Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROGRESSION MAGAZINE STATUS, SUMMARIZED

PROGRESSION MAGAZINE STATUS, SUMMARIZED

I am writing to transparently explain the fate of Progression Magazine of which I am — was — owner/publisher. That I hadn’t fully done so before is in itself painful to me, but remains necessary for all involved. A friend called my attention to an old, lengthy thread on PE regarding Progression’s fate. I realized this was my opportunity to break from subconsciously self-imposed exile to address matters driven by a dying print industry and also of personal origin, which I’ve been reluctant to share publicly.

I started Progression in 1992 as a 12-page bimonthly newsletter, which evolved over the years into a 182-page internationally circulated quarterly magazine at its peak. It was a labor of love, mostly for the music but also for the challenge of bringing serious journalism to a deserving genre. Suffice to say this publication -- which I built from scratch “learning by doing” – consumed my life 24/7 for 26 years. Having no children, Progression was my “child.” But being a journalist foremost and businessman a far distant second, I was ill-equipped for navigating financial growing pains as advertising and circulation duties soon eclipsed editorial. I ran myself ragged wearing all three hats, could not afford to hire help but pressed on for years longer than I probably should have. Why? Simply put, celebrating progressive music’s visceral and intellectual appeal through the journalistic process fed my soul. Plus, a lot of folks liked the results.

The Internet came of age during Progression’s tenure spelling the print industry’s inexorable decline, which I resisted to the very bitter end. The first big blow was my primary newsstand distributor, Desert Moon Periodicals, going bankrupt losing me thousands. Then Tower Records folded, Progression’s biggest retail outlet. As people gravitated to online reading, magazines – especially indie publications – began to fold.

The emergence of social media and DIY websites forced me to don a fourth “hat” for online promotion and content that proved unmanageable. From the very start in ’92 through Progression’s last issue a bit over two years ago, this has been a one-man operation augmented by paid graphic artists and generous contributions from volunteer writers/reviewers. Between selling ads, managing subscriptions, writing, editing and overseeing online functions, my workload reached critical mass. Problem is, progressive music remains a tiny niche market with limited resources.

Progression’s last few years were plagued by an erratic publishing schedule. Job one for each issue cycle was first covering the printing bill (which ultimately drained my personal savings). Things stalled completely when a medical scare limited my ability to focus long hours on a computer screen as the work required. I am blind in my right eye from birth which made my left eye better than 20/20, but a condition called severe vitreous detachment clouded vision in my good eye that I still am coping with.

My hope all along has been to reinvent Progression in more manageable form, perhaps digitally, but finding a workable path forward has been elusive. Frankly, it is incredibly hard for me to abandon this “child,” this creation, with which I so closely have identified through three decades. As a result I’ve been unwittingly avoidant of hard truths and of properly apprising all subscribers/supporters where things stand. I thought this had been addressed – or at least, told myself that. Then I figured no one really cared. Then I’m alerted to a lengthy PE thread with posters calling me “scummy” and “leech,” so apparently some folks care after all.

That hurt. Eventually I came to accept that my efforts toward saving Progression at such high personal cost were counterproductive and a disservice to others. Back issues remain available in the webstore which no longer accepts subscriptions; anyone attempting to subscribe since publication ceased has been/will be refunded. I apologize to those left hanging with partially completed subscriptions, which has caused me sleepless nights. Piecemeal monetary reimbursement is not possible right now as I seek acceptable alternative solutions. One possibility might be filling the balance with available back issues, of which there remain many. Those in that position should please advise if it’s something you would consider (e-mail address below).

Along the way, of course, many things have been said. True, obligations to current subscribers in the end were not fulfilled. Other accusations are NOT true. For example, one member here publicly suggested the magazine’s website is a front to solicit promo submissions for surreptitious sale on Discogs.com. This definitely (and demonstrably) is untrue. Yes, out of financial necessity I opened a Discogs store to liquidate items from my personal music collection (CDs/DVDs/vinyl) plus items I bought wholesale, along with some promos (via multiple sources, not just Progression) dating chiefly from 1996-2011. Since 1992 most promotional discs sent to Progression for review were parsed out to reviewers. The rest including duplicates, items we had insufficient space to review and items I reviewed personally, stayed with me. At no time have promos been sought through Progression targeting re-sale, anywhere. I honestly cannot imagine how, even with all that happened, anyone could suggest such a thing.

