Thread: Thirsty Moon

Thirsty Moon

Their first two albums are minor classics of the jazzy krautrock scene. Any other fans?

It took me a few years to track down a CD of their debut s/t album, many years after I dumped the vinyl in a fit of misbegotten housecleaning.

Another one I had to search for again was Kollektiv.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Yes, but I'm not too keen on what came after those first two.

Other quite good krauts not all that dissimilar were Eiliff, Ikarus, Think, Cornucopia and Eulenspygel.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This one's damn good, just played it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, but I'm not too keen on what came after those first two.

Other quite good krauts not all that dissimilar were Eiliff, Ikarus, Think, Cornucopia and Eulenspygel.
    It's been awhile, but I don't recall Eulenspygel having much of jazz-inflected style. The others are all fantastic, and I would add the first Nine Days Wonder to this list...

Really enjoyed the first two albums and the thir one, Blitzz, is not bad at all, although different: a slim down band, from the original seven piece.
    What I liked about them was that they were jazzy, with lots of sax solos, but with a firm rock based rhythm section and psychedelic guitar.
    Puppenhaus, Aera, Release Music Orchestra, Brainstorm and Ibliss would be other German bands somewhat linked to them soundwise, besides the already mentioned ones.

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoodman View Post
    It's been awhile, but I don't recall Eulenspygel having much of jazz-inflected style. [...] I would add the first Nine Days Wonder to this list...
    Probably right, but at least the second 'spygel album had that same distinctly freaky/edgy Germanofon underground ethic to it. The debut NDW is quite awesome in places, although I'd loved for them to sing in German rather than that faux "British". And, albeit not too aligned with these titles, Floh de Cologne's Geyer Symphonie almost makes an inclusion here. It's one of the eeriest "rock" albums I know of, like something out of 'Dr. Mabuse'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM