Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labor Day 2020: SiriusXM Plays Top 30 Prog Albums As Chosen by Listeners

Reading this just makes me realize why I personally have no intentions of getting sirius radio

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Reading this just makes me realize why I personally have no intentions of getting sirius radio
    Yes, that and the fact that they only occasionally play Prog or Prog related tracks. In between, you get all kinds of commercial, pop rock and just really terrible classic rock stuff that can be heard on a number of other Sirius stations as well as on FM radio. Particularly during the mid day shift the female DJ who is supposed to be a legendary Rock radio personality plays a set list that resembles some of the so called "AOR" or legacy Rock stations, such as WXRT in Chicago and other station outlets across the Country. You'll hear basic cuts from the Eagles, Stones, Van Morrison, Tom Petty and on and on it goes. In between, she will slip in a Genesis or Jethro Tull cut, just to keep it "deep".

This list of Top Prog albums shows that the station is not drawing true Prog fans and that it is just all about having the trappings of progressiveness in it's advertisement for more subscribers.

I can't say I am surprised by the list, but not having anything released after 1982 (Asia) is disappointing. I am sure there are arguments as to whether Asia, Alan Parsons or even Supertramp are prog (especially Breakfast over Crime of the Century...), and if having 8 bands with 2 albums each in the top 20 is how they would program a progressive rock channel, I am sure I would tire of the channel pretty quickly.

I remember when I purchased my first satellite radio for a car (I am guessing around 15-17 years ago, time flies!) - I had to choose between Sirius and XM. I chose XM because they had a PROG channel. Which I listened to everyday quite happily until they removed the prog channel. I guess they didn't have many listeners. I still enjoy Sirius and mostly listen to the Deep Tracks channel. One thing I've noticed: Deep Tracks plays a fair amount of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, but nothiing post-Gabriel. And the Classic Vinyl channel plays alot of post-Gabrield Genesis. Similarly, Deep Tracks is where you might hear some Floyd Tunes from the Syd era.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    One thing I've noticed: Deep Tracks plays a fair amount of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, but nothiing post-Gabriel.
    I've been listening to DeepTracks for about eight hours a day for the last decade, and it's about 80% Collins Genesis. Probably half of what they play of Gabriel Genesis is from Lamb Lies Down, and the other half split between From Genesis to Revolution and Trespass/Nursery/Foxtrot/Selling.