Thread: R.I.P. Martin Birch

R.I.P. Martin Birch

Major producer/engineer of many classic rock albums, dead at 71. I always remember his story about getting Bruce Dickinson so riled up when he was recording that classic scream in Number Of The Beast.

Plenty of sources, but here's one in case people need it:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/martin-birch-dead/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

He helped define the sound of hard rock and metal during the 70's and 80's, working with Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake, MSG, and all those classic Iron Maiden albums (everything from Killers up through Fear Of The Dark). He also engineered the first three Wishbone Ash albums, and Beck-Ola.

Responsible for the sound on many classic heavy rock LPs. He produced/engineered so many of the albums I loved most growing up.

RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Oh no, RIP Martin

RIP MB

Thanks for the many albums that have accompanied me for over 40 years and that I still cherish nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He helped define the sound of hard rock and metal during the 70's and 80's, working with Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake, MSG, and all those classic Iron Maiden albums (everything from Killers up through Fear Of The Dark). He also engineered the first three Wishbone Ash albums, and Beck-Ola.
    You mean he made IM sound like DP??

I really regret the sonic changes with Killers (the debut is by far my fave), though I think that sonic treatment made their commercial success.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-10-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As always Pete Pardo does a great tribute to Martin's career.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had just listened to the IM song Children of the Damned!

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I really regret the sonic changes with Killers (the debut is by far my fave), though I think that sonic treatment made their commercial success.
    I'm the opposite. I think Killers is a huge step up from the sound of the debut.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Birch produced a sh*t-ton of CLASSICS!

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    Rising
    Long Live Rock 'N Roll
    Cultosaurus Erectus
    Fire of Unknown Origin
    Heaven and Hell
    Mob Rules
    Finyl Vinyl
    Assault Attack
    Over the Top
    Powerslave
    Somewhere in Time
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

...and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm the opposite. I think Killers is a huge step up from the sound of the debut.
    The debut had better songs (some of the best the band ever recorded). Killers had a better, more full and energetic sound. It accentuated DiAnno's punkish approach and flattered a no-holds-barred assault, never to be captured on a
    Maiden record again.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP. Very prolific.

Piece Of Mind remains one of my favourite sounding rock records. Adrian Smith’s rhythm guitar and the drums especially.

^^ Love that record. "Still Life" is my favorite Maiden song. Birch produced some great music!

I love his production on Fleetwood Mac's "Mystery to Me".

Any comment from Christine McVie? I understand they used to date.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

RIP to a great producer. I particularly love his production of BOC, where he found that the band had bass player and a drummer. Sandy Pearlman was woefully incapable of that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RIP to a great producer. I particularly love his production of BOC, where he found that the band had bass player and a drummer. Sandy Pearlman was woefully incapable of that.
    My fave album, Cultosaurus Erectus! And he also produced FOUO.