Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identify The Prog Band

Steve got back to me (many thanks to him!): "Definitely not Max Speed Limit. Not even close." OK - back to the drawing board.... I'll keep my ears to the ground on it. Hope the real story emerges. Signing off. Please do let me know if more data comes forth.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtastic View Post
    hmm Terry Saunders does not seem to be credited on "Speed on Wheels" either in that review or on Discogs...
    Hi folks, first timer. Love the forum.
    Just some thoughts on the mystery music:

I agree that this is likely a demo. It also sounds like someone recorded the demo on a cassete from the original, given the sounds in the background, and it sounding mono, but the original sounds like perhaps a 4 track was used.

The Night Bird song on Speed on Wheels is over 5 minutes, compared to under 3 on the cassette. While an extended version is possible, that seems like a stretch.

On the possibility that the song could be "Nightbird," I would submit this as worth exploring:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/762923-Howard-Seal

I have been unable to find this particular song, but the genres on the album and timing seem reasonable as a possible lead.

The Seal song also perhaps ties in with the New York DJ Alison Steele, AKA, "The Nightbird." Althought that could certainly just be coincidental.

Thanks, and looking forward to enjoying the cool stuff on the pages!

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Acedoc View Post
    On the possibility that the song could be "Nightbird," I would submit this as worth exploring:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/762923-Howard-Seal

I have been unable to find this particular song, but the genres on the album and timing seem reasonable as a possible lead.
    interesting lead, I found someone who seems to have a copy of that album, waiting to see if they can verify the Nightbird track...

thanks for doing tha ashratom! you're right, back to the drawing board!

UPDATE: the OP uploaded an HQ version of the tape to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJIlRd7GjLU

UPDATE: the OP uploaded an HQ version of the tape to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJIlRd7GjLU
    Oh, wow. Originally I was pretty sure it was a live audience recorded bootleg (or old soundboard given the lack of audience noise) but this new version doesn't sound like that at all. Hmmmmm... I still have no idea who/what this is though.

It's pretty amazing that in the day of the internet nobody has identified this yet. Wouldn't it be cool if this was a promo for a new retro band or something? If so, I'm buying their album.

interesting lead, I found someone who seems to have a copy of that album, waiting to see if they can verify the Nightbird track...
    so, the guy got back to me about this track, unfortuntately it's not that either....

it's amazing we have no leads, the HQ version sounds quite polished, as well they sound pretty tight, I would be surprised if this was only a demo from an completely unknown band...

In the YT comments the poster said they got the tape from a charity shop on Swansea UK so probably a band from the UK.

The mystery has not been solved yet? Really??? With all these music needs on here...
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The mystery has not been solved yet? Really??? With all these music needs on here...
    Needs must when the devil drives.