Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Pete Way

RIP Pete Way

Pete Way, UFO's original bassist passed away. That makes three people from UFO in the last 15 or so months that have gone home (the other two being Paul Raymond and Paul Chapman). RIP

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Pete Way, UFO's original bassist passed away. That makes three people from UFO in the last 15 or so months that have gone home (the other two being Paul Raymond and Paul Chapman). RIP
    Four, if you count Larry Wallis .

I read an interview with Pete in a magazine just a month or two ago. He was full of plans, including a new album. Bless him.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace from a UFO fan.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

RIP. I've never really heard a lot of UFO. I know they were part of the first wave of British, heavy bands in the 70s.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Saw UFO in 1975 with Michael Schenker on guitar. Excellent hard-rock band.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I finally got to see UFO for the first time last year. Was such a great show. They were one of the very best live bands from the 70s. Strangers In The Night is in my top 3 favorite live albums of all time.
    I missed seeing Paul Raymond, but got to see Pete and Phil. RIP guys & thank you! Hang in there Phil!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP. I've never really heard a lot of UFO. I know they were part of the first wave of British, heavy bands in the 70s.
    Crank the live album Strangers in the Night, ASAP!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    RIP Strangers In The Night is epic
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Saw UFO at the Glasgow Apollo, good night it was.

One of my favourite heavy rock bass players. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

As others have mentioned the live "Strangers In The Night" is the one to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As others have mentioned the live "Strangers In The Night" is the one to check out.
    I bookmarked it on Youtube for later.
    E-A-T

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^Yeah I remember reading about them really hitting it off in Classic Rock or Record Collector some years ago. Apparently he used to tease them about the 'dined on honeydew' lyric!

I really like UFO's Chrysalis albums from the 70s.

Now I've hit Rock Bottom. RIP.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Speaking of Pete Way, I would highly recommend his autobiography that came out a few years ago if are a fan. This guy lived the rock n roll life to the hilt, and it is a great read.

Very sad. I believe that he shouldn't be way too old for this shit to happen.

Great band, and a great, essential part of it just left us.

Just heard Strangers In The Night. Well produced live album. I'm just not that familiar with them. I know their first couple of albums were psych/space rocky. I think I'll check out UFO2.
    E-A-T

RIP Pete. From what I’ve heard he abused himself a lot during his lifetime. Sorry to hear this but I guess it’s not surprising. Have to play some UFO. A few of there most recent albums were pretty good and I still enjoy the stuff with Schenker.

Rock'n'roll will never die. RIP Pete. Ufo carried the flag of heavy music almost on their own for 3-4 years.

Just heard Strangers In The Night. Well produced live album. I'm just not that familiar with them. I know their first couple of albums were psych/space rocky. I think I'll check out UFO2.
    Pre Schenker was spacey. When Phenomenon came out my local station played the hell out of Doctor Doctor And Rock Bottom and I was hooked for life. I still consider Force It To be one of the best hard rock albums ever. Every cut is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Pre Schenker was spacey. .
    That's where am at now. Spacey.

I got my UFO playlist cranking right now. Schenker was such a beast when he played for them. RIP Pete, you were one of a kind.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Pre Schenker was spacey. When Phenomenon came out my local station played the hell out of Doctor Doctor And Rock Bottom and I was hooked for life. I still consider Force It To be one of the best hard rock albums ever. Every cut is stellar.
    Their debut was rather amateurish. Flying is a big improvement, however it is marred by an excessively rambling guitarist. Undeniably it has a retro acidic charm (and a killer track "Star Storm") which sets it apart from most of the modern stoner rock wah-wah abusers, but it fails to keep interest through its whole length. Schenker, being a more substantial player, completely rebooted them in the monster of an album that Phenomenon is.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Their debut was rather amateurish. Flying is a big improvement, however it is marred by an excessively rambling guitarist. Undeniably it has a retro acidic charm (and a killer track "Star Storm") which sets it apart from most of the modern stoner rock wah-wah abusers, but it fails to keep interest through its whole length. Schenker, being a more substantial player, completely rebooted them in the monster of an album that Phenomenon is.
    I agree. I bought their first 3 after getting into Phenomenon and was unimpressed. Im happy to have gotten to see both UFO and Schenkers band live.