Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Jon Anderson on current Yes lineup

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In the end, Yes is not so different from many other "classic rock" bands, who tour with very few of the original members.
    Many? Most. Pick a band from the '70s: it either exists with few original members, or it doesn't exist. It's hard to think of exceptions! (If the Genesis tour happens, then they've got a classic line-up, although it's only 2 original members.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    This debate would not even exist were it not for the name "Yes." It's the common problem of confusing the name for the thing itself.
    It's the fans, the consumers, who insist on these band names. Put the "Yes" name on it (or the "ELP" name or the "King Crimson" name or the "Smashing Pumpkins" name) and you sell more (often far more) albums and/or tickets.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Many? Most. Pick a band from the '70s: it either exists with few original members, or it doesn't exist. It's hard to think of exceptions! (If the Genesis tour happens, then they've got a classic line-up, although it's only 2 original members.)

It's the fans, the consumers, who insist on these band names. Put the "Yes" name on it (or the "ELP" name or the "King Crimson" name or the "Smashing Pumpkins" name) and you sell more (often far more) albums and/or tickets.

Henry
    Fans want a familiar name and familiar music, often the music they know and love, so please not to much new stuff.

This could be an interesting alternative to ARW:

Jon
    Rayford Griffin
    Tony Levin
    Patrick Moraz
    Jimmy Haun

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    This could be an interesting alternative to ARW:

Jon
    Rayford Griffin
    Tony Levin
    Patrick Moraz
    Jimmy Haun
    No evidence that Moraz and Anderson have had any contact for decades.

Haun was involved in a project with Anderson, but Anderson appears to have walked away from it. He's more likely to turn up working for the other Yes side.

Henry

Haun was involved in a project with Anderson, but Anderson appears to have walked away from it. He's more likely to turn up working for the other Yes side.

Henry
    There was that time when Igor was in the band and he jammed with Moraz in a hotel during a tour, - Jon may well have been there.

Aerosmith is an exception, but you're largely correct.

For me, Yes is a sonic "flavor" that transcends genres.

Over the years, it's been applied to psychedelic rock (the first album and sort of the second), symphonic prog (the main sequence), new wave-influenced rock (Tormato and Drama), '80s art pop (90125), world music (significant parts of ABWH), and '90s-styled rock (Talk). All of those have the Yes flavor even though the musical stylings are very different.

The problem creatively going forward is, I think, the loss of Squire. His voice was the most irreplaceable ingredient, as much of Anderson's non-Yes output has shown.

Henry
    Yes, I realize Moraz is a stretch, yet I wish he would get a shot, much like I would have liked Banks in Union.
    That being said, I would more realistically suggest Wakeman and Stolt.

Henry
    Golden Earring

Henry
    Dude, I have a hilarious story about reuniting Anderson with Moraz in 2005! Jon was performing at the NAMM Show and he sang "Long Distance Runaround" with me, Nick D'Virgilio and Stan Cotey (of Giraffe) plus Your Move with Nuno Bettencourt. Patrick was at the NAMM Show and was BEGGING me for tickets!!!! That in and of itself was strange and unexpected... Patrick Moraz of Relayer is begging me for tickets to see ME play with Jon Anderson? Bizzar-o-world!!!! Anyway, of course I hooked him up with tickets. I love Patrick Moraz! But, he's a bit intense so apparently it freaked Jon out when he was there. "HIIIIIIIII JON JON JON JON!!!!" (followed by big hugs!!! haha). Sort of like when you get really affectionate with a cat and they're like "uhhh umm hmmm..." It was pretty funny. But, I think the likelihood of the two of them working together again is probably zero.

What's more likely is that I'm working with Jimmy Haun. Btw Jimmy looks a bit like Jon Anderson sometimes! Have you noticed that?
    Last edited by Squids; 09-18-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Dude, I have a hilarious story about reuniting Anderson with Moraz in 2005! Jon was performing at the NAMM Show and he sang "Long Distance Runaround" with me, Nick D'Virgilio and Stan Cotey (of Giraffe) plus Your Move with Nuno Bettencourt. Patrick was at the NAMM Show and was BEGGING me for tickets!!!! That in and of itself was strange and unexpected... Patrick Moraz of Relayer is begging me for tickets to see ME play with Jon Anderson? Bizzar-o-world!!!! Anyway, of course I hooked him up with tickets. I love Patrick Moraz! But, he's a bit intense so apparently it freaked Jon out when he was there. "HIIIIIIIII JON JON JON JON!!!!" (followed by big hugs!!! haha). Sort of like when you get really affectionate with a cat and they're like "uhhh umm hmmm..." It was pretty funny. But, I think the likelihood of the two of them working together again is probably zero.
    Nice. Glad to have been proven wrong that they have had contact. Glad that my point that they're unlikely to work together remains intact!

What's more likely is that I'm working with Jimmy Haun.
    Also nice. I wonder what accident of life led to this collaboration.

Henry

What's more likely is that I'm working with Jimmy Haun.
    Great story! And if you are working with Jimmy Haun, that is pretty darn cool. You have me curious.

Btw Jimmy looks a bit like Jon Anderson sometimes! Have you noticed that?
    I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it... he kinda does.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Great story! And if you are working with Jimmy Haun, that is pretty darn cool. You have me curious.
    I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it... he kinda does.
    Yeah I never thought about it either until I did a band photoshoot with him. :-O Haha! But, seriously, he's a good guy and also a great player. I'll be able to share more info about the project soon. Got a few in the works involving some of the guys mentioned in this thread. One project that I'm co-leader/co-singer of and another where I'm just the keyboard player for a change. Either way I'll have my hands full especially when things get back to normal and one or more of these projects goes out on the road!

I love Patrick Moraz! But, he's a bit intense so apparently it freaked Jon out when he was there. "HIIIIIIIII JON JON JON JON!!!!" (followed by big hugs!!! haha). Sort of like when you get really affectionate with a cat and they're like "uhhh umm hmmm..." It was pretty funny.
    I have this feeling that any time he sees Patrick Jon gets this panic attack that the guy is going to start yelling "Where the hell are my Relayer royalties?!!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I have this feeling that any time he sees Patrick Jon gets this panic attack that the guy is going to start yelling "Where the hell are my Relayer royalties?!!"
    I doubt Jon is the one who pays the royalties. But, still, there could be a panic attack of some sort anyway after "I will hug him and squeeze him and call him George!" (Just kidding of course)

^ Great post. I got the reference.

The eons are closing
    I doubt Jon is the one who pays the royalties. But, still, there could be a panic attack of some sort anyway after "I will hug him and squeeze him and call him George!" (Just kidding of course)
    Hah!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm surprised Patrick didn't jump in with Tony around the 90125 era when cash started to roll in and get that issue addressed..

Thanks for the laugh. I hadn't thought of or seen that particular Looney Tune in many years!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I’ve heard about this brand new Yes related project called Yes Featuring Freaking Nobody. There will be no albums, tours, interviews or even photo shoots, but literally anybody you want to be in the band can be in the band, even Jon Anderson. Exciting, I know.

Currently the band includes:

Jon Anderson
    Steve Vai
    Doug Wimbish
    Ryo Okumoto
    Deantoni Parks
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters