Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some recent discoveries and indulgences

Some recent discoveries and indulgences

In A recent email exchange with our dear Chalkpie I shared some of my more recent discoveries indulgences
    and despite not being really Progressive I thought some of you might enjoy these too or share their opinions/ thoughts
    will post some clips

Old Skool 70's Funk
    Roy Ayers - Coffy (1973) Change Up The Groove (1974) , He's Coming (1972) Ubiquity (1970)
    Betty Davis (1973) They Say I'm Different (1974)

Experimental electronic , musique concrete etc.
    Stringtronics-Mindbender (1972)
    Pierre Henry & Michel Legrrand - Messe Pour Le Temps Présent
    André Popp - Delirium in Hi-Fi (1958)
    Bernard Parmegiani - De Natura Sonorum
    The Essential Perrey & Kingsley (1966-1967) ,
    Raymond Scott Soothing Sounds For Baby
    Bernard Parmegiani - Pop'eclectic
    Ferrante & Teicher Denizens Of The Deep (1950)
    Delia Derbyshire - Blue Veils & Golden Sands

Kozmic Groove
    Herbie Hancock ‎– Sextant
    Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto* ‎– Love, Love
    Eddie Henderson Realization
    Dorothy Ashby Afro-Harping The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby (1970)

Scores
    Bernard Herrman Farenheit 451 , The Day the Earth Stood Still ,The Devil And Daniel Webster etc. etc.
    Peter Thomas Soundorchester Raumpatrouille
    Jerry Goldsmith Planet Of The Apes In Like Flint & Our Man Flint (1966, 1967) The Omen
    Henry Macini Hatari! (1962) Wait Until Dark (1967)
    Les Baxter- The Dunwich Horror (1970) Jewels Of The Sea , Space Escapade (1958)
    Alain Goraguer-La Planete Sauvage (1973)

UDI! Nice list man!

I hope you are well. I suppose I'd also better hope that you remember me and our conversations back on the old PE boards lol...

I'm familiar with a handful of these, and love them all.

André Popp - Delirium in Hi-Fi LOVE this album! Tons of fun.

Raymond Scott - A true genius and innovator. I own the deluxe digi-pack-book version of the Manhattan Research Project, and it's definitly a prized item.

Ferrante & Teicher - The Grand Twins of the Twin Grands! Love, love these guys. My buddy and I, way back in our record store-scouring days, would come across MANY an F&T album; usually residing in the bargain bins. We found it humorous that they had so many damn albums. The laughing stopped when we actually started listening to them & discovered how ultra-cool these nerdy-looking guys really were.

Bernard Hermann, Jerry Goldsmith, Henry Mancini Three of my top 10 score composers, no question. I'm particularly fond of much of Goldsmith's work, though I've never dug deep into Planet of the Apes.

Les Baxter - Tiki/ Exotica/ Mid-Century/ Space Age music has been one of my main obsessions since starting my Las Vegas history project years ago. There is simply no substitute for this genre. It serves a specific purpose: It takes you far, far away from all the BS.

This tune, this version most definitely changed my perception of music and broadened my horizons sometime back around the mid-1980s:

-----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Experimental electronic , musique concrete etc.
    Stringtronics-Mindbender (1972)
    Pierre Henry & Michel Legrrand - Messe Pour Le Temps Présent
    André Popp - Delirium in Hi-Fi (1958)
    Bernard Parmegiani - De Natura Sonorum
    The Essential Perrey & Kingsley (1966-1967) ,
    Raymond Scott Soothing Sounds For Baby
    Bernard Parmegiani - Pop'eclectic
    Delia Derbyshire - Blue Veils & Golden Sands
    This is the batch that has me eyes gleamin' and twinklin'.....I'm sure that Michael (NeuroticDog) will pop in here because this stuff (some?) is his jam. I think Johnny Batts too?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Tangento View Post
    UDI! Nice list man!

I hope you are well. I suppose I'd also better hope that you remember me and our conversations back on the old PE boards lol...

I'm familiar with a handful of these, and love them all.

André Popp - Delirium in Hi-Fi LOVE this album! Tons of fun.

Raymond Scott - A true genius and innovator. I own the deluxe digi-pack-book version of the Manhattan Research Project, and it's definitly a prized item.

Ferrante & Teicher - The Grand Twins of the Twin Grands! Love, love these guys. My buddy and I, way back in our record store-scouring days, would come across MANY an F&T album; usually residing in the bargain bins. We found it humorous that they had so many damn albums. The laughing stopped when we actually started listening to them & discovered how ultra-cool these nerdy-looking guys really were.

Bernard Hermann, Jerry Goldsmith, Henry Mancini Three of my top 10 score composers, no question. I'm particularly fond of much of Goldsmith's work, though I've never dug deep into Planet of the Apes.

Les Baxter - Tiki/ Exotica/ Mid-Century/ Space Age music has been one of my main obsessions since starting my Las Vegas history project years ago. There is simply no substitute for this genre. It serves a specific purpose: It takes you far, far away from all the BS.

This tune, this version most definitely changed my perception of music and broadened my horizons sometime back around the mid-1980s:

Hey man of course I remember !
    I have been running the Avant Progressive group at FB for many years yet never stopped lurking and sharing amongst these pages mainly because of my friends here!

I'm particularly fond of much of Goldsmith's work, though I've never dug deep into Planet of the Apes.

Fantastic score
    Bartok Hermann etc.
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 08-02-2020 at 02:24 AM.

I bought Love Love when it first came out- it is still great stuff 40 years later.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I bought Love Love when it first came out- it is still great stuff 40 years later.

Dana Julian Priester was a part of Priester was a member of Sun Ra's big band,
    Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi
    And played on John Coltrane's Africa/Brass album

Mwandishi’s Sextant and Crossings are classics
    Those who dig Love Love check out Eddie Henderson’s Realization (1973)
    Inside Out (1974)
    Sunburst (1975)
    Superb kozmic groove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kozmic Groove
    Herbie Hancock ‎– Sextant
    Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto* ‎– Love, Love
    Eddie Henderson Realization
    Dorothy Ashby Afro-Harping The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby (1970)
    Dana Julian Priester was a part of Priester was a member of Sun Ra's big band,
    Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi
    And played on John Coltrane's Africa/Brass album

Mwandishi’s Sextant and Crossings are classics
    Those who dig Love Love check out Eddie Henderson’s Realization (1973)
    Inside Out (1974)
    Sunburst (1975)
    Superb kozmic groove
    Right up my alley , except for maybe Dorothy Ashby (which I find boring/uneventfull - if you want a kozmic harpist, check out Alice Coltrane
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    In A recent email exchange with our dear Chalkpie I shared some of my more recent discoveries indulgences
    and despite not being really Progressive I thought some of you might enjoy these too or share their opinions/ thoughts
    will post some clips

Actually, these two "nerdy guys" were quite "progressive", as noted below from their Wiki write-up. As a kid, I bought their singles such as "Theme From The Apartment", "Exodus" and many other soundtrack pieces from movies and plays that were popularized in the 60's. Geniuses indeed.

"The duo also experimented with prepared pianos, adding paper, sticks, rubber, wood blocks, metal bars, chains, glass, mallets, and other found objects to piano string beds. In this way they were able to produce a variety of bizarre sounds that sometimes resembled percussion instruments, and at other times resulted in special effects that sounded as if they were electronically synthesized."

Udi- I know! :-) Priester was really active in that Afro-futurist shift at the time- Mwandishi, his own work, etc. He is 85 now.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

hey hey hey

Nice list Udi! And thanks for name checking me Frankie

Firstly, some of you (maybe most of you) may be aware of this list:

http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov.html

For me, it was the definitive list of kozmigroove artists/albums and it has served as my main reference. I fed off this list for a long time and believe me, it will leave you sufficiently sated. Indulge...and don't look back, there are some amazing things on this list!

Secondly, whenever I see Parms name dropped on PE, you know I gots to get involved. Because of this thread I listened to De Natura Sonorum last night in it's entirety. I know it's considered one of his essential classics, and I also remember that Udi has brought up this piece before in various other contexts, so I assume he really likes it, correct Udi?

If I may opine, the piece absolutely deserves any and all accolades it gets. It's a major milestone in Parms career and it was hugely groundbreaking in acousmatic circles...and still is. It's a piece that I would have no misgivings at recommending to anyone that wants to start exploring the field. It's influential, timeless and surreal, so anyone that wants to experience acousmatic, perhaps for the first time, you can go ahead and start here. If it resonates for you, then open your wallets and your minds and travel the road less travelled. This music will change your genetic makeup.

...but...

that being said, it's not my favorite Parm. It's probably in my top 10, but it's probably between 5-10. I guess that's saying something to the richness of his output. My main "problem" (if you can call it that) is that some of the chosen sounds are a bit harsh to me. It's almost as if he boosted some of the metallic sounds (alot of various cymbals and other metal objects are used in this piece) to the point of approaching the threshold of pain if you are listening to it at higher volumes. In that case, this is not a piece to listen to at higher volumes, and you'll know this after the first second of hearing it with the very loud metallic THRRAWK that occurs.

But since you are now all forewarned (you all are going to listen to it...right?? ), just make sure you turn the volume down to about 6 or 7 and it will be fine. Once into the piece, you will be treated to all sorts of forward thinking sound manipulations. Just to generalize here without deconstructing every minute of the 53 minute piece...it's like experiencing a highly detailed fractallated micro-cosmos. Sounds are stretched, speeded up and sliced into hundreds of separate parts that, as a whole reminds me of what it MUST be like if you were instilled (personally, by Elon Musk) with one of his neural nets which, in effect would allow you to experience the metaverse.

got me?

People should listen to it! (but not off Youtube, so no link)

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 08-02-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I also like Blast Off!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

For me, it was the definitive list of kozmigroove artists/albums and it has served as my main reference. I fed off this list for a long time and believe me, it will leave you sufficiently sated. Indulge...and don't look back, there are some amazing things on this list!

Secondly, whenever I see Parms name dropped on PE, you know I gots to get involved. Because of this thread I listened to De Natura Sonorum last night in it's entirety. I know it's considered one of his essential classics, and I also remember that Udi has brought up this piece before in various other contexts, so I assume he really likes it, correct Udi?
    If I may opine, the piece absolutely deserves any and all accolades it gets. It's a major milestone in Parms career and it was hugely groundbreaking in acousmatic circles...and still is. It's a piece that I would have no misgivings at recommending to anyone that wants to start exploring the field. It's influential, timeless and surreal, so anyone that wants to experience acousmatic, perhaps for the first time, you can go ahead and start here. If it resonates for you, then open your wallets and your minds and travel the road less travelled. This music will change your genetic makeup.

...but...

that being said, it's not my favorite Parm. l
    Regarding the kozmigroove list - as with other lists of this type its way too comprehensive - I prefer a more "essential" lists as these tend to delude the essence

About BP yes I admit linking it and did you notice I even namedropped another one that I dig
    Do tell wich one are your favorites

Thanks guys. You just reminded me that I haven't listened to Love, Love in a long time since I bought it, so I'm gonna queue that one up this morning.

Guys the Funk section is just as essential especially Mr. Roy Ayers

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh man, more exploring to do, wheeeeee!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh man, more exploring to do, wheeeeee!!
    We live for this (exploring and discovering) right ?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Absolutely!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

Michael - Where do these sit with you(?):

Memoire Magnetique Vol I
    Les Soliel...
    La Brulure...
    Rock

These are all on Tidal.

Guys the Funk section is just as essential especially Mr. Roy Ayers
    OH yeah.

That Stringtronics sounds great, but WTF is it?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks guys. You just reminded me that I haven't listened to Love, Love in a long time since I bought it, so I'm gonna queue that one up this morning.
    Fantastic album. A shame that he made so few recordings as a leader.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That Stringtronics sounds great, but WTF is it?
    Its a one-off recording done for library music
    The original vinyl fetches plenty cash
    The recording , arrangements are exquisite
    If you dig this be sure to check Axelrod’s Song of Innocence

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Fantastic album. A shame that he made so few recordings as a leader.
    It really is, on both counts. And a great sounding recording too.