Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROGDAY 2020 UPDATE

PROGDAY 2020 UPDATE

Virtual ProgDay 2020 Update and ProgDay 501c3 Status.

ProgDay is happy to announce that we are currently pulling together a virtual event for this year. The idea is to present streaming performances from 4 artists a day over the Saturday and Sunday of the originally scheduled ProgDay weekend (September 5 and 6). Once the lineup and scheduling are worked out, the details and instructions will be posted on the ProgDay website.

Virtual ProgDay 2020 is being greatly facilitated by Tom Palmieri and Ann Rinaldi of ProgStock (http://www.progstock.com/2020/). On Saturday, August 1, ProgStock kicked off the ProgStock Presents Virtual Series, a series of weekly shows streamed online through StageIt.com. After reading of ProgDay’s cancellation, Tom and Ann reached out to ProgDay and invited us to partner with them for our virtual event. The result is that Virtual ProgDay 2020 will be presented on Labor Day weekend as part of the ProgStock Presents Virtual Series.

Please note that ProgStock is not getting anything for this. All funds that are raised will go to ProgDay and the artists that perform.

Thank you Tom and Ann!

We are also excited to announce that ProgDay is now a tax-exempt non-profit event.

In 2017, Musical Arts Progressive Society, Inc. (MAPS), was formed. MAPS is a non-profit organization which advocates for, educates about and promotes national and international musical artists creating progressive and innovative music. MAPS recently received its confirmation as a 501(c)(3) company. Donations to MAPS / ProgDay are now tax deductible.
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Yay! Let the band speculation begin.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    sweet
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, great news about the nonprofit status, congratulations!!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Now they can have profit sharing to divide up the millions after the festival so the IRS isn't breathing down their necks.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Unchain the Zappa hologram!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's always been non profit.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

First Three Bands Announced for Virtual ProgDay 2020!

This year we have tried to use our virtual response to the pandemic as a path to showcasing bands that we would normally not be able to present to the ProgDay audience. With that in mind, we are pleased to announce the first three bands for Virtual ProgDay 2020.

-----------------------------

• Mad Fellaz (Italy)

“...one of Italy's most promising acts and a beacon of unending entertainment for those who worship originality and style. This is one hell of a crew, certainly deserving of an avid following in Progland.”
    - tszirmay, PROGARCHIVES

Citing Area, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, King Crimson and Gentle Giant as original influences, exploration and growth has been the mindset of this band from the beginning. MAD FELLAZ started life as an all-instrumental ensemble creating eclectic progressive rock with symphonic and fusion underpinnings.. For their second outing the eclecticism increased with the addition of a female vocalist, with the music taking a turn into new areas. For their third release, a new male singer took over vocal duties. Again, this added fresh elements to an already potent mix of styles. The result is three albums that reference and build on each other, yet maintain their own ambiance and identity, and in the end are all uniquely MAD FELLAZ.

• VAK (France)

"Even if they had disbanded after Budo, what they’ve already given artistically is enormous and, most importantly, unique. This is one of the top zeuhl records of all time and one of the best prog albums of the last decades."
    - Dimitris Kaltsas, PROGROCKS

One need look no farther than VAK to see the state of zeuhl. Often compared to Eskaton, Eider Stellaire and Magma, VAK are a standard bearer for the current state of the art, delivering complex, dramatic, emotional, grooving and melodic compositions. With zeuhl as their base, as the band expanded new styles were integrated into the sound including metal, classical music, and even experimental noise music. VAK cohesively assembles all of these influences and ideas into exciting music that is interesting and engaging and that you will want to hear again.

• Vespero (Russia)

“The music is utterly creative with traces of Hawkwind, Gong, Hidria Spacefolk and Vibravoid never far away. While so many bands blandly crank out tired stoner rock with a few whirling synth parts, VESPERO construct complex edifices of interwoven sounds that independently evoke the exotic while collectively elevating the mind to higher dimensions. This is the stuff that 21st century space rock dreams are made of.”
    - Silly Puppy, PROGARCHIVES

Formed in 2003 and releasing their first album in 2007, VESPERO has become one of the most important space rock bands of the 21st century. With almost 20 albums released, the band has managed to not repeat themselves by consistently defining new musical goals. Producing psychedelic prog rock taken to trippy extremes, their music is a spaced out psychedelic journey of soundscapes, musicianship, musical flow and innovation.

For more information about bands and Virtual ProgDay 2020, please visit us at www.progday.net.
    Deb S.
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Two More Bands for Virtual ProgDay 2020!

