Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)

Why the hate for the "like it or else" thread? If you read the various posts, there are members who are explaining why they don't care for the various artists output and conversely there are those who are staunchly defending the artists as being the real deal (Prince, for instance). I don't see a lot of cheap shots being taken and many are just offering their view of why they don't care for artists who get a lot of worship from the public. When artists put themselves in the public eye, they are going to get positive and sometimes negative feedback. It comes with the territory. And, as far as Prog Ears members commenting on straight ahead rock or R & B artists, that isn't anything new in the Off Topic forum.

When it comes to Prince, I liked some of his songs and I thought he was an exciting live performer (including his Superbowl half time show). However, I don't see him meriting the legendary status that has been given him by the media or the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I can't stand Ephemeral Sun. Not sure why but for some reason they take this very personally and have let me know in no uncertain terms just how unacceptable my opinion is.
    I am shocked, shocked I say!
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Why the hate for the "like it or else" thread?
    Because Some people find your lack of appreciation a personal attack on their taste.
    After all, Why Don't You Like [X]?

I have been 'burned' more than a few times by blindly following glowing ( one might say 'like it or else' ) recommendations of bands or music and finding them to be stinky poo piles IMHO.
    In the interest of wanting to be a member of the community in spite of occasional stinkers, I keep looking and keeping somewhat quiet when it comes to others taste in music.
    It's a big tent, or perhaps a bunch of interconnected tents. There are some 'big tent pole' bands, some seem bigger in the rear view mirror.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Why the hate for the "like it or else" thread?
    Because, as Poisoned Youth implied, it smacks of sour grapes. It has the look of a bunch of older Prog fans, taking shots at music/artists that are currently popular, or were years ago. At a minimum, it's not a good look, and I expect that Sean (PY) would like to see us be better than that. The likelihood that it's not all taste, but may have an element of jealousy, doesn't enhance the thread either.

If this thread goes away, I won't be able to sink my teeth into my impending Todd Rundgren post.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Because Some people find your lack of appreciation a personal attack on their taste.
    After all, Why Don't You Like [X]?

I have been 'burned' more than a few times by blindly following glowing ( one might say 'like it or else' ) recommendations of bands or music and finding them to be stinky poo piles IMHO.
    In the interest of wanting to be a member of the community in spite of occasional stinkers, I keep looking and keeping somewhat quiet when it comes to others taste in music.
    It's a big tent, or perhaps a bunch of interconnected tents. There are some 'big tent pole' bands, some seem bigger in the rear view mirror.
    THIS! I have a PILE of CD's I "must own" and to me they sound like "a pile"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Dolly Parton. My God, just look at those Dolly Woods.
    Yes. Brings back mammories.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama