Thread: Genesis Catnip

Genesis Catnip

Ultimate Classic Rock takes on the question, "Were Genesis better in the 70s or 80s?" using a roundtable format. If that isn't enough to make your palms sweat, they tag on a ranking of the Top 50 solo albums by Genesis members.

Meow.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/gene...0s-roundtable/

Open link, scroll through a bunch of opinions, stop to read something to see if it's of any interest, instantly see an error (Banks did not use Andy Taylor from Duran Duran on Still - do your homework, you dummies), close link.

All in all, a good fifteen to twenty seconds or so of time-wasting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    "Were Genesis better in the 70s or 80s?"

To quote Lisa (Marisa Tomei) from My Cousin Vinny: "It's a bullsh_ _ question..."

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    "Were Genesis better in the 70s or 80s?"

To quote Lisa (Marisa Tomei) from My Cousin Vinny: "It's a bullsh_ _ question..."
    Of course it is.

Everyone knows they were better in the 60's before Charisma forced them to churn out those AM radio hits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Of course it is.

Everyone knows they were better in the 60's before Charisma forced them to churn out those AM radio hits.

It was all downhill after Rivers Job was out of the picture.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It was all downhill after Rivers Job was out of the picture.
    Nah, it was never the same after John Silver quit the band after the "Genesis To Revelations" album.

(Rivers Jobe was never listed as an actual member of Genesis. I think he went from Anon to Savoy Brown at the time)

70s good but started to show wear with ATTWT (fade-outs...not good)

Duke was good
    Abacab was an experiment that worked at times but some clunkers on that record
    Genesis had a good side one and a mediocre side two
    Invisible Touch had hit songs and a couple of decent 80s Genesis tracks but ends with a sh*t instrumental that has a tiny melody stuck in the middle of the sounds of an industrial accident.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ultimate Classic Rock takes on the question, "Were Genesis better in the 70s or 80s?" using a roundtable format. If that isn't enough to make your palms sweat, they tag on a ranking of the Top 50 solo albums by Genesis members.

Meow.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/gene...0s-roundtable/
    80s Genesis? Wait, what?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    70s good but started to show wear with ATTWT (fade-outs...not good)

Duke was good
    Abacab was an experiment that worked at times but some clunkers on that record
    Genesis had a good side one and a mediocre side two
    Invisible Touch had hit songs and a couple of decent 80s Genesis tracks but ends with a sh*t instrumental that has a tiny melody stuck in the middle of the sounds of an industrial accident.
    In my view this is a succinct and reasonable snapshot synopsis of the 70's and 80's Genesis output. The only attributes I would add are:

70's - Outstanding with diminishing quality and substance toward the end (ATTWT - good but lacks focus, Duke- very good rebound from ATTWT)
    Abacab - what you said above
    Genesis (Shapes) - Agreed, but if only "Home By The Sea" was developed as a side long suite, that would be yummy
    Invisible Touch - Tonight, Land & Domino are near excellence, the rest is just commercial pap that tires one out quickly

And then there were the nineties (ATTWT - 90's)...

No John Silver, No Genesis.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Open link, scroll through a bunch of opinions, stop to read something to see if it's of any interest, instantly see an error (Banks did not use Andy Taylor from Duran Duran on Still - do your homework, you dummies), close link.

All in all, a good fifteen to twenty seconds or so of time-wasting.
    Yep. And regarding Andy Taylor, the actual Genesis News site lists him as the Duran Duran guy. Nuts!

https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Tony-...view-s223.html

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Yep. And regarding Andy Taylor, the actual Genesis News site lists him as the Duran Duran guy. Nuts!

https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Tony-...view-s223.html
    Not their official site, but definitely big enough to know better!

I enjoyed the debate about Genesis in the '70s & '80s at Ultimate Classic Rock. Now, let's them take a similar debate about the '70s & '80s versions of Yes (hee, hee).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    I enjoyed the debate about Genesis in the '70s & '80s at Ultimate Classic Rock. Now, let's them take a similar debate about the '70s & '80s versions of Yes (hee, hee).
    Hee, hee is right.

Now, that's NOT a bullsh-- question!