• HOOFFOOT (Sweden)

“Hooffoot’s debut album was one of the biggest and most pleasant surprises during the decade that’ll end in just a few days. Hooffoot came almost out of nowhere and was relatively easily named album of the year by Progrocks.gr editors in 2015...Where many prog bands fail, Hooffoot triumph. The expressive pluralism, the smoothness of changes and the flawless orchestration are simply rare....”
    - Dimitris Kaltsas, PROGROCKS

HOOFFOOT began as a “Sunday forum for three men to meet, try weird musical ideas, drink coffee and complain about back ache.” But the band began to carefully expand, inviting musicians of various musical backgrounds into the mix. The result is a singular take on fusion that is often compared to Miles Davis and Soft Machine, with nods to Santana and Fläsket Brinner. As the band says, “Santana loved Miles. Magma loved Coltrane. Soft Machine loved pop. Pink Floyd loved Soft Machine. Weather Report loved African grooves. The Italian progressive bands loved classical music. Return to Forever loved Brazilian stuff. Frank Zappa loved Black Sabbath. Hooffoot love them all. Forget about labels like rock, jazz, progressive and kraut…”

• STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA (US)

STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA was the first band announced for ProgDay 2020 before the physical event was canceled. We are happy that they are able to join us for Virtual ProgDay 2020. Here is what we said the first time around:

"Instant Everything!…impressively shows how you can creatively refresh a synthesis of Canterbury and Avant prog and add numerous influences.”

- Babyblaue Prog

“Lightworks…is nothing short of a masterpiece which cannot be described properly in words. So, those who enjoy intricate, intellectual, yet entertaining cross-genre instrumental music should try the album for sure. Let me say my 'Bravos' to this incredible ensemble!”

- Raigor, PROGARCHIVES

STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA is an ensemble of seasoned musicians from Austin’s progressive and experimental music scenes. Mixing influences ranging from Henry Cow, Cardiacs, Haniwa-Chan and Picchio Dal Pozzo, to traditional music from Eastern Europe and South Asia, they play “highly harmonically based, rhythmically interesting and through-composed music that’s a pleasure to listen to…” (Chris Cutler). Formed in 2013, the band has released two highly acclaimed albums.

----------------------

Join HOOFFOOT, STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA, VESPERO, VAK and MAD FELLAZ at Virtual ProgDay 2020, Saturday and Sunday, September 5 and 6, 2020.

Three more bands to be announced.

For more information about bands and about attending Virtual ProgDay 2020, please visit us at www.progday.net.
    Deb S.
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Damn!

Awesome!

Virtual ProgDay 2020 Ticket and Performance Information

Once it was decided that the physical ProgDay event would not happen, the decision to try to have a virtual event was born from the desire to have ProgDay continue in some form this year and to provide our regular audience with an experience that would be fun, entertaining and worth their while. So we set out to present a series of performances that would be streamed live, as they were happening. The challenge we faced in doing this was the combination of the short time frame in which to contact bands and for them to arrange a concert, as well as the really tough job of each band not only finding a viable performance space, but also having the ability for all of the band members to gather and play at the particular time they were to perform over ProgDay weekend.

Ultimately, between the various situations created by the pandemic in various countries, the technical requirements and the lack of time for producing the event, it was just not possible for many of the bands to pull off a live-in-the-moment broadcast.

The result is that Virtual ProgDay 2020 will offer truly live performances combined with pre-recorded shows done especially for ProgDay. In the case of pre-recorded shows, the concert you will see will be a performance that has been played and recorded especially for the ProgDay audience and has never been seen anywhere before. The prerecorded shows represent a huge amount of effort on the part of the participating bands to get their music in front of you. During prerecorded shows, we will speak live with band members that will be present during the broadcast.

Once again ProgDay has assembled a group of bands that we think are worthy of your attention. While we know that many of you are already familiar with some of these bands, we also know that few of you will know all of the bands. To encourage our audience to attend all of the performances over the weekend, we have set ticket prices at $6 for all shows. We hope this economical price will allow everyone that is interested to experience all of the music. We also hope that those who are in a position to contribute more will show their appreciation to the artists by tipping additional money during the performances. Also note that when buying a ticket, the $6 price is a minimum that you can pay. If you wish to get more money to the artists, you have the option of paying more for the ticket than the required minimum.

Tickets for the five announced bands are now available for sale. To buy tickets, visit the Bands and Tickets pages of the ProgDay website, www.progday.net. Please read the information on both pages before purchasing tickets.

Stay tuned… three more confirmed bands to be imminently announced.

Join HOOFFOOT, STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA, VESPERO, VAK and MAD FELLAZ at Virtual ProgDay 2020, Saturday and Sunday, September 5 and 6, 2020.
    Deb S.
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Signed up for all 5 shows.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Three More Bands for Virtual ProgDay 2020!

ProgDay is happy to announce the final three bands for Virtual ProgDay 2020:

--------------------------------------

• GHOST RHYTHMS (France)

"The music here walks a wide loop around Soft Machine and Magma, Univers Zero and Henry Cow, Miles Davis and Miriodor, Van Der Graaf Generator and Art Zoyd. It's impeccably assembled and played, while freely indulging the more insane aspects of progressive rock, avant-garde chamber music, and electric jazz....Despite the musical sophistication and adventure on Live at Yoshiwara, this music is extremely accessible to a wide swathe of listeners. Its release signals the magnificent arrival of Ghost Rhythms on American shores. Get it now."
    – Thom Jurek / AllMusic

GHOST RHYTHMS is an avant-fusion band created in 2005 by composers Camille Petit and Xavier Gélard. Having worked in a variety of rock and progressive rock-type ensembles, neither had any background in jazz, but both had an interest in forming a jazz ensemble. To play their compositions, they recruited jazz and classical players for the group. They felt that an interesting balance between immediacy and a more cerebral approach would be achieved combining their own background as self-taught, prog-rock-influenced composers/musicians with the academically-trained classical/jazz musicians who made up the rest of GHOST RHYTHMS. The result is a unique take on jazz fusion where the explore what they term “ghost rhythm” - playing with pulsation, odd rhythms and illusory perception to create a very special musical experience.

