Thread: HELP! DVD/BR rip software?

HELP! DVD/BR rip software?

I have quite a few concert DVDs/BluRays that I'd like to rip to my PC before the disc rots. I've had this happen to a couple, most notably Steve Vai in Astoria, Kansas, and others such as Babylon 5 and As Time Goes By. It's driving me nuts, and I'd like to archive some of these before they go. Not to mention some are hard to find now!

I got Handbrake, but there's several it won't work on, either because of some title crap, or they're copy-protected. I am NOT selling anything; rather, I just don't wish to lose what I've already paid for. I've even bought some, like the Vai and Kansas, twice.

I'd also like to be able to slip the audio or video in time a bit, because some aren't very well sync'd (Yessongs, anyone?). I'm willing to buy the SW, but it seems no one talks about this aspect. I'm not making pro videos, so I don't need $400 SW, but surely there's something out there that can help me archive these concert videos, and maybe improve them (sync) just a bit?

Anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately, I'm a PC guy (can't afford the Apple route), but there must be something out there that's not too expensive.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Read this PC Magazine article:
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-free-dvd-rippers It has a Handbrake workaround.

Yeah, I would love to extract the audio from my EPOK Magma dvds but have no clue how to go about that.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

DVD Audio Extractor is an easy way to rip audio from DVDs. For Blu Rays you can also use it, but first you have to get past copy protection, using MakeMV, which will make a protection-free copy on your hard drive. You then just point DVDAE at it, and it's similar to ripping a DVD.

I've been doing this for years, especially to rip high res files from DVDs and BRs, and once you use both pieces of software for a few titles, it becomes second nature-like easy.

Cheers!
    J
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Oh my god, this is something that wakes me up in the night. What if I outlive my DVD and become a senile 80 years old that will not be able to listen to my Kansas dvd, which is completely different to the 35 other live editions that are easily available on the internet? Wouldn't that destroy completely my retirement? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Oh my god, this is something that wakes me up in the night. What if I outlive my DVD and become a senile 80 years old that will not be able to listen to my Kansas dvd, which is completely different to the 35 other live editions that are easily available on the internet? Wouldn't that destroy completely my retirement? Please help.
    Keep a cyanide capsule close at hand, and swallow it if you are captured.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Keep a cyanide capsule close at hand, and swallow it if you are captured.
    I've already done that, but I am not reassured - maybe I should swallow it just in case, but I am a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Then you can listen to your Boston, UK, Japan, Chicago, Houston, Beirut, Berlin, Alabama, America, or Asia DVDs instead.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Then you can listen to your Boston, UK, Japan, Chicago, Houston, Beirut, Berlin, Alabama, America, or Asia DVDs instead.
    oregon.jpg

Anybody got Laserdisc ripping software?

And Europe

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Read this PC Magazine article:
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-free-dvd-rippers It has a Handbrake workaround.
    That works, thanks. Now to find some cheap video editing SW that will allow time-slipping. But at least I can get these converted. I used to have Vegas Video, but that was quite a while back. It's way past valid.

Oh, and thanks to the silly ass for the vain attempt at humour...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.co...PtCllArZvjlyXI This Vegas Studio 17 is their lowest price version at under $50.

I have the full blown Vegas Pro & the Vegas Studio (older versions) and I use both interchangeably depending on the complexity of the project.

I've been using MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor for many years to rip Blu-ray and DVD-Audio to FLAC (including 5.1). Works perfectly. For straight DVD rips of video I use RedFox AnyDVD (it just mounts it as an unencrypted version of the disc and you can just copy it over to wherever you like).

Playback of video is on a Raspberry Pi with VLC. Never tried editing or anything. I just want to keep everything as original as possible. Audio playback is a completely custom solution (also running on a Raspberry Pi).

MakeMKV to copy the DVD/BD to your HD, and remove any protection.
    Handbrake to rip the Video files, and I used this as inspiration for the settings, which you can adapt:
    https://www.thewebernets.com/2019/01...-january-2019/
    DVD Audio Extractor to rip Audio files (it does BDs too, but you need a more recent version, I have version 7.5.0)

You forgot Cairo and Kansas.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

i got this free a few years back. works pretty good too..

WinX DVD Ripper. unfortunately, it doesn't support Blu-Ray but this link should give you ideas for alternatives..

BDR Ripper
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    I have the full blown Vegas Pro & the Vegas Studio (older versions) and I use both interchangeably depending on the complexity of the project.
    cool.. another Vegas fan. i have Studio 16 Platinum and i've created a bunch of Blu-Ray's with it.
    i needed to get an external BDR burner (Pioneer) and a stack of writable BDR disks.
    basically, a BDR consists of a single .iso file so you may be able to do a simple data disk copy.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel