Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifesigns: new album "Altitude" pledge campaign

So, has anyone heard this yet? It seems to be gathering glowing reviews across the board.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still not quite sure about it. The songwriting and playing are excellent, as expected. But there seems to be a slightly more Neo sound on this one, especially in the keyboard department, which I'm not totally comfortable with.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    So, has anyone heard this yet? It seems to be gathering glowing reviews across the board.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still not quite sure about it. The songwriting and playing are excellent, as expected. But there seems to be a slightly more Neo sound on this one, especially in the keyboard department, which I'm not totally comfortable with.

Thoughts?
    I like it a lot, and rank it right up there with their past two albums. It's a little more moody, not quite as intricate, but still some great songs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I like it a lot, and rank it right up there with their past two albums. It's a little more moody, not quite as intricate, but still some great songs.
    I agree with that. I've only had a couple listens - while working, so not ideal - but I definitely put it on par with the other two which I like a lot. If one enjoys Lifesigns at all, this should be good addition.

So you guys preordered, and already have the CDs?

Zoltan is a monster!!! The album is solid too!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The CDs were delayed due to Covid slowing things down, so they sent downloads to those who had ordered them. I think many are out now, but I don't have mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yes, we've had the download since early February and the CDs are starting to arrive.

Thanks. I must have missed the download email. No biggie.

Those that ordered signed CDs are still waiting as the inserts had to be sent around the U.K. for signatures. JY said they s/b going out this week.

So it looks like I'm the only one having trouble with the new one although I really like the first two. It's disturbing as I really want to like it and feel like I should, and yet it doesn't really happen.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So there’s no way to listen to this for less than the price of the FLAC (a little over $20)?
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

It’s a mighty fine album

Ordered the CD right away. I also got the mp3s as a download and now figuring out if I should wait for the CD to arrive (might take some time due to covid-19 restrictions etc). I guess I just don't have the patience With Dave Bainbridge on guitar duty and Zoltán Csörsz behind the drum kit this should be a mighty fine album indeed.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

New interview with John Young about the album and much more:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...th-john-young/

And, if you want to read an overview of the album, here you go:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...igns-altitude/

I received a partial postage refund from them today.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    New interview with John Young about the album and much more:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...th-john-young/

Great interview, Scott! John Young just seems like a really good dude.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All 15:17 of the title track is cut 1 on the CD with Prog #117.

Still digesting this one, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. And it seems to have some good replay value. The vocals hit me as a little cheesy every now and then, and some lyrics stand out as pretty bad and cliche, but there's mostly some good, melodic music.

Had a few listens to this and really enjoying it. This is my first exposure to the band so had no idea what to expect. I really like the title track, "Ivory Tower" and "Last One Home" - Zoltan sounds really good and wonderful to hear him in a prog setting again after such a long time - it may not be a flashy showcase album for him since the songs really don't call for that, it isn't Unfold The Future. But he plays exactly what the songs need and sounds great. Wonderful surprise of an album for me and I'll have to check out the prior ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'll have to check out the prior ones.
    Highly recommended.

Where’s the best place to order the CD from? Is it only available direct from the band, or are some vendors carrying it now?

AFAIK, only available via Amazon and the band's website.

(Damn, it's so easy to delete your own posts in mobile version of the forum. Well, here we go again)

My favorite tracks so far are Altitude, Gregarious, Arkhangelsk/Last One Home. Dave's guitar is killer! Having both him and Zoltan in the band is an exciting move. Basically was an auto-purchase for me.

My only quip is about sometimes inconsistent mixing: for example, in Gregarious lead vocals EQ'd differently between verses and chorus and it doesn't look like an intended effect.

All in all, the album in a very heavy rotation right now (in fact, I'm listening to the title track as I write) and those of you still undecided should run and grab a copy from the band's website quick! It's damn awesome!

First album of theirs I’ve heard. Absolutely love it. Kept hearing Shoreline played on various Progzilla shows but didn’t think much of it. But after hearing more people rave about the album, I gave the whole thing a listen. Probably listened to it a good twenty times at this point.