Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Now, Peter Gabriel, who dares naysay him?
    Love him with Genesis. I personally find his solo stuff terribly dull, but I respect that he's gone the way he wanted. It's just not a direction I particularly enjoy.

Bill

I have a Peter Gabriel album. It's the one with San Jacinto. I 've hardly played it three or four times in 20 years.

I've got one word for you: grunge! That whole stupid..."movement" or whatever it was. Banish all those bands back to the Pacific Northwest hole they crawled out of, as far as I'm concerned. Put on some Uriah Heep, man!

Not a music artist, but I really feel like Robinson Crusoe for not enjoying Star Trek in any form.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Not a music artist, but I really feel like Robinson Crusoe for not enjoying Star Trek in any form.
    How about Robinson Crusoe on Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Doctor Who is better anyway.

Neil Young and Bob Dylan. I don't love them, sorry. Gifted songwriters, no doubt. But I can't listen to them much.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Fripp's and Oldfield's annoying guitar tones...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    I suppose you don't mean "Artists You Have To Like (Or Else)" within the prog community?
    Steven Wilson & Yes

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It used to be Bruuuuce!, but I'm not sure anyone knows who he is these days.
    I'll see your Bruuuuuce and counter you with a Miiiiiiichael and a Priiiiiiince.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wouldn't be able to identify a Beyonce tune if you held a gun to my head.
    Ditto... I confuse her with Shakira, Mariah, Britney, Spice Girls and all those other female performers.

But still not saying one glorious word about them, makes you beotian to most mainstreamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Neil Young and Bob Dylan. I don't love them, sorry. Gifted songwriters, no doubt. But I can't listen to them much.
    I'll take Neil over His Bobness (OI own a few albums of the former and none of the latter), but I will not glorify or diss either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ditto about Neil Young. Loved him in the Buffalo Springfield; not at all as a solo.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Around here, Rio and Avant Prog

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'll see your Bruuuuuce and counter you with a Miiiiiiichael and a Priiiiiiince.
    Yeah, except with Prince it's earned -- he was a top-notch musician. He deserves all those accolades.

^ And when Bruce was being lionized, there was no Prince, and Michael was a little kid recording with his brothers.

^ And when Bruce was being lionized, there was no Prince, and Michael was a little kid recording with his brothers.
    Good point. And to be fair, even though I don't care for much of Bruce's music I like him as a person. He seems like a decent human being.

I do like a fair bit of Michael Jackson's music though, at least during the 80s.

If you are an avid Prog magazine reader, it's Opeth. They can do no wrong, apparently.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've got one word for you: grunge! That whole stupid..."movement" or whatever it was. Banish all those bands back to the Pacific Northwest hole they crawled out of, as far as I'm concerned. Put on some Uriah Heep, man!
    I too hated grunge with a passion back in the day. That drastically changed when a client at work wanted me to learn to play a few grunge songs. I found it's not so basic after all. There's quite a bit more complexity and talent than I, and many others gave them credit for. Mind you: I'm referring to true grunge, not the copy cat bands like Nickelback or Creed.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Bruce came onto a whole different stardom fame scale with his Born in the USA album, once MTV had kicked in. More than Bruce, I'm shooting at the latter culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Good point. And to be fair, even though I don't care for much of Bruce's music I like him as a person. He seems like a decent human being.

I do like a fair bit of Michael Jackson's music though, at least during the 80s.
    Yeah, I don't think BS was nearly close to the other two I mentionned, probably because he didn't expect the sudden MTV celebrity (hence my post), baxked by a sickening presidential campaign , unlike MJ & P who cpmldly camculated on it.

I've always disliked MJ's solo career (though I didn't detest the J5), yet the MTV brainwashing (enven though I shunned it) made him unavoidable, and I really thought it was becoming when he declared he looooooooved sp muchchildren (can't believe the medias (and justice let him bet away with that), let alone his sickening wish to become white.

As for Prince, I always perceived hiom as such an arrogant cunt, that I might have overlooked (a bit) his music.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

No going to bite this big juicy worm.
    I've got a list, and it stays with me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Queen
    Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Kate Bush
    I'm with you on Kate Bush. And for all the accolades Prince gets as a great musician, I've never been the least bit interested in any of his music, which I find utterly dull. Never got the appeal of this guy.

Bill

Prince's actual personality out of the spotlight was quite a bit different from his on-stage persona. He was a performer, and his stage presence was all an act. I can understand why one might think he was arrogant based on that, but I don't believe he actually was. While he must have been aware of his prodigious talent -- seriously, were there any instruments he couldn't play? -- he was a pretty meek and mild person based on the anecdotes I've read from others. One person described him as seeming a bit shy even, when they worked with him on one studio track.

He put in the work to get to where he was, which is something I respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes.
    No.

(apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Kate Bush
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm with you on Kate Bush.
    Heresy.

But seriously... Kate's a legend, and rightly so. She was a pioneer of her time -- c'mon guys, she was one of the earliest people to utilize the Fairlight CMI, which she used on her albums starting in 1980! She also paved the way for other idiosyncratic female artists like Bjork and Tori Amos (who the record label wanted to be another Kate Bush, but that didn't happen).

(Cue the Bjork and Tori Amos haters now...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    And for all the accolades Prince gets as a great musician, I've never been the least bit interested in any of his music, which I find utterly dull. Never got the appeal of this guy.

Bill
    Prince's music, dull? He was so all over the map during his lifespan, and that's not an exaggeration. His music may be many things, but "dull" is not a word I'd ever use to describe it (except maybe for the song "Purple Rain").

Bill, I respect your opinion on a lot of things, but this one really caught me by surprise. I just... I dunno. I think you guys are missing out, that's really what it comes down to. I didn't "discover" Prince's music until after his death really. My parents did not like him so I was never exposed to his music growing up (other than the radio staples) and I never understood why people hailed him as a genius -- until I actually heard enough of his music to realize that those people were right, and I was wrong. He ranks right up there with Bowie in terms of artistic vision and breadth of work.

What would a prog forum be without disagreement, right?

My wife laments that she never got to go to a Prince show. I wouldn't buy tickets.
    His music was never all that to me, but pretty much everyone I know ( and most reviews ) said that he treated his audience to excessive wait times beyond the official start ( sometimes hours ).
    IMHO, nobody is worth that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown