon A does. He just wants to decide who else is in the band. lol

He should reunite with Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman. They sounded better than the current YES. And I don't blame Jon, as when it comes to YES, I wouldn't lower my musical standards either. We all know that Jon was a dictator in YES, but like any great director, he aimed to create music of high art. He rose to that level on all of the YES albums through and up to Going For The One IMO. It would be nice to see him play with Steve again, but I doubt it'll happen.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^ In the ancient Roman Empire, "dictator" was an honorable title.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Jon visited Finland few years ago when all symphonies of Sibelius where played here. I think the trip was present from her wife.
    That's excellent. I recall Jon being influenced by Sibelius somewhere, but it's cool to hear it directly from him. Most of my favorite performances of Sibelius are with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

That's excellent. I recall Jon being influenced by Sibelius somewhere, but it's cool to hear it directly from him.
    He talked about the Sibelius influence as far back as CTTE, as I recall. Sibelius and Stravinsky were his guiding stars back then. Something about how "Sibelius injected melody" while "Stravinsky injected rhythm." Personally, I don't hear a lot of Sibelius' melodic ideas in Anderson's music, but the admiration is undeniable.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Sibelius gave Jon Anderson a hot melody injection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    He should reunite with Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman. They sounded better than the current YES. And I don't blame Jon, as when it comes to YES, I wouldn't lower my musical standards either. We all know that Jon was a dictator in YES, but like any great director, he aimed to create music of high art. He rose to that level on all of the YES albums through and up to Going For The One IMO.
    Uh, didn't you mean to state: "He rose to that level on all of the YES albums through and up to Tormato, then skipping ahead to 1983 for 90125 and then beyond..."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    He talked about the Sibelius influence as far back as CTTE, as I recall. Personally, I don't hear a lot of Sibelius' melodic ideas in Anderson's music, but the admiration is undeniable.
    Yeah, I don't think his music necessarily "sounds" like Sibelius, but maybe the organic natural vibes rubbed off on him. Jon is more 'celestial' whereas Sibelius is more 'Earth-like' nature, but maybe there's a commonality there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Sibelius gave Jon Anderson a hot melody injection.
    Ohhhh!! Ouch!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Even Jon has said Yes would live on beyond its "current" members (back in the 90's). Until Jon Davison, Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen and TBD guitarist and keyboardist (Tom Brislin?) record an album and tour that's not going to be fulfilled. I'd much rather see the future of Yes than a reshuffling of previous lineups at this point.

I really don't have a problem with the current Yes lineup. I was always a big fan of Drama and I think the various versions of Fly From Here are the best thing they've recorded since "Talk" (although I do like Magnification and The Ladder). But, there's only so many tours you can do without having any new material (and whatever that last thing they recorded is doesn't count). The same goes for ARW. It's nice that they toured together but record some new material please. If Howe/Downes are interested in going into the studio and recording something then I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, step aside and let the young ones take the torch. I really don't even care if they call it "Yes". Give me something in the spirit of Yes with a "modern" Yes lineup and I'd buy it.

Yeah, I don't think his music necessarily "sounds" like Sibelius, but maybe the organic natural vibes rubbed off on him. Jon is more 'celestial' whereas Sibelius is more 'Earth-like' nature, but maybe there's a commonality there?
    Yeah, to my ear the Stravinsky influence is a lot more obvious. I suppose you could say JA channelled the drama of Sibelius' works and has been expressing it in his own particular... idiom.

I'm quite happy Jon is not in Yes, he had his chance from '96 to '04 , they did some great shows in that time but never created any new music that was equal to Yes in the 70's so its over. Why on earth would Howe want him back in the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'm quite happy Jon is not in Yes, he had his chance from '96 to '04 , they did some great shows in that time but never created any new music that was equal to Yes in the 70's so its over. Why on earth would Howe want him back in the band?
    Exactly!

He needs to get back on the ARW train. They were better than the current Yes, so either do it or kwitcherbitchin

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    He needs to get back on the ARW train. They were better than the current Yes, so either do it or kwitcherbitchin
    Rick and Trevor no doubt have other (better) things to do. Trevor sounds as though he really isn't interested in ARW anymore. He had a desire to go out and play live again, and now he's been there, done that, and fulfilled that desire. I'm guessing he wants to move on to other frontiers (or return to the more lucrative one of film). Their calendars are all full well into the future. No one's getting any younger, so the next time he might feel the itch for something like the ARW venture, one or more of the others may no longer be with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Rick and Trevor no doubt have other (better) things to do. Trevor sounds as though he really isn't interested in ARW anymore. He had a desire to go out and play live again, and now he's been there, done that, and fulfilled that desire. I'm guessing he wants to move on to other frontiers (or return to the more lucrative one of film). Their calendars are all full well into the future. No one's getting any younger, so the next time he might feel the itch for something like the ARW venture, one or more of the others may no longer be with us.
    Yeah, one gets the sense that ARW scratched the "touring rock star" itch for Trevor the way the various reformed UK lineups did for Eddie Jobson. Neither seems to be longing for it much anymore.