In closing, from the bottom of my heart I wish to thank everyone who supported me and the magazine throughout our headfirst dive into the oft-bumpy, glorious unknown of independent publishing. I knew what I wanted with Progression but obviously didn’t know what to expect. One guy serving thousands of people over a quarter century wasn’t the best formula for 100-percent customer satisfaction, but I hope we at least made some of you feel better informed along the way. Thanks again.

Your friend in prog,
    Scummy Leech (a/k/a John Collinge)

P.S. I recently was notified of some back-issue orders left unfilled from a webstore data recovery glitch. Anyone potentially affected by this please e-mail me directly at progressionmag@aol.com. You also can message me there with other questions, comments, complaints, insults, etc. I promise to respond.
    Progression Magazine, since 1992 the "Bible" of progressive music!
    John Collinge, Publisher
    P.O. Box 485, Shirley, MA 01464 USA
    www.progressionmagazine.com

Editorial: progmagazine@aol.com
    Advertising: progmagads@aol.com
    Circulation: progmagsub@aol.com

Thanks for the info, John. I’m sorry it’s come to this, but I want you to know I got many years of great enjoyment and enlightenment from your magazine. It was always a beautiful and well-put-together product. I can remember eagerly anticipating its arrival and reading it from cover to cover. And I’ve always enjoyed our conversations at prog festivals and such. Best wishes for the future, ad I hope you find a suitable way to make ends meet.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for your message John. Good luck in your future endeavours. All the best!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thank you John for your great publication and the dedication to the music that we love. There is no excuse for the personal attacks you have received. I wish you well in your future endeavors.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

John, thanks for the magazine! I still have every issue!

John, thanks for all your hard work and efforts putting the magazine together. I enjoyed every issue that I have and always accepted that it came out, when it came out. Thanks for hanging in so long.

Best of luck in all future endeavors and best wishes for good health, to you.

neil

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    John, I don’t know if I had issues left or not, but I’m happy to forget about any refund. I have most of the issues too, and always enjoyed your work. I remember when you helped out when Sea of Tranquillity’s printed magazine folded. So it was a good run but bound to come to an end eventually. Part of the problems with some people’s expectations was that Progression looked “pro” but was still a ‘zine at heart, and ‘zines often kept erratic printing schedules. Anyone remember when the Dream Theater fanzine folded. There used to be a great Todd Rundgren newsletter that disappeared. Progression held on longer than most. Most of these publications go out with loose ends. Better to have had Progression than not!

I always said the interviews you wrote were the magazine’s strong point. I hope you can find an outlet for that.

Jed Levin

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The best prog mag for sure. Was a fun ride while it lasted.

Best of luck to you.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I started a nostalgia thread the other day about Progression magazine, as I came across an old issue when I was clearing out.

I always enjoyed the mag, I know there were distribution problems especially receiving it here in the UK. I liked the articles, the review section was very comprehensive and I discovered a lot of bands via the mag. It's probably also what prompted me to start going to the festivals such as Rosfest, Nearfest etc.

John, you have spoken on here about the issues you raised above, I know its not been an easy ride. But I was always happy with your responses when there were any problems.

Thanks for the mag, for your help and I wish you luck for the future.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Thanks John - UK reader here and ELP nut and always appreciated your positive energy towards the band. Have some sporadic issues and always thought such hi quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    John, I don’t know if I had issues left or not, but I’m happy to forget about any refund.
    What Jed said goes for me, too. As a colleague in the publishing game, I know how hard it is. I've been a victim of layoffs five times, the latest a month ago. I have a bunch of issues lying around, and now that I have a lot of time on my hands (or underfoot as she-who-must-be-obeyed says), I will finish reading them. Thanks for the hard work and chatting with me at ProgDay and Boston-area shows.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Thank you for this insightful and candid explanation for the fate of Progression. It was a great publication that went a long way to promoting interest in that "tiny niche market with limited resources" known as Progressive Music (to quote your succinct description). Your coming forward like this does a lot to allay the concerns and contentions of past subscribers, as responses to this thread attest to.

I still recall that special edition that covered ELPs career in depth, including the one on one interviews, as being one of the best that I have seen.

Good luck and fortune to you as you progress through these turbulent times.

issue-74-1_1 RIP.jpg

A hearty salute to you, John. Your contribution to the continuing vitality and legacy of my favorite music does not go unnoticed. Prog fans are largely introverted, fastidous and suspicious. They'll shitcan Tales for not being as good as Relayer. Pay them no mind. During my feeble attempts to market music I ran into a few scum and believe me, you certainly were never on that list.

