Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)

Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)

No preamble. I'll just start with one: Beyonce.

I might think she's just one note over and over again. I don't buy her albums. I don't listen to them unless I'm exposed to her music in a coffee shop (when I could go to one), on some pop radio station or on TV. I know all art is subjective, but hers just bounces off of me hard.

But don't criticize her. You are only allowed to say she's a genius and your "Queen". That's it. Any criticism is an affront to the religion that has her at its center - standing on a clamshell with a glow around her head.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Banned
    Count me in the "or else" flock on this artist. Overexposed, overrated, over exalted and thank goodness for the escape button on the radio.

I think the lowest moment in her career was when she crashed Coldplays performance at the Super Bowl 50 halftime show. Apparently brought in to save the public from a "tepid" Coldplay performance, it was disgusting to see her step all over Chris Martin and Company. Voted the worst halftime show in the history of the Super Bowl, but for all the wrong reasons:

Worst Super Bowl halftime performances
    Coldplay, Super Bowl 50

With the 50th Super Bowl approaching, many were curious as to who the league would choose to perform at halftime. When Coldplay was announced, the public's response was tepid. The addition of guests Beyoncé and Bruno Mars helped to try ease the public response, but it wasn't enough.

I suppose you don't mean "Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)" within the prog community?
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

It used to be Bruuuuce!, but I'm not sure anyone knows who he is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Count me in the "or else" flock on this artist. Overexposed, overrated, over exalted and thank goodness for the escape button on the radio.
    Ditto.

Maybe not so much anymore, but there was a time in the late 70s to mid-80s that the darling "punk" band was Talking Heads. In Boston you just couldn't or wouldn't say anything negative about them. The enlightened where I worked and area radio DJs just gushed about how "intelligent" they were. To me all their stuff sounded the same; syncopated funk with clipped vocals and nonsense syllables. Yeah, everything by the Ramones sounded the same, too, but at least they were fun.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    No preamble. I'll just start with one: Beyonce.

I might think she's just one note over and over again. I don't buy her albums. I don't listen to them unless I'm exposed to her music in a coffee shop (when I could go to one), on some pop radio station or on TV.
    I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread, especially considering it starts with Beyonce - on a prog rock forum. Since you would find many would agree with you, it seems more like an attempt to go off and validate your feelings in a "safe space".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Here in the Phoenix area, it's state law and city ordinance one MUST like Alice Cooper.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Over at the stevehoffman site, one simply does not disparage the Beach Boys, Beatles or Monkees, two of which I never had any use for whatsoever, and the other I got sick of 45 years ago.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wouldn't be able to identify a Beyonce tune if you held a gun to my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread, especially considering it starts with Beyonce - on a prog rock forum. Since you would find many would agree with you, it seems more like an attempt to go off and validate your feelings in a "safe space".
    OK. This thread is clearly not for you. I don't know what you want me to say.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Phil Collins ... too soon?

(let the comments fly)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

The Beatles

Say anything against and good lord the wolves embark on their salacious journey towards one's neck!

Gruno, you're a good guy. I'm disappointed that you don't love The Beatles. You're not gonna call 'em a "boy band," right?....

Steven Wilson

Resist!

The two Ronn... i mean Roberts!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Gruno, you're a good guy. I'm disappointed that you don't love The Beatles. You're not gonna call 'em a "boy band," right?....
    They're good, no doubt. I own the stereo/mono box sets.

The Velvet Underground. Many, if not most, of the well known music critics love this band. I don't dislike the VU , they had a few moments of greatness in their music, but I always got the impression that one was not hip unless you namecheck them.

Also Radiohead. I've tried to listen and like them but they don't connect with me on any level. But many people revere them as geniuses. I don't think they are a bad band, I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Phil Collins ... too soon?

(let the comments fly)
    Actually, based on the past discussions here centering on PC's entire career it would be more like "Artists you have to dislike (or else)". You know, the whole "PC ruined Genesis, ruined Prog Rock thing, etc.". At the least he has been a divisive character here and on many other websites.

I tend to concentrate on his work with Genesis (especially up to and including Duke - and some later songs after that), his contributions to Brand X, his playing with various other artists (Hackett, Phillips) and some of his early solo material, all of which sums up a pretty outstanding body of work. I try to forget and put out of my mind his video of "You Can't Hurry Love" . I realize that others are not so forgiving for his later musical transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Maybe not so much anymore, but there was a time in the late 70s to mid-80s that the darling "punk" band was Talking Heads. In Boston you just couldn't or wouldn't say anything negative about them. The enlightened where I worked and area radio DJs just gushed about how "intelligent" they were. To me all their stuff sounded the same; syncopated funk with clipped vocals and nonsense syllables. Yeah, everything by the Ramones sounded the same, too, but at least they were fun.
    You beat me to it with The Ramones. Another band that comes to mind is The Clash. I never could get into them, but they are held with reverence by many.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Actually, based on the past discussions here centering on PC's entire career it would be more like "Artists you have to dislike (or else)". You know, the whole "PC ruined Genesis, ruined Prog Rock thing, etc.". At the least he has been a divisive character here and on many other websites.

I tend to concentrate on his work with Genesis (especially up to and including Duke - and some later songs after that), his contributions to Brand X, his playing with various other artists (Hackett, Phillips) and some of his early solo material, all of which sums up a pretty outstanding body of work. I try to forget and put out of my mind his video of "You Can't Hurry Love" . I realize that others are not so forgiving for his later musical transgressions.
    I think the 'Phil Collins Ruined' thing got stood on its head and nobody with an ounce of wit takes it seriously.

Now, Peter Gabriel, who dares naysay him?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Now, Peter Gabriel, who dares naysay him?
    I'll take a sledgehammer to anyone who does.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

There's a lot of shots you can take at Gabriel. I'm not going to do it here, but he's far from a sacred cow.