• LES ÉVADÉS (Canada)

LES ÉVADÉS is an instrumental five piece formed in 2014 in Quebec City. Their sound is created through a unique combination of jazz, rock, world music and classical music.

After an eponymous album in 2016, the band came back rejuvenated as a collective with a new album, Black Mamba, in 2019. Merging a rock-influenced rhythm section (guitar-bass-drums) with the lyrical and almost classical feel of a strings section (violin-cello), the sound of LES ÉVADÉS stands out due to their hybridity and their precisely defined identity. Sometimes dark, sometimes cinematic, sometimes mournful, sometimes uplifting, always engaging…

• GNARBOT (US)

GNARBOT is a prog-fusion band from Philadelphia. Formed in 2017, the band draws from a broad sonic palette inspired by the likes of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Soundgarden, and Flying Lotus to create intricate, exploratory compositions. Their unique blend of complex rhythms, heavy riffs, ethereal vocals, and textured improvisations offers a fresh, energetic musical perspective.

Join GHOST RHYTHMS, LES ÉVADÉS, GNARBOT, HOOFFOOT, STOP MOTION ORCHESTRA, VESPERO, VAK and MAD FELLAZ at Virtual ProgDay 2020, Saturday and Sunday, September 5 and 6, 2020.

For more information about bands and about attending Virtual ProgDay 2020, please visit us at www.progday.net.
    Deb S.
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

Can these performances be purchased and watched at a later date?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Can these performances be purchased and watched at a later date?
    Thats what I want to know too.

According to the StageIt site they don't archive them so they can't be watched later, but Michael stated some of the performances would be prerecorded so I'm assuming they'll show up somewhere at some stage if the band owns the rights to the performance.
    Ian

That is not really making full use of the advantages of internet. I would be willing to pay for these if i could watch them when it suits me.

Even if I had time to watch and would be in the same timezone I think watching shows a full day from behind the computer is 'hard'.
    In the flesh you have the crowd exitement, beer and food, social interaction, you can moove and jump around a bit. Behind the pc nothing of that. One performance a time will be enough for me.

I think. I dunno. Its all new of course.

I fully agree. I guess they are trying to justify their model with 'live' events. StageIt as a platform seems to have issues. I'll have a better idea after experiencing it this weekend.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    In the flesh you have the crowd excitement.
    I've never seen you naked so I'll just take your word for it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Even if I had time to watch and would be in the same timezone I think watching shows a full day from behind the computer is 'hard'.
    I agree. I tried out StageIt the other night just for practice. I watched Robeone do a 45-min show to benefit the Moog Foundation. Good show, BTW. Everything worked fine on the computer. I tried to use the internet browser in my Samsung TV to stream the show, but StageIt rejected it saying it wasn't up to snuff. Then I cast it from my Android to the TV, which worked pretty good, but with lower video resolution and occasional audio/video streaming hiccups. For ProgDay, I'm going to drag my PC into the living room, hook up the TV as the computer monitor, and plug the audio into my Harmon Kardon sound bar. It's a bit of a kludge, but worth it for two days of concert viewing comfort.

I have an answer concerning those who can't be in front of their computer but want to see the shows afterwards, from Michael Benett :
    "Hi Xavier.

The StageIt platform doesn't archive anything for later viewing. So unfortunately there is no way for someone to access the show after the broadcast.

What I've been recommending to bands that are prerecording shows is that rather than eventually posting it as a promotional piece for free on YouTube or Facebook or somewhere like that, that the bands put it up on a service like Bandcamp as a paid download for the same price as the ticket. That way those who couldn't make the show can get it to watch for the same price as the ticket, and people who are at the show but want to get a copy of their own to watch can get it to keep.

Cheers.

Michael"

We (Ghost Rhythms) are studying this question. (By the way, one of the member has COViD and another just blocked his back. Will we do the show ? We all hold our breath, wainting to know.)

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    that the bands put it up on a service like Bandcamp as a paid download for the same price as the ticket. That way those who couldn't make the show can get it to watch for the same price as the ticket, and people who are at the show but want to get a copy of their own to watch can get it to keep.)
    I do not think you can sell video on BandCamp; I would have liked to have done that with some of our releases, but that's not what they are set up to do.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but....

P.S. to Xavier - I am holding my breath FOR you....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You can include videos as bonus items, as well as include a video as a playable part of an album page

https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/a...do-I-use-them-

There may be limits based on your account...smaller/free accounts can only upload files up to a certain size.

So, if you decide to release the video, you could release the audio as the "main" part of the release and a video of the performance as a bonus, and perhaps a 2-3 minute "teaser" video that can be played directly from the release page.

And yep...hope all goes well with everyone's health, sir!!