Thread: Steve Hackett Live: Selling England and Spectral Tour to be released

Steve Hackett Live: Selling England and Spectral Tour to be released

Yet more live Hackett in the pipeline. I may be in for this one.

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/news...-mornings-live

This also means that previously unfinished / unreleased Genesis track "Deja Vu" will get a release, as it's in the track list.

I may get it too, I just ordered the Wuthering Nights Blu Ray which should turn up soon. I haven't seen him in a while so seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    This also means that previously unfinished / unreleased Genesis track "Deja Vu" will get a release, as it's in the track list.
    Was on Genesis Revisited.

^OK, thanks. I thought someone here had been hoping for a release, but I might be mistaken. (A-how-how-how.) I only have the first Revisited disc.

I only have the first Revisited disc.
    That's the one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Damn my aching Credit card! Yes.....preordered. Steve is offering “lawnmower green” vinyl (limited 300 copies) on his site Hackettsongs.com. BUT that and shipping from the UK is a bit out of line. Ken at LE has the best price (black vinyl only) along with the other CD /DVD / BR options and the best USA shipping prices. Fair price since you won’t be seeing Steve live this year.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

And here it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's the one!
    . Oh well. I'll quit now.

Déjà Vu was only unfinished and unheard until 1996 when it appeared on the original Genesis Revisited album.

Interestingly enough, a tiny bit of the melody of Deja Vu pops up again in Flotsam and Jetsam on Gabriel 2.

Matt.

. Oh well. I'll quit now.
    Ever find that you own so many albums that you can't remember what's on them? The only solution: Buy more albums!

Saw Hackett doing this set last year in Oakland and it was bloody transcendent. I'm in.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ever find that you own so many albums that you can't remember what's on them? The only solution: Buy more albums!
    I have most of my collection cataloged on Discogs, except for what's not in their database, and the cataloged items are over 7,000 now. I keep finding things, and it's "I don't remember getting that," or "I didn't know I have that." SMH

All recent (last 2 years of so) Inside Out Music releases are available in hi res, so I plan to get it that way. I really don't understand the appeal of digitally mastered vinyl, but feel free to get them if that floats your boat.

I was late to the party and recently purchased the Steve Hackett w/orchestra DVD and it's quite enjoyable.
    But there's always enough variety on his concert releases to justify another purchase..I'm in for this one as well.
    The new cd releases not so much. Wolflight was my last one, the last two especially the one after Wolflight seemed too similar to me, but we enjoy Wolflight a lot.

Steve's very smart in filming every tour which means once a year we get a new show and DVD.
    Remember back in the day you were lucky if a band released their tour on VHS or Laser Disc?

We would go to those weekend record shows and would wind up buying some bootleg version of a concert on VHS, usually very poor quality.
    I remember finding Genesis' MAMA tour on VHS (Official Release) at one of our local record stores and felt like I'd won the lottery. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Those were the days. Record shows were few and far between. I'd just fallen in lover with Marillion as a result of impulse buying "Misplaced Childhood" as a CD import after seeing the video (on MTV!) for Kayleigh. Finding a boot (audio or terrible quality VHS video) of Mariliion at that time WAS hitting the lottery for me. It seemed that all the bands I loved were all "import only"- Marillion, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett to name a few. Importing CDs from Europe seemed to be frowned upon by the U.S. music industry and the prices of imports reflected this. Buying imported CDs often felt like doing a drug deal. I once had a dealer visit my dorm room in college with a bagful of my wish list. Those were indeed the days. Now in the internet age it all seems so easy....

Quote Originally Posted by mydiax View Post
    Those were the days. Record shows were few and far between. I'd just fallen in lover with Marillion as a result of impulse buying "Misplaced Childhood" as a CD import after seeing the video (on MTV!) for Kayleigh. Finding a boot (audio or terrible quality VHS video) of Mariliion at that time WAS hitting the lottery for me. It seemed that all the bands I loved were all "import only"- Marillion, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett to name a few. Importing CDs from Europe seemed to be frowned upon by the U.S. music industry and the prices of imports reflected this. Buying imported CDs often felt like doing a drug deal. I once had a dealer visit my dorm room in college with a bagful of my wish list. Those were indeed the days. Now in the internet age it all seems so easy....
    Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to our Forum.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

WeI would go to those weekend record shows and wind up buying some bootleg version of a concert on VHS, usually very poor quality.
    I remember finding Genesis' MAMA tour on VHS (Official Release) at one of our local record stores and felt like I'd won the lottery. lol
    There still are some of those record conventions (now on hiatus due to covid), mainly thanks to the return of vinyl.
    The early ones had colored vinyl, picture discs and hard to find european imports, backstage passes, posters, autographed pictures and of course, the bootleg VHS and later DVDs.
    There was a guy who specialized exclusively on expensive Led Zeppelin memorabilia and albums. But in the 80s Prog was at all record shows, but not anymore.

I remember when I got the Genesis in concert 1976 Trick Tour DVD boot at one show, I was so excited. Ironically, it was later officially released in the (1975-1981) Box set dual (CD/DVD) sets collection at a higher resolution quality.
    And the Mama Tour was also included in the videos Box set but instead of VHS as a DVD release.

The other artist who were releasing all their latest tours (as of 2002) on DVD and CD, was Rush but sadly, that is now a Golden memory etched in Rock history.

I thought someone here had been hoping for a release, but I might be mistaken.
    Ref: Deja Vu. Yes, that was me. The song was released on the first GR album in 1996, but IMO the recent live versions are vastly superior to that studio effort. Paul Carrack is a good singer, but Nad Sylvan conjures up Peter Gabriel brilliantly. Plus the 1996 version doesn't sound like it employs the beloved mellotron. The recent live versions, with Nad and the glorious mellotron IMO presents the song much closer to how it would have sounded in 1973. And it was me that wanted Sean to ask Steve the question if this live version would be officially released in his recent interview. Well I guess I got my wish! And the song truly is a lost Genesis classic. Now I'm waiting for Seven Stones to be performed, one of my all time Genesis favorites.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 08-11-2020 at 03:12 AM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Now I'm waiting for Seven Stones to be performed, one of my all time Genesis favorites.
    I heard it performed by The Musical Box a couple of years ago, and it was sublime. Definitely one of my favourite "minor" Genesis classics. And Steve has special affection for it, being the first track he contributed significantly to as a co-writer (in the middle section). He singled it out when I interviewed him in 1998. Surprising he hasn't dusted it off yet.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I heard it performed by The Musical Box a couple of years ago, and it was sublime. Definitely one of my favourite "minor" Genesis classics. And Steve has special affection for it, being the first track he contributed significantly to as a co-writer (in the middle section). He singled it out when I interviewed him in 1998. Surprising he hasn't dusted it off yet.
    The whole of the song is great, but the ending section with Tony Banks beautiful mellotron and Steve Hackett's soaring guitar is IMO one of early Genesis' finest moments and a highly artistic symphonic prog statement.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Nad is very keen to do it. He played me a demo of Seven Stones that he put together and it sounded brilliant. I think one day they will perform it. It has always been one of my favorite Genesis songs, everything that's great about Genesis in a very conscise form.