Thank you John for sharing with everyone what is going on in your life and with the magazine.
    Haven't been a subscriber for years, but I was in those early years before the internet(at least for my reluctance to even buy a computer for years).
    I was more interested in the big acts of Prog Rock, the classic prog bands and the neo prog bands like Arena, Pendragon, Marillion, IQ(etc), but did expand some of my horizons from lesser known bands through their exposure in your magazine.
    Without the internet, Progressive magazine was my beacon of light and my only source of what was going on in the US(Iluvatar, Echolyn, Magellan), and many of my favorites from around the world.

Unfortunately the internet has brought the ability for people to hide behind avatars and fake names, and allows the dark side of some people's personalities to come out, because they write and say things they would never say to another person face to face. Yes, they are cowards who are really meek, weak individuals who are so insecure about themselves, they can only boost their egos by calling people names without fear of being confronted physically.

But it takes a lot to go public and write of your problems and difficulties, and you have my deepest respect.
    Wish you nothing but the best for your future, and as a former subscriber, thank you for the many years of moments in Progressive Rock Nirvana while reading your magazine, and thank you to all the many talented contributors who wrote reviews, articles, and for the many bands who created and create so much great music in our genre.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 08-11-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any PE member has every issue of Progression Magazine (all 74, I assume)? I also am wondering if John could sell every back issue, if someone was interested and had the cash to pay for it? The answer to this last question is probably "no", as he states in his write-up above that "many" back issues are available. That would be something though, to have every issue ever published.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any PE member has every issue of Progression Magazine (all 74, I assume)? I also am wondering if John could sell every back issue, if someone was interested and had the cash to pay for it? The answer to this last question is probably "no", as he states in his write-up above that "many" back issues are available. That would be something though, to have every issue ever published.
    I’d personally love to purchase some back issues for nostalgia sake. Going there now ...

A great mag that I looked forward to reading cover-to-cover when it arrived. Best wishes moving into the future and thanks for the memories.

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any PE member has every issue of Progression Magazine (all 74, I assume)?
    I have all the Progression Magazine issues, and all the Occasional GG newsletters as well. I confess, I did not hang onto all the promotional CDs, but I've got all the zines.

It was a good run. I count John as a friend and I wish him nothing but the very best. If there's any money left on my subscription, he can keep it.

Bill

Thanks John for the energy and passion put into this mag over the years. Best wishes.

Frankie
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Scummy Leech was just never as good without their original lead singer.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any PE member has every issue of Progression Magazine (all 74, I assume)?
    I think I do.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I have several dozen, and that cool Yes special.

Banned
    So, Sputnik and Shadow, how much do you think the entire aggregation of Progression magazines is worth, in US dollars?

So, Sputnik and Shadow, how much do you think the entire aggregation of Progression magazines is worth, in US dollars?
    I think that's one of those things where it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. At $5 per issue, that's like $370. That seems like a baseline to me.

Do these have "collectible" value? Are they worth more because I have them all? Is condition an issue? All these would be additional considerations that I really have no knowledge how to account for.

Mine are in very good condition, but I'd hardly say "mint" (though some are probably pretty close). I have them in plastic covers. But I read them, and the early ones I used to reference a lot. So they didn't get put into a plastic case like some of those vintage comic books.

I just don't know, and as I'm not really looking to sell, it's not something I'd put a lot of thought into right now. But if someone wants to offer me $1 million dollars, I'll take it!

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think that's one of those things where it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. At $5 per issue, that's like $370. That seems like a baseline to me.

Do these have "collectible" value? Are they worth more because I have them all? Is condition an issue? All these would be additional considerations that I really have no knowledge how to account for.

Mine are in very good condition, but I'd hardly say "mint" (though some are probably pretty close). I have them in plastic covers. But I read them, and the early ones I used to reference a lot. So they didn't get put into a plastic case like some of those vintage comic books.

I just don't know, and as I'm not really looking to sell, it's not something I'd put a lot of thought into right now. But if someone wants to offer me $1 million dollars, I'll take it!

Bill
    Let's see, that's $13,513.51 per issue. That would provide you with a profit margin of 2,702%, which is somewhat excessive.

Sounds like a good starting point for further